Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karsyg1967

Help with kitchen design

Karen
10 years ago
I would love to get feedback on my kitchen design. Specifically placement of cooktop, size and shape of island and space between bay window (this will be a window seat with a table) and island. Thanks for any ideas!

Comments (62)

• PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    Karsyg1967--My 'rough' idea builds off the sound ideas of earlier comments. I thank them, and they'll/you'll know who they are when they/you review this. A number of things still bother me about this, but I feel that it is a step in the right direction--still needs refinement. First of all, I hope that the space btw. the island and bay is intended as informal dining, because you cannot get a table for 6 to work comfortably, and a round table for 4 is marginal at best, whether you have 8'-10" as previous, or the 8'-4" I call out on this sketch. This is, I think a good means to address the "working triangle", dry goods storage, broom closet, visual alignment, and aisle space, which previously, having anything deeper than a 26" frig would not have worked. This is rough, and lacks the specifics of bread boards, knife drawers, appliance garages, but does address garbage/recycling. It would be even better if the opening sides of both were turned 90 degrees toward the sink. Your kitchen, because of the wall config, is bound to have a lot of cabts. in any scenario. Layout it important. What is used most needs to be most convenient. This is an attempt to provide that, and I even made room for a cooks desk with a window view! Happy Houzzing.
    Karen thanked DMH DESIGN
  • Karen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks DMH Design for the detailed plan...i really like some of the elements of it. The desk is a nice touch and something I had thought of. I am still kind of concerned with the way the island is facing due to the distance from sink as Carolins has pointed out!
    Do you think a French door refrigerator would work in that position as it is right next to the wall?
    I am strongly considering turning the island 90 degrees and having the sink cook top be opposite the sink...maybe slightly off-set. I just met with the guy who will probably do my cabinets and he thinks it will work. I really want a window seat in the Bay window and could actually put a very small table for day to day dining as there are only 3 of us in the house. I could then maybe make the island deeper and add seating at the end.
    I am not convinced that I want to close the bottom wall as that leads to the formal dining area.
    Thanks again for suggestions!!
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    Karsyg1967--If I (as well as the others) didn't want you to have a satisfactory result in the design of your kitchen, we wouldn't take the time to comment on your issues. In all honesty, letting a cabinet maker assist you in making the types of design decisions you are faced with, is akin to me making cabinet fabrication decisions--everyone has their skill sets, and it is important that we know our boundaries. As the owner, it is right to expect that your needs are addressed in the design process. Like anyone going through a home redesign, all I ask is that you separate the emotional component of your decision making process from the logical. This project will need to meet both, so that over the long term this project meets both your needs and wants. That being said, the size and the orientation of the space elicit a trend in what my design experience, along with the others too, tells us this space needs to be. Turning the island 90 degrees will likely not provide the solution you are looking for. My experience and (unseen--to you) sketches tell me that you will create 3 awkward spaces--the kitchen, the existing family room and the nook, where only one, and marginally, based upon the basis of my concept--the nook, now exists. Contact me directly if you would like to explore other options for maximizing your utility and enjoyment of this space. Happy Houzzing.
    Karen thanked DMH DESIGN
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    DMH does great work. Nice solution.
    Karen thanked sstarr93
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    That is high praise coming from a fellow Houzzer like sstarr93. The main thing is that your design needs, which appear to be unfulfilled presently, are fully addressed in the design process.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I'm not a designer and I like how detailed DMH Design's sketch is, but I like to cook and won't mention the awkward thing that I see here again ;-) It would bother me if I had to use this kitchen daily. To get a good idea, I just physically did the journey with the imaginary heavy pan around my dining table to the imaginary sink. Perhaps it is something you'd like to do to get an idea of how much it will bother you.

And I often see desks in kitchens here on Houzz. Must be an American thing. I can't see why someone wants a desk in the kitchen. Honestly... why? Does it mean that you're not allowed to leave the kitchen to do your paperwork? Or are you supposed to do whatever you do at your desk while you are cooking?
    Never mind that when someone else is sitting at your desk and you have to walk behind them with your pan full of boiling water. I'm just saying....
    There must be a better design solution. I'm thinking purely from a practical point of view. Also, since your dining room is on the other side of the wall, perhaps it is not a good idea to close that wall.
    You have such a lovely space, it just needs a beautiful AND practical kitchen.
    Karen thanked Carolina
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Close down the door and rotate the island or move the sink, so you'll only have to turn around to pour off pan with hot water into the sink.

