Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_hughes83

Is Island too small?

Mary Hughes
12 months ago

Is my island size too small? Should I extend the countertop?

Comments (17)

• Mary Hughes
    Original Author
    12 months ago
    last modified: 12 months ago

Thank you! I thought 57 inches from the end of the island was too much space. What do you think if I put an overhang at the end of the current island for a stool?

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    12 months ago

A 36" clearance (measured from countertop to countertop or appliance projection to countertop) is less than recommended by NKBA. I try not to design with less than 42" and preferable is 48".

Mary Hughes thanked Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
  • PRO
    12 months ago

A 36" clearance is minimum for a walkway space like what you have to the right of the island.

• Mary Hughes
    Original Author
    12 months ago

The clearance on the left is 57 inches. Is that too much clearance? that is where I am thinking of extending the countertop.

• PRO
    12 months ago

It's not too much. It's probably comfortable for people who are walking to the refrigerator. The island looks like a good proportion relative to the rest of the space.

• chispa
    12 months ago

You could extend it a couple of inches and make that drawer base a bit larger.

Mary Hughes thanked chispa
  • Lexi Klein
    12 months ago

It's good.

• Buehl
    12 months ago

If there's supposed to be seating along the back of the island, then it is too shallow. The minimum recommended overhang for counter-height seating is 15". So, doing the math...

1.5" counter overhang in the front

+ 24"D cabinets

+ 1" decorative door or end panels on back of cabinets

+ 15" seating overhang

====================

41.5" deep island

Mary Hughes thanked Buehl
  • Buehl
    12 months ago

Regarding other aisles:

• If there is only ever one person in the Kitchen at a time, then 42" is the minimum recommended width for the aisle
    • If there will be more than one person in an aisle (prepping, cooking, cleaning up, etc.), then 48" is the minimum recommended aisle width
    • Note that aisles are measured to/from the items sticking out the farthest into the aisles -- appliance handles, counter overhangs, etc. They are NOT measured to/from cabinets as cabinet measurements only include the cabinet box and not the doors/drawer fronts or the counter overhangs.

For an aisle that has no appliance or workspace and is just a walkway, 36" is the minimum.

• just_janni
    12 months ago

I would not extend this island. Even though it feels like the right side is open enough - it's also a WALL. It's one thing to have roughly 44" in clearance when the other side is a cabinet wall (i.e. the actual WALL is another 25" back) it's another when it's a full, top to bottom wall. Visually, you need more room when it's a wall.

Mary Hughes thanked just_janni
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    12 months ago

IMO 48" in most spots for walkway and 60" in front of the frdige and for stools . IMO 6' is too much walkway . Think about that one extra step you will take all the time .IMO the kitchen is oversized and for no real reason.

Mary Hughes thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • felizlady
    12 months ago

If you normally have yourself and another person in the kitchen, make sure you both can pass by each other while holding a tray or big pot. You will want more space in front of the fridge when you open the door….and an available counter for putting things on.

Mary Hughes thanked felizlady
  • Mary Hughes
    Original Author
    12 months ago

I appreciate everyone’s thoughts and suggestions. it is giving me a lot to consider. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

• sena01
    12 months ago

If I'm reading the dimensions right you'll have 41" b/w the island and the sink wall. It may be tight when DW door is open. Adding more inches to that aisle instead of extending the island may be a better idea.

Mary Hughes thanked sena01
  • Buehl
    12 months ago

With good clearances...two options (can also be mixed together)

With sink in island so it's useful as a Prep Zone (a KEY component in a useful Prep Zone is direct water access) & Snack Center, but no pullout pantry.

No sink in island (therefore, not an optimal/useful Prep Zone) & no Snack Center, but with pantry pullout:

In this layout, the best Prep Zone is along the perimeter b/w the only sink and range - not the island. [With no water in the island and you try to prep in the island: you would have to take the food out of the refrigerator and carry it over to the sink; then, pick it up and carry it (again) to the island; and, finally, pick it up (yet again) and carry it to the range.]

Mary Hughes thanked Buehl
  • Mary Hughes
    Original Author
    12 months ago

Wow, You have some very good points! Thank you!

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks