Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_890058540

what colour paint goes well with dark wood floors and furniture

HU-890058540
last year
last modified: last year

Im looking to renovate my bedroom by painting the walls but I do not know what paint color should I use with my dark wood flooring and dark wood furniture. Also im trying to install a wood slat wall but I do not know what type of wood color tint i should use for the wall

edit: for the wood slat wall, i am trying to do an vertical wood slat accent wall and which type of wood stain should i use what wood look good with brown furniture and floors

Comments (20)

• jo mu
    last year

Can you include pictures of the space

• Kendrah
    last year

Confused - are you painting or staining the walls? Or will the wood wall be an accent wall? How large is the space?

• millworkman
    last year

White goes with all. Other than that without more info impossible to offer much more.

• Debbie Downer
    last year

Greens (any and all) go well with woods - as thats a color combo that you see in nature all the time! For a bedroom deep or mid tone colors create a cozy intimate space. You prob dont want that effect throughout your house but things like bedroom or study that can be a good way to go.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO decor in a bedroom is usually driven by the bedding and the style of the bed. We need pics . Please post in a commnet here do not start another post. Maybe explain why a wood slat wall at all too.Any answers you have for our questions also answered here in a comment. The pics need to be full color when you post before hitting the submit button

• tracefloyd
    last year

The slat wall could be white or introduce a warm wood tone or a cool gray tone depending on your decor. Here are inspo pics and they mostly used white walls with the various wood tones. Or go for a bold color as seen in the blue shiplap.

Modern Farmhouse-Upstate · More Info

Mountain Lodge Eclectic · More Info

Farmhouse Bedroom · More Info

House for a Builder · More Info

Chelsea High Line Model apartment · More Info

Alamo, CA. Farmhouse. Full Service Design Firm. Master Bedroom. · More Info

Los Altos Hills Modern · More Info

Transitional Master Bedroom · More Info

Texas Chic · More Info

Major Remodel - Coronado, CA · More Info

• Kendrah
    last year

I actually like the color you have on your walls now. I don't think a slat wall is going to add much to your room and I certainly would not add another wood stain to the mix. If you want to brighten the room paint it a neutral cream or white and possibly do the slat wall in white. But ultimately, I think this bedroom make over would benefit much more from spending your money on nice bedding, window treatments, rug, and and new lighting. Why not do all that first and if you are still itching for another project, then do the slat wall.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

No slat wall put the bed under the window so you will have space for 2 night tables and 2 nice lamps. Get new bedding and I agree wait until all of that is done then see what is needed . Get nice full drapes and you could actaull cover that whole window wall with the drapes pull the bed just far enough to all ow thr drapes to be opened but still hang behind the new night tables.

• Maureen
    last year

I’d skip wood slats as it will only darken the room, as they have to complement the floor, unless you were going to paint them. Then decide on their color and choose everything else to coordinate, including rest of walls and decor.

Suggest instead painting the wall and spend the money on decor; bedding, rug, art and new lamp and don’t tie back curtains for a more modern look.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year

Navy blue is compliment color for brown. I would go with it for walls or accent wall. I would redo your curtains, get an area rug, some foot bench/storage , replace dated light fixture with nice modern chandelier.

• PRO
    last year

If you want to go with wood panel for accent wall. then look for walnut. If your furniture lose with this color, then you look for lighter version.

• PRO
    last year

Muted green works great with wood as well.

• HU-890058540
    Original Author
    last year

thank you love the concept
    btw what did you use to do this

• HU-890058540
    Original Author
    last year

sorry for the bland explanation but i was taking about what type of wood stain should i use for my vertical WOOD accent wall that i was currently thinking about doing

• Dino S
    last year

What is the dimensions of your room..? From the pic , looks about 10’ to 11’ ish by 12’ish..? Also, the left wall looks to have a closet or bathroom door. IMO, I would not put a slat wood wall. But if that’s the look you want stain it natural or simply sand and clear coat a nice pine. Light colors on the walls will make the room feel bigger, and brighter. You can also go with a Wainscoting all around and not do the wood slat wall. At the end of the day what is the look you are trying to achieve..

• Dino S
    last year

All the idea pictures are beautiful but keep in mind those are big master suite rooms with high ceilings. IMO, I don’t think those concepts work well with 8-‘9’ ceilings and rooms smaller than 12’x12’

• kculbers
    last year

I have darker woods throughout my home: oak staircase, cherry bedroom set, cherry and oak items in my living room, oak mirror in my bathroom / laundryroom. I painted the entire inside of my home with off white Behr Ultra Scuff Defense Paint and Primer. The off white showcases the wood pieces beautifully.

• Dino S
    last year

So i take it you agree when i said that lighter colors are best

• PRO
    last year

Check wood panels at Home Depot, what they have.

If you like light colors, warm white or off-white would work.

• kandrewspa
    last year

Some people like dark colors in bedrooms because they think it makes the room cozy. Others find dark colors to be oppressive or depressing. Neither person is right or wrong. The reason there are hundreds of different paint colors is because not everyone likes the same thing. The color the room is currently is similar to the color my bedroom is now, so I don't see anything wrong with it. But if you are tired of it and want to change it then by all means, change it. Paint is cheap when you DIY. However, I agree with the other commenters who said that instead of installing a feature wall you should invest in new bedding, lighting, a rug and possibly furniture. Your room is small relative to the rooms pictured in the inspiration pictures by the commenters, but if you have quality furnishings it could be quite lovely. Keep comfort and function in mind when deciding how to proceed.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022