Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neeru_rahan71

new cabinets VS paint existing cabinets

Neeru Rahan
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

I would like to update my kitchen and would like if I should replace the maple custom cabinets or paint them. I will be putting new quartzite counter and new appliances to update the kitchen. New sink back splash etc pl love to get your feed back
Thanks

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 months ago

I guess it depends on many things but to me the cabinets are dated and I like all drawers for base cabinets and full overlay doors I think your style will make the decision if the kitchen functions for you and you love the style of the doors maybe paint is the answer . For me the kitchen would not function with a cooking appliance in an island and a trip around the island from fridge to sink. Painting will cost a ton og $$$$ so my advice is really think long and hard about how much you love what you have . To me a huge redo of both cabinets and function .

• herbflavor
    10 months ago

you need a few serious tweaks to the layout. I would save ..wait a bit more so you can plot out some options and plan to get a full replacement. In the mean time get some smart dark pewter or black knobs, and some good looking runners or mats on the floor, and truthfully...enjoy the light maple cabinetry for a while longer.

• Kendrah
    10 months ago

Painting cabinets well is incredibly expensive. Get a few quotes. I bet it will help you make up your mind.

Are you deadset against leaving as is? They look to be i good shape but hard to know from photos. If you get new ones I’d get them to the ceiling and chamge appliance layout to remove stove from island.

• Neeru Rahan
    Original Author
    10 months ago

You are right if I replace the cabinets I will move the stove but if I paint I will change the appliances. Pl suggest what style of cabinets I should go with. I do not like dark cabinets. It will be a big help. I get a lot of light so have to think about fading etc and

• Neeru Rahan
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I have a 10 foot ceiling

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 months ago

Your style is what you have now the paint will not change that but a color will need to be decided with a lot more info as to what the spaces around this are like for starters. I really suggest waiting until a redo can be done .

• Monique Barrow
    10 months ago

What is it you don't like about your kitchen? The cabinets ( are they falling apart), the style of them? Or their colour?

Don't you like the appliances ? Or do you just want to change your counters?

There are so many items to overthink and it sounds to me as you are not sure what style and colour you would paint the cabinets.

Like some others already said , wait a little longer until you really know what you want and then do a redo.

• Susie .
    10 months ago

If it were my kitchen I would go for new cabinets and a new layout. I suggest you do an inventory of what you like, what you don't like about it. Then ask yourself if painting will solve the issues you don't like. Kendrah is right - to do it correctly, it is expensive and time consuming. It will give you a different color, but it won't change the style or layout.

• jackowskib
    10 months ago

Look at kitchen photos on this site and save the ones that inspire the look you would like to achieve. From there you can get all kinds of guidance and help here. Consider the look you have going on in the adjacent spaces so there’s some connectivity considered.

• kempek01
    10 months ago

You should paint the cabinets only if you are 100% satisfied with the current layout.

If you are not 100% satisfied with the current layout, you should make the layout changes and replace the cabinets.

Others have already given you their suggestions on changing the layout.

• eld6161
    10 months ago

Inspiration if keeping the cabinets.

I live green granite with light wood

• Neeru Rahan
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks a ton for all the comments. It was very helpful 🙏

• DeWayne
    10 months ago

Painting those will easily be 12-15K. Save that money and put it into the much bigger reno needed.

• flopsycat1
    10 months ago

Two simple things: update the light fixtures and take the ”stuff” down from the top of the cabinets.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022