Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_642481500

Need help with living room/dining room funiture design

Lea T
last year

We could use some advice on how to finish our main living room/dining room. It is a bigger room, and we would like to match the style of the room. Raised white paneled ceiling, black iron chandelier, rock wall feature, some oak wood panels on the walls. Windows face east and it is a fairly dark room. We are keeping the dining table, the cabinet, and the lamps. The desk, piano, blue chair and couches can go. We were thinking of putting an L-shaped sofa where the current sofa is and then maybe a wall cabinet or buffet? Perhaps some oriental rugs? Not sure if MOC works, looking more for an eclectic, lodge like style but still refined and not too rustic. Hoping to match the style of the room. We really need help finding chairs for the dining table- it is white oak stained dark brown with black metal legs. Please your ideas?

Comments (9)

• howistyle
    last year

What a great space! To get the best advice, please add a floor plan of the room showing dimensions of all windows, walls, door openings etc. Nothing fancy just draw it all out to scale on plain paper or graph paper if you have it. Then if you can take pictures of all 4 walls dead on and tell us what rooms are adjacent to this one. By what you have posted I would want the dining room table to be closest to the stone wall and the LR to be close to the windows, but hard to say not understanding the whole layout of the home. Also, how many people will be using the space & do you need TV in there? Not sure what you mean by MOC style? But eclectic for sure!!

Lea T thanked howistyle
  • Lea T
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Ok, here are some pictures of the walls and also my best effort at making a floor plan. My one reservation about putting the dining table next to the rock wall is that the main entrance to the house is right there, across the hall. The room measures approximately 21.5 feet by 14.5 feet. We do not really want a tv in there, and silly me, I meant MCM (mid century modern) not MOC, must have been tired typing lol. Thanks for your help with this.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year
    last modified: last year

That other room is your dining room. I recommend you take that large table and place it into that room and keep the other space as your living room/ family room area.

The traffic path through this room creates unique problems. Here is my recommended layout. The chandelier is centered in the room as it should be.

Lea T thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    lisedv
    last year

My suggestion, while keeping most of your furniture, is to move the dining table at the other end of the room with a dining bench against the wall and your chandelier on a swag. This leaves more space for the seating area as well as allowing for a path throughout the room.

I presume you'll be moving the desk and office items to the room on the right which you idetified as an office.

Lea T thanked lisedv
  • howistyle
    last year

I like lisedv suggested layout above if you are looking to keep your office/library in what would have been the dining room as Beverly pointed out. The main floor looks quite chopped up with the different floor levels and the kitchen in it’s own space with the glass door, so you are best served using this front room as your main “public space” with both your dining and living in it as you are planning. (Unless there is another room on the other side of the kitchen??) I might suggest moving the piano up to the office/library area and adding a bar area on this level for when/if you entertain. I think the main chandelier can stay in the middle and maybe get an arch lamp to tuck into the corner if you choose to put your dining table as suggested. I think that would look very cool MCM! It’s a very unique home (I mean that as a compliment!) with a cool 70’s vibe with a little updating (unify the paint colours, maybe change out the kitchen door to be more retro or see what it’s like without a door) and a ton of plants it will be very cozy and inviting space!

Lea T thanked howistyle
  • Kendrah
    last year

Living room dining room combos make me really happy. How many in your household?Do you eat at this table nightly or most commonly eat in the kitchen? Do you sit at this table and do other things like projects, kids with homework, gather with friends?

Do you have another living area in this house that you chill out in or is the seating in this room going to be the makn ha g out space in your home? Who will sit here and when, what time of day, to read, be with guests, hang out?

I’d love to see the table turned 90 degrees so it is parallel to the window and living in that area next to and along side the window. It just makes sense to me for the layout and lines of this room. It may or may not make sense though for who uses this space and when. Main question, do you want the daylight and view from the window to be enjoyed as a table space or sofa space?

The buffet /cabinet is a great piece but looks super bad next to the wood where it is currently located. I’d put it on the long white wall near where your desk is currently located and use it as a visual bridge between you window/dining area and a sitting area where your sofa is currently located.

Light fixture is fine where it is do not use it to determine furniture zones.

Stone area is a lot of look. Don’t put furniture or other things over there. Just give it space to be what it is.

Nice that you dont need desk, piano, or TV in here.

Lea T thanked Kendrah
  • Lea T
    Original Author
    last year

Just to clarify, we want a combined living/dining space, and my husband is using the smaller dinign room as a computer room/office. We have another kitchen nook eating space where we eat most of our meals- this would be special occasion dinners with family etc. Thank you os much for all these great ideas!

• Krista Deng
    last year

Based on your description, it sounds like you are going for a modern yet rustic lodge-style for your living room/dining room. Here are a few ideas that could help you achieve that look:

1. L-shaped sofa: An L-shaped sofa would be a great addition to the room and could fit well in the space where the current sofa is. Look for a sofa with a neutral color that would complement the existing colors in the room. A beige or cream color could work well.
    2. Wall cabinet or buffet: A wall cabinet or buffet could provide extra storage space for the room and also add to the lodge-like feel. Look for one made from wood or a distressed metal to match the overall style of the room.
    3. Oriental rugs: Adding an oriental rug to the room could help tie everything together and add warmth to the space. Look for a rug with muted colors and geometric patterns to match the style of the room.
    4. Dining chairs: For the dining chairs, look for ones made from wood or metal to match the existing table. A black metal frame with a wooden seat and backrest could work well in the space.
    5. Additional decor: To finish off the room, consider adding some lodge-themed decor such as throw pillows with animal prints, antler candle holders, or a mounted animal head.

Overall, when choosing items for the room, try to stick to a neutral color palette with pops of color and texture to add interest. Good luck with your decorating!

Lea T thanked Krista Deng