Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmoller87

What drapes for this nursery?

lmoller87
last year

I am 25 days from my due date and still have to put the finishing touches on my nursery. The window treatments are super important bc I need blackout shades for naps.

What would you do for drapes? A friend suggest yellow velvet drapes.

Comments (21)

• einportlandor
    last year

If you're using black out shades I'd go with simple white panels -- cotton or linen. Or sheers.

• Lyn Nielson
    last year

Blinds.com a simple Inside mount Bamboo shade top down/bottom up for privacy, light control and minimal space. They come in many color options. not to mention fast delivery

• arcy_gw
    last year

No drapes. Toddlers will pull them down! No black out. Babies will learn to sleep better if you do not make unreal situations!!! Shades with a pretty valance or roman shades no hanging cords.

• chispa
    last year
    last modified: last year

Is this your first? I did crazy stuff for my first and he was the worst sleeper! My second had the bassinet on the main floor and slept while the rest of us made noise. He ended up being a much better sleeper.

Don't go crazy trying to get this done. The baby will sleep just fine with or without window coverings.

• PRO
    The Best Dressed House
    last year

Roman shades !

• lmoller87
    Original Author
    last year

@chispa hi! No it’s my second. But we have a big gap between both. We used the nursery from the getgo. I don’t sleep well and have a lot of sleep disturbances so my husband or mom do the nights for me.

• lmoller87
    Original Author
    last year

I was also thinking Roman shades. Bamboo in a light color right?

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Sweet room 😃

I agree you want window coverings you can pull up out of reach of babies and kids. Yellow would look nice - so would green. If you need blackout, a darker color might be better for that.

IMPE, bamboo shades let in a lot of light.

• lmoller87
    Original Author
    last year

Could I do a bamboo with a liner?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I am in the camp of let babies get used to noise and light to some extent No cords and for sure no velvet in a kids room. I used to vacuum whil my kids slept with the stereo on and they all are good sleepers. I like the idea of the corless blinds with maybe a staionary roman shade for some color.

• njmomma
    last year

I believe in dark rooms for naps and portable, rechargeable sound machine for the room.

The sound machine is easily packed in a diaper bag for any time use.

I have even taken it on travel. Love it!

• anj_p
    last year

UGH. OP wasn't asking for sleep advice. None of the people on this forum are child sleep experts. If you want sleep advice, get it from the experts, not a home design forum. (I read a few books on it, and guess what? Like MOST OF US kids sleep better in dark environments with no noise or (preferably) white noise. The sleep babies and kids get in a busy bustling environment is not quality sleep. They sleep because they're tired and they have to, but it's just like the sleep most people get on an airplane. Obviously there are exceptions but telling people to deliberately give their child a poor environment for sleeping...well, it's poor advice). This book has a lot of information on child sleep based on sleep studies (science!!!): https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Sleep-Habits-Happy-Child/dp/0593158547/ref=asc_df_0593158547/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=560440526833&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15248539332948110794&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=2840&hvtargid=pla-1407652737819&psc=1

I used blackout drapes in my kids room. She didn't pull them down. She also didn't spend much time in her room aside from sleeping. We actually made them, which was quite the endeavor - but a lot of "blackout" shades that you buy aren't really blackout. To get quality blackout you need double lined curtains. If you want to go that route I might consider using a double rod with an inner blackout liner and an outer decorative one.

I think yellow velvet might be a bit much but maybe a yellow pattern would work. We had a similar color (yellow & orange owls) and used a yellow patterned curtain. Looked and worked great. We also had blinds on those windows so we'd pull the blinds and close the curtains for naps.

We also used a sound machine.

Current house we have blackout cellular shades that work really well. We have those in all of our rooms, because all of us like sleeping in the dark. And all of us like sleeping with white noise as well.

• lmoller87
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all. I am thinking about doing the bamboo woven shades. I am going to try to mock it up.

My last daughter was such a bad napper. We tried to get her to nap wherever but she just wouldn’t nap! Her eyes would be red! Till this day she never ever naps. She was the only one that didn’t nap in prek3. Thankfully she was always a good nighttime sleeper. Hopefully this one will be a little easier.

• arcy_gw
    last year

It has nothing to do with light/noise during the day. Everyone will do what works best for them but the Docs will tell you and told me nap them in the living room where there's life going on and they will learn to sleep with light and noise. They come from a

very noisy place and sleep well in hospital nurseries with LIGHTS GLARING before they come to your home. You TEACH/TRAIN them their sleep needs!!!! I am glad the noise machine was easy for you to provide since you CAUSED the need for it!!!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

...Best in any kids room and good forever? Shutters. White. Why?

They give you a finish, they give you versatility in light, they last for years and years!!! they are not gender specific. They need no other soft treatment, and they have NO CORDS. They work with every paint color over the many years to follow. Any Loews or Home Depot for those. Go to one. They measure and install.

Beyond that?

You teach a baby to sleep, and the baby teaches him or herself. The room need not be a tomb. A tired, fed, dry diapered infant can sleep under a surgery light. With a vacuum running. In the car in broad daylight! All you need is regularity of bath time, bedtime in the evening, nap time........to the hour. Same time, Every single night/day. Quietly shut the door, and do not go back for the first whimper. Get ear plugs if you must. This is your gift to YOU and the baby. He/she is learning to be alone.

A friend of mine with five girls,( triplets,) and all under age five said this:

"The battle for control begins at the cradle. Lose there, and lose forever. They whimper, cry a little.....cry a lot. They soon figure out " gee, this isn't working" and then go off into dreamland. No, You're not a mean mommy.

But they are indeed little animals, and very smart ones at that: )

• lmoller87
    Original Author
    last year

Okay guys. This is crazy. I honestly just came here for some design advice to finish my bedroom. It’s insane that this has turned into a debate about sleep training. Please moving forward just advice on drapes/Roman shades.

• njmomma
    last year

Find the window treatment you love and add a blackout roller shade or blackout cellular shade etc. they come in many colors,that can be lifted when light is needed. This way you have more options on window treatment.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

LOL...... shutters , And add the curtains after toddler years : )

• Allison0704
    last year

We have cordless blackout woven shades in our MBR and they will be installed in all the guest rooms in January. I wanted to try out first. We have lined woven shades in the living areas, but not blackout. Our windows are deep, so the blinds are inset, leaving a tiny area on either side that daylight can creep in through. With your windows, you would do outside mount that goes across both windows and avoid. Cordless, which the store owner told me in 2023 they will no longer make corded shades (sounded like across the board). You can always add panels later, if desired.

Congrats on #2. The nursery is lovely.

ETA: DD2 used these and curtain panels in their house home with a newborn (from birth to 2yo) before moving.

• njmomma
    last year

Love the shutters!

• Maureen
    last year

Nursey is lovely and I’m sure you are anxious to get the window treatment figured out. Drapes will hide some of the mural, which would be a shame. Lined, cordless roman blinds would be nice and adding pompoms would be sweet. A seamstress could make these up at less cost if budget is a concern and ask how much fabric is needed, which you could order on line and Etsy has pompoms.

https://www.onlinefabricstore.com/ivory-belgian-linen-herringbone-fabric-.htm

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz