Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_621748274

Need Help with Throw pillows on low profile sectional

Hi all,

We'd love some advice on throw pillows for our sectional. We bought these the other day and we think the square ones (20") are too big. The white lumbar is from the acent chair on the opposite side of the couch. We also have another lumbar pillow that we can change the cover.

What do you recommend? Smaller square ones? Where should they be placed?

Comments (46)

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

i would use an 18" pillow. How many depends on your penchant for using/moving them. The simplest is the same size in all 3 corners. I would not use a smaller one in the center.

I'd choose art first and then pillows.

Sandra Fabiano thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • Sandra Fabiano
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Patricia. I agree; it has to be practical too. So you think another table lamp will help with the lighting? This is during the day, but it is overcast. We're also debating on artwork; one large piece or several framed pieces. Sounds like we should add some pops of color.

• njmomma
    last year

This style sofa does not require pillows. I agree with @Patricia. Add art for color and add pillows for comfort in a storage ottoman or storage coffee table to be used when needed. You can possibly add a throw for color. A faux animal throw, I think could look nice. Of course, I don’t know the look your going for.

• Sandra Fabiano
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you also to CDR Design and njmomma. We'll look into artwork first and then pillows. We have a throw already and will try that instead of the pillows. Any advice on artwork, adding another table/floor lamp and if we should hang curtains? We want a contemporary look but maybe with some coastal theme (the opposite wall is a turquoise-like blue).

• la_la Girl
    last year

arianna belle has some great ideas on approaching pillows for sectionals - i love a good throw pillow to add texture and help bring the room together

Sandra Fabiano thanked la_la Girl
  • njmomma
    last year

I don't know your budget and art is very personal.....so consider these decor...Something that may or may not fit your what you had in mind or your budget. I did a quick look right here on house and just shopped for you :-)

Abstract Beach Landscape Pastel Cubism Painting, 30 x 24 · More Info

Bassett Mirror Gallery Wrap Summer Solitude Wall Art In Blue Finish 7300-136EC · More Info

Framed Boats At Sea Abstract Acrylic Painting on Canvas for Traditional Coastal · More Info

Sandra Fabiano thanked njmomma
  • njmomma
    last year

Reflections Series No. 11 · More Info

Sandra Fabiano thanked njmomma
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

If you want a coastal, contemporary theme, I recommend

1) remove the black end table

2) 2 nesting tables could stay where they are or stay nested and move around.

3) Yes to drapes. You will need to pull your sectional out

In order to advise you further, please post all 4 walls of the space.

• Maureen
    last year
    last modified: last year

Before choosing art, can you show a picture of the entire wall on left. The art’s size and location is really important and perhaps should be centered on the wall. If there is room, can sectional be moved over (skip the white table if need be). A coffee table would help balance that area and it and your art will really finish it off nicely. If adding pillows, see below.

Sandra Fabiano thanked Maureen
  • Sandra Fabiano
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you to all for your help! I appreciate it so much! I like the artwork @njmomma; thank you! Here are the photos of the remaining walls (opposite the long wall is open-space to the kitchen). The dog bed and basket can be moved when we have company. we didn't want a coffee table b/c the sectional is reclining and we normally play with our dog on the carpet - however, we would like to entertain and if it makes sense, we will get one. First two photos are duplicates.

• Maureen
    last year

I think something might have to be added to the blank wall space to offset the weight/art on the right over sectional.

Sandra Fabiano thanked Maureen
  • Sandra Fabiano
    Original Author
    last year

Unfortunately, we can't move the sectional further along the long wall. It is out a bit so we should be okay to put drapes. Should they be sheer or linen? We don't have much light coming into the back but there is a fair amount of light most of summer days. Thinking of putting a tall planter by the right of the tv/console for possibly the peace lilly now on the console.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

I would

1) Not paint the tv area an accent color. It is accentuating the tv and not working.

2) Add drapes. Not sheer.

3) Add a slim plant to area left of sectional (can't use anything with depth, as it will block the tv.

4) Add art

5) Not shown, but add a round coffee table. You will have to move the ottoman.

• Sandra Fabiano
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you again all! That mockup looks lovely. What do you think of this coffee table? https://www.houzz.com/products/rustic-round-old-elm-coffee-table-prvw-vr~134209830

Also, I was thinking of this to add height left of the white side tables: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UEUJ6Y/ref=twister_B081K9QCN8?_encoding=UTF8&th=1 

Maybe a mix of white and blue or a few of the blues? Could this be instead of the plants and still have a tall plant in the corner? I've read that you shouldn't have fake plants but I'm concerned about taking care of so many real ones....

@CDR Design, LLC, where did you get the images of the plants and painting? If they are available for purchase?

• Hellogardener
    last year

I see you have a dog bed there so plants may not be ideal in that spot. Maybe a much wider piece of artwork in blues centered on that wall.

Sandra Fabiano thanked Hellogardener
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Pull the sectional away from the wall and the windows a few inches so the area doesn't look so crowded. I would select art that had some contrast. Your current pillows work with your area rug.

The blue wall could be closer in color to the area rug blue.

I have lowered the height of the TV

Sandra Fabiano thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year

I would go with oversized wall art and plant for wall balance

Sandra Fabiano thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Sure. Here is the link to the art. https://www.perigold.com/decor/pdp/chelsea-art-studio-land-of-free-iv-by-leo-mark-painting-on-canvas-flap5774.html?&experiencetype=1

1) The art is 37.5 square. What is the length of that leg of the sectional?

2) The plants I skewed to fit the space. The do not exist. In reality, if someone sits on the short leg of the sectional, any plant wold have to be quite narrow in order to see the tv. It also has to be quite tall. I don't want you to buy something that doesn't work. Before I recommend something, consider the following

a) how often does anyone sit in that leg?

b) Could that leg be pulled out equal to the distance that the other leg is pulled out from the wall?

c) bottom line, if it is necessary for someone to see the tv from that leg, make sure it is in the position you want, prior to purchasing for plant area .

d) Sectionals can be fairly challenging to design around. Do you need a sectional? Could the corner be removed and it be configured into a sofa? That would solve a lot of the design issues for that wall.

Thanks!

• Sandra Fabiano
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks again to everyone. I love seeing the different options. I like the various artwork suggested. The size of the small part of the sectional is a little over 70". I think we'll go with one large piece of art maybe 60" wide? (I like perigold.com - thanks for introducing it to me @CDR Design, LLC!). They have a lot more choices for larger pieces. I also checked out Etsy. I'm sure we'll find something. We purchased the sectional late last year so we won't change it. However, I did consider making it into a couch (without the corner), but I debated how that would look. I will consider the tall/narrow fake tree(s) and still thinking about putting up two or three of these of different blues/white?: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UEUJ6Y/ref=twister_B081K9QCN8?_encoding=UTF8&th=1%C2%A0 . Can I get any opinion on that?

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year

I am not fan of it. I prefer wall art.

Sandra Fabiano thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • Sandra Fabiano
    Original Author
    last year
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Since you asked, I am not a fan of the amazon twister pieces. They don't evoke the modern elegance look you seem to have.

You said you did not take the corner out of the sectional, as you debated how it would look. It will look great and you can put a very large piece of art along that wall. Would you mind trying it?

That wall is the focal point, but it currently has to be broken up, due to the sectional.

Having the tv wall painted, your eye goes there and the focus is the tv. This is making for a very busy and disjointed space, when the space could be stunning.

• Sandra Fabiano
    Original Author
    last year

Hi @CDR Design, LLC, we'll try it but can I ask if I can add extra seating along the long wall? There's enough space (14") for a small end table in the corner. Then I'm thinking possibly a narrow plant along the long wall by the corner (or dog bed) and then two chairs with the white nesting tables in between. They'd have to be chairs that aren't too deep; maybe dining chairs?

Thanks for confirming also about the wave art pieces; also probably too shiny...

• Kelly Jones
    last year

You may find adding 1" x1" wood to the wall will fill it up without interfering into the space, then putting a large piece of art above the sofa area:

Sandra Fabiano thanked Kelly Jones
  • Kelly Jones
    last year

I'd also consider painting the niche a much darker color ( navy or teal whichever goes the best) to camouflage the TV:

• Kelly Jones
    last year

Replacing the table lamp with something taller & more decorative looks like it would be an improvement, but I'm having a hard time seeing what yours looks like other than it looks too short.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

HI. Agree.....the Amazon art is too shiny also.

From just eyeballing, you have more than 14".

Option 1)

Consider pulling the sofa all the way to the end of the window wall. You can use a C table on that end. This should give you more space to add chairs to the long wall. Sofa will not be centered on the windows, but it will be okay. Depending on what chairs you get, I'd pull the sofa even farther toward the tv.

Let me know how it ends up, as far as space left over.

Or tell me the length of the sofa and the length of the wall.

Then we can consider chairs along that long wall. I picture a lamp in the corner, not the one you have.

We love our dogs, but if you can find a place to put the dog bed that is not "center of attention" or at least buy a bed that blends with the rug, that would be better.

Option 2)

Have you considered also the tv on the long wall and the sofa facing the tv? Could go back to sectional, then. TV could be seen better from kitchen.

Can you please post a photo standing at the long wall and showing the kitchen?

Thanks!

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year

First impression: the sectional looks shoehorned in. Pull it out a bit, a foot away from the walls. Or lose a piece of it. Or both.

The feature-wall color doesn’t work for me. It highlights the tv. Just paint it the same as everything else. And hang the tv at viewing height when seated.

Love the windows.

Sandra Fabiano thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • Sandra Fabiano
    Original Author
    last year

Hi all,

Thanks again for all the great advice. Let me answer some questions (and please see the photo I attached).

The sofa is one foot from the short wall but only about 4" from the long wall. If we move it toward the kitchen/hall, the end seat (by the black table) will not be viewing the TV and will also be in the hallway.

We could remove the corner piece, in which case, we'll have about 14" of space away from the long wall. But we recently bought the sofa and wouldn't want to get rid of it (maybe it could be used in the future?). We don't have much storage space either (I may be able to leave it at my office - weird, but I'm pretty sure I can)

We did consider moving the sofa to face the TV placed along the long wall but since the sofa reclines, we'd have an issue with wires being exposed. The surround sound speakers also would be kind of in the hallway.

I have another possible option. Perhaps we can purchase another sectional piece to place along the long wall. We're not sure though if this will make it look too bulky and again, the sofa can't be placed a foot away from the wall.

Wish I had consulted with you first!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Don't worry. I see so many people buy sectionals that are wrong for the room.

The 14" sounds off. What is the length of the sofa (if made into a sofa) and what is the length of the window wall?

So, this sofa has surround sound in it? Do you use it? Is that black square the plug? Why are your plugs so high on the wall?

• Sandra Fabiano
    Original Author
    last year

Hi @CDR Design, LLC,

So the left end seat is 38" wide and the corner to the long wall is 48". If we removed the corner to make it into a sofa, we would gain 10". In addition to the 5.5" from the wall, we'd have about 15.5" of space left over.

I was incorrect, the sofa is only 10" from the window wall.

The sofa length is just over 106" (two current pieces+left end: 68+38).

The window wall length is 166" (corner-corner).

The black things behind the sofa are the surround sound speakers that we use when we can; mostly for watching movies.

Do you like the idea by Kelly Jones (adding wall texture to part of the wall)? Or should we expand the sectional along the long wall?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Thanks for all of that info!

I am not sure what the "left end seat" is. I assume that is the 2 pieces with arms.

What I was looking for is the total of the middle seat, plus 2 seats with arms, which I believe, based on what you are saying is 30 + 38 + 38 = 106.

Is that correct that in sofa configuration it is 106" ?

The window wall is 166"?

That gives you a full 60" !

Please let me know if this is correct.

Also, I would not extend the sectional along the long wall, as it sits out in front of the tv console. You don't want that. We will figure this out.

Thanks!

• elcieg
    last year

Thoughts: the rug is not right..what if you take up the rug, (temporarily) and pull the sectional away from the walls and the corner so that it is under the three front windows. Now, replace the rug with front legs on it.

Forget pillows. The sectional has them all: headrests, lumbar. Less is more.

Personal opinion, I do not like the window treatment. Reminds me off a petticoat. They probably were expensive, but raise them during the day and consider fabric that works with the rug.

Keep shades of the rug and draperies going.

https://www.kathykuohome.com/Product/Detail/111103-Arteriors-Turnley-Global-Bazaar-Paprika-Red-Lacquer-Gold-Accent-Scroll-Coffee-Table?gclid=CjwKCAiAxP2eBhBiEiwA5puhNd1_R1UUUXqjuPnHo0E-v_M3CGPNyejyRagvoSblKsQnTqmPM4DS2xoCJdQQAvD_BwE

Sandra Fabiano thanked elcieg
  • Sandra Fabiano
    Original Author
    last year

Hi all,

I've included a photo from the window by the large fiddle tree. You can see that we cannot move the sofa out from the corner as the last seat (with the remotes) will end up facing the hallway (and not the TV). We may be able to move it a few more inches, but it's not ideal for TV-viewing.

Yes, the total sofa length (two arm seats + one middle seat) = 106".

The arm seat facing the kitchen is not used much though one currently can see the TV from there. That seat is more for extra seating, as would be the case if we added another seat to the sectional - but again, it will definitely bring the sectional close to the TV (current distance from the seat closest to the TV is about 76", so adding another seat would mean 46" from the console to the end of the sectional).

We will add curtains to the shades; hope that will work.

Will eventually repaint the wall behind the TV (BTW, we were suggested to also flatten the wall so it isn't textured like the rest).

Thanks for sticking this out with me!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Sure.

I am usually very quick to understand floor plans, but I am having a hard time processing this.

The window wall is is 166". The sofa (2 ends with arms and middle seat) is 106". That leaves 30" on each side of the sofa, along the window wall.

What am I missing?

Looking at the picture below, if there were 30" on this remote side, where would the sofa end? Middle of window? Somewhere else? (don't worry about the end table for now. I have a solution for that.)

(Next we can explore facing the long wall).

• Sandra Fabiano
    Original Author
    last year

Your numbers are correct. But Unfortunately, moving it 30 inches would be past that window. Moving it even a bit will cause that seat to be pretty useless and it’s the best seat due to having an armrest and side table. It also would be a seat facing a hallway. It won’t really be part of the room.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Okay.

Why can you not turn the sofa to face the long wall? Something about wires? You have a reclining sofa with power?

Does it do anything else, other than recline?

(Reason I ask is that, for many recliners with power, you can get a battery pack). Or, the wires can be run under the sofa.

Thanks.

• Sandra Fabiano
    Original Author
    last year

That’s a good idea about wires but if moved opposite the long wall, the sectional will be too short and the corner would end up in the middle of the space. The speakers would also look odd in the hallway. I also don’t like to block the entrances to the living room.
    I think we may have to live with the current set up, add a seat along the long wall or remove the corner.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

Yes. Leaving it where it is might be the best option. If you were to have it face the long wall, I am imagining it being open on both sides (to the kitchen) (as shown) and add a couple of swivel chairs.

• Sandra Fabiano
    Original Author
    last year

Sounds good. Thanks for trying so hard to make it work! Guess we’ll get a big a piece of art to fit over the short part of the sectional and look for some tall, narrow plants (and move the dog bed!). 🙂

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    last year

No a problem!

It is always a good idea to explore other arrangements, even if they don't pan out.

I think your plan is sound, I would add drapes, change the light fixture to an arc lamp with shade and remove that black end table. You can use a "C" table or one of the white ones.

It will look great, once you make these changes.

• Sandra Fabiano
    Original Author
    8 months ago

• Sandra Fabiano
    Original Author
    8 months ago

• Sandra Fabiano
    Original Author
    8 months ago

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    8 months ago