Or just do as OnePlan suggested (dining in bay window). Looks great.

Your formal diners might need some extra steps to serve (or switch family and dining), but I guess that shouldn't be a problem.
    Karen thanked rinked
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    Hi- I'm just going through things as if I was the OP -obviously I'm not - so this is all subjective - but I'm doing it with the best intentions - in order to help - I hope it does !!! The bits in brackets are me !

... I love the view from the desk - but wonder if it would have more use as a normal height worktop with storage below as there's not that many cupboards/ drawers in this kitchen ?!
    I also think - (if the Fridges shown on the original plan aren't 'existing' -) the space for a combined worktop depth fridge freezer in the top right corner as DMH put it is great ( easy access by others without interrupting the chef) but is it going to be large enough? (if you are used to two separate ones ?!)
    I would also have to agree with Carolins that a small prep sink in the island would be safer, if it's possible - failing that - could a small prep sink go in the run behind the cooker - where the fridges were originally? And good to fill pots too ! ( plumbing would be easier )
    And a down draft extractor behind the cooker would be better for uninterrupted views - which would work better if the bar at the back of the island was actually storage (more storage! yay!) and a faux cupboard for the mechanics of the downdraft ...
    And then there's the 'opening' question - do i still want an opening into the dining room, is there anything on the dining room side that would restrict exactly where it goes so I can have it put in the right place to suit the kitchen design - or do I decided to go with the advice here and close it off ?!?

...Me again ! Its great to have all these wonderful people giving advice and even generously sketching such detailed plans, as it gives you so many wonderful options to think about - and best of all to speak about, either with your architect or a kitchen designer. I'm sure with their help and all these fab suggestions - you will be able to achieve a detailed design that will work for you in this lovely sized room !
    Karen thanked OnePlan
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    When closing off the doorway, you could use this space for the fridge (I used all the space towards the exterior wall and sacrifieced some of the adjecent room). This way you'll have an island with breakfast corner, plenty of prep area, the sink opposite the stove and a full height wall with fridge(-s?). You could even add stools on the left.
    Karen thanked rinked
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Similar setup:
    Kitchen Remodels · More Info

Rock Ridge · More Info
    Karen thanked rinked
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Yep, and this is another photo from the Rock Ridge kitchen and if I'm correct it is the part on the right side of the picture above, not visible there:
    Rock Ridge · More Info

See? Small extra sink.
    Karen thanked Carolina
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I like Rinqreation's design.
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    Rinqreation you have presented an interesting idea. How do you intend to address the following: How high is the window sill at the bay window? Will the height of the island be 29" for the 16"-18" H window bench end or is the bench going to be elevated to sit at the +36" island counter height, or will it have a height transition from +29 to +36"? It appears that you are moving most of the formal dining wall into the dining space? will this affect the ability to furnish that room? If turning the island 90 degrees requires moving a wall, wouldn't this represent an additional, significant expense for the homeowner to consider during this process? Obviously, without a full floor plan, many of these questions remain unanswered. For the benefit of the owner, no matter which direction the design goes, I feel that it is important that the cause and effect of all scenarios is fully understood before committing to a final design. HH!
  • Karen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Rinqreation, interesting ideas! We're you thinking the island would serve as a table as well? I too wonder about heights. I was thinking possibly a set up like this with a t-shaped island.

http://houzz.com/photos/164692

I was
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    I've drawn T-shaped islands, but if you have the space, a separate table is always nicer.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    DMH.. I know.. These are ideas, not fully functional plans. Functional plans are made after enough ideas are gathered, no? I'm a practical functional type of gal, so I've asked myself all these questions too. But since I'm not on a payroll here and the poster is not asking for professional help, it's ok to have dreams. Dreams that afterwards can be adjusted and turned into realistic plans.

For example, if a bench would not fit, buy stools. The island setup requires it's own height chairs/stools. Not bar height, but no regular height either. Or forget the seats and just have an island. It'll be fine in the end, and if it's not ok, it's not the end.

Note: stealing 15 inch from a room where a walkway used