Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
switbaby909

Need help with this open floor plan.... Color, decors & furnitures

switbaby909
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I am having a hard time furnishing our formal living room and dining area. We like the royal blue sofa but with the striped chairs I am having trouble deciding with the colors and decors. Overall I like it to look contemporary and homey.

Since we want the bright natural light, should I still put drapes? What color or pattern? Should the drapes be different in both rooms?

Should I still paint my walls, door and ceilings? It looks plain in all white but it might look dark with color.

Should I have the royal blue the accent color in the decors.

Please help....

Comments (27)

• PRO
    essentials inside
    10 years ago
    Hi switbaby909! Welcome to Houzz!

Your home is beautiful. You've done a fantastic job with it. I'm sure other Houzzers are going to love this dilemma.

My first suggestion would be to move the couch in toward the coffee table, away from the windows.

I agree that you need some color on the walls but first I'd like to know if the coffee table and rug must stay or are you open to replacing? The same question for the mirror above the fireplace.

I'm sure other Houzzers will be here soon!

~Lyvonne
    switbaby909 thanked essentials inside
  • PRO
    Butler King Design
    10 years ago
    Hi. Few comments:
    1. I would put the sofa where the chairs are to make the DR feel more like a separated space. Put the chairs by the window
    2. Look at BM revere pewter. Beautiful grey beige color and I think it will look great in this room and pull all colors together
    3. I'm thinking you should pull the beige from the chairs and use that color for drapes. Use a long rod and Hang the pleated panels on either side of the windows. And yes for a cohesive look use same.
    My thoughts! Good luck!
    switbaby909 thanked Butler King Design
  • rsm49
    10 years ago
    I really like your couch and chairs. How about painting the walls a light gray to bring out the gray in the fireplace? And I think the frame of the mirror would look better white. Simple panels that still allow light in would dress up the windows.
    switbaby909 thanked rsm49
  • cheezewhiz
    10 years ago
    I like the idea of grey paint. I think you could go quite dark in a large room. The white trim would pop. I would flip flop the couch and the chairs. Definitely put up curtains - possibly using a similar blue as the couch or have a touch of the same blue in it. The front curtains should go above the top windows. I love the blue couch!

I also love the circle in the door and I would try to play up the circle shape elsewhere in the room.

I would think about a possible wallpaper for the back wall of the dining room - in a similar shade as the paint color but with a subtle design...accent wall if you will. I would also think about a hanging light fixture over the table. It would give the dining room more presence.

I love that color blue and I would play that up! I love this home office....

Glamorous home office · More Info
    switbaby909 thanked cheezewhiz
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Pull the sofa forward so its front feet sit on the rug. Now, about that rug...a bit busy with the chairs, IMO. The pattern and the stripes are too close to the same scale.

I love the blue of the sofa too, but I don't think your furniture choices go together very well. That is, you could do the sofa and chairs, or the sofa and table, but I think you have to make a choice. If you opt to keep the table, then I think the chairs need to be something bold and modern or at least have a touch of the green. If you keep the chairs, then I would go with a neutral coffee table. Easiest thing here would be to paint the table in a color taken from the chairs.

I love all your windows and don't think you really need drapes. The room looks more modern without them. Drapes would give you a softer, cozier look.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I have to agree with the suggestion to move the two chairs to the window area.......have a lamp and a table between them. Try that small table and lamp already by the window. Move the couch across from the chairs and bring that piece of furniture to the right of the fireplace over to be the end table for the couch. It needs something to ground it there.

IF you choose to use the garden stool with the chairs, they should be angled a bit toward each other at the window area.....or even where they are now. Give that stool a little more room and angle the chairs.

IF you want to keep the couch where it is, it needs to be centered with the windows and not off to one side. That throws the whole balance in the room off.

See how the room feels without the coffee table........how did you feel about the suggestion to paint it? I think this room can be perfect with just a few tweaks and very little money spent, as I also agree that curtains are not on my list of things that this room needs.
  • Chem K
    10 years ago
    If you opt for drapes, hang them wider than window width so that they can be drawn back without interupting the natural light.
    Here are sample fabrics to complement your furniture. A light gray or taupe wall will tie up the colour scheme beautifully.
    Vintage Blossom : Twilight · More Info

Flora-Da in Lagoon · More Info

Suzani Q : Insignia · More Info

Even Tempered : Cerulean · More Info
    switbaby909 thanked Chem K
  • Chem K
    10 years ago
    Himalayan Trek 1542 Paint · More Info

Edgecomb Gray HC-173 · More Info

Martha Stewart Living Bedford Gray Interior Paint · More Info

Revere Pewter HC-172 Paint · More Info
  • Chem K
    10 years ago
    Have you tried arranging the sofa to face the FP and armchairs positioned angled in on either side of the FP? Love the coffee table. A lovely punch of colour! Apple green? Do repeat the colour in other accessories!
  • formerteach
    10 years ago
    I rather like the arrangement of your furniture. The dark blue seems to balance the dark wood of your dining table on the other side of the room. I agree that the rug may be adding a similar pattern intensity to the chairs. Perhaps something less angular in pattern wouldn't compete as much. As far as your windows go I have finally framed my windows with drapes after years of leaving them unadorned and I have to say the difference is unbelievable. The right drape or window treatment can add a richness and finish to a room no matter the color or pattern. There are amazing ways to dress a window. You might even continue the dressing to the top of your upper panes.

Gray on your walls may actually help bridge the striped chairs and blue sofa (both of which I like). The green table seems to be a color you love and want to include but on the table it seems to compete with the other furniture. Could you possibly bring that color in on your accessories instead? It probably isn't big enough to center between chairs and sofa so moving it closer to the couch makes more sense.

Your room is crisp and inviting. I am sure you will enjoy it for years to come, so depend on your own instincts after you have taken in our "advice."
    switbaby909 thanked formerteach
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I am not sure you really even NEED a rug in this room.....sometimes a rug on a rug looks like a rug on a rug.
    switbaby909 thanked abbyjean
  • switbaby909
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    hi lyvonne, the coffee table and rug can be replaced. i actually bought the table at a flea market and thought i would just paint it with whatever color it matches but i don't have an idea which color it should. on the other hand, i am also thinking of buying a little larger coffee table instead. to all houzzers, can you please let me know if this would go as a coffee table.
  • switbaby909
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    here it is.
  • switbaby909
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    i want to try all your suggestions regarding the arrangement and will post which one we like best. if i paint the walls to light grey, should i paint the mirror to white or espresso?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I think white on the mirror would blend too much with the mantle......espresso sounds nice with the other wood in the room.
    switbaby909 thanked abbyjean
  • switbaby909
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    we also prefer to have a rug in the living room, what would you suggest? i should probably buy a bigger size.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    I think the green coffee table is a bit small. Which one did you buy with the idea of painting, the metal/wood one or the green one? I think the metal/wood one looks nice but a bit rustic for your room as is. It would be great with the top painted.
    switbaby909 thanked Ann
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    You might outline your baseboards and front door, rather than paint the walls, (as they look unworn). The pertinent detail in this photo is the hallway door and trim:
    [houzz=
    Apartment In Traditional Building · More Info
    ]
    switbaby909 thanked studio10001
  • syncope
    10 years ago
    Floating your sofa to face your fireplace is an excellent idea along with placing the chairs on either side of the fireplace. I think you will find you have a much cozier area that is conducive to conversation with that arrangement. It will also open your traffic flow to make easer access to your dining area while still maintaining a clearly defined living room. Using your garden stool as a side table for one chair and your lamp table for the other will give you balance without being too matchy matchy. That leaves the windows. I would use shears to keep the light filling the room and then find a really interesting chest or table that is perhaps buffet size to hold down that side of the room. Go easy on the royal blue and use it sparingly as an accent to bring the color through the room but I wouldn't suggest painting any part of the room that color. If you want to go to a color other than white, consider a pale buttercream that would suggest sunlight but would not fight for attention. If you do get another rug, try a round one. It may surprise you how different the room will feel and will give you great parameters for your conversation area. Finally, a few more pops of the green from your coffee table in patterned cushions with perhaps the royal blue, green and white along with some playful accessories should finish off the icing on the cake.
    switbaby909 thanked syncope
  • PRO
    Maryellen Perone/Smith & Noble
    4 years ago

The couch and the chairs are fine. Remove the green small coffee table and replace it with something larger, possibly round, maybe metallic in color like the smaller round table between the two chairs. I would add drapery panels to either side of the dining room windows possibly in a blue color to coordinate with the blue sofa to balance out the strong color on that side of the room. The mirror over the fireplace is the wrong color and shape and I would also remove the smaller table that is on the side of the fireplace.

• drdeb1234
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Another 5 year old post !!
    Maryellen Perone, check the dates before commenting and inadvertently reviving these!!!

• User
    4 years ago

This post is from September 2013!

• PRO
    4 years ago

This post was showing up on my feed, they should delete old ones, no need to yell and put comments with exclamation marks... and chastise me in a public forum...not nice...so sorry that everyone was so000 inconvenienced...maybe just ignore next time so it doesn’t get bumped up again...

• PRO
    4 years ago

PEACE OUT

• babophz
    4 years ago

Well, Maryellen, you could have bothered to check the last posted previous comment. Just saying...

• PRO
    4 years ago
    Well. If you had looked closer at the comments. It was stated that this was an old post after I had posted MY comments. Being rude is never, never acceptable. And really, like I said before, was everyone SO inconvenienced with this....for me, I have more important things to worry about. Peace and love to everyone.
Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022