Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
transients

Wood stove dominates our living room.

Mary Sykes
last year

How can I make this space useful in the summer?

The TV altar is to the far left from all this stuff. In back of the photographer is the dining room. From the rocking chairs to the TV is about 1.5 times the space around the wood stove.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I guess the obviuos question is do you need the woodstove ? Where I live that would not pass code for the install. I need abit more info and a to scale floor plan would be helpful. Post it here in a a comment.

• Barbara Almandarz
    last year

You've got a lot of chairs there. Do you use them all? Maybe the rockers are moved to either side of the fireplace for the summer.

Mary Sykes thanked Barbara Almandarz
  • Amanda Smith
    last year

What is the black thing hanging behind the stove?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Fire protection.

• enajasereht
    last year

If that's a double walled pipe and a heat shield on the back of the stove, I don't think it has to be that far away from the wall.  Nor should you need that fire board on the wall.  We use ours on a daily basis in the winter.  Still burning today.

• Mary Sykes
    Original Author
    last year

AFRAID the pipe is just a stove pipe, not double wall. no chance of moving that stove now. just looking for ideas on how to minimize its impact in our living room/

• Mary Sykes
    Original Author
    last year

do i only get one swipe at answering all your comments? if so, here are answers to other questions.

1. need that many chairs? yes, for football games, ball games and holidays we have from 12 to 15 people for dinner and the game. just local families and grandchildren. pub table is better place for husband to eat lunch while watching news, etc. better than eating off a tv tray sitting on the couch. there is no chance of getting a new/different stove. For the summer I guess I'll just put plants on it. But thanks for all your responses!

• Barbara Almandarz
    last year

Since your chairs are for weekly gatherings and not on a daily basis, wwould you be open to moving them for company?

• PRO
    Carol Jean
    last year

I would build a fireplace surround and insert fireplace in wall probably a cost but it sure would be worth it

• Olychick
    last year

Stove pipes are easy to remove and install. I might remove it for the summer (be sure to plug the hole in the ceiling to prevent birds and bugs from entering). You could then use the top of the stove for serving or as a table beween two chairs. You could cover it with a tablecloth. Just lessening the amount of black will lighten things a great deal.

• Mary Sykes
    Original Author
    last year

I like the “lighten it up” strategy…will work on that

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I need to see the whole space and understand why you cannot have sofas instead of a ton of rocking chirs and it will also show us the whole space and understand better the issues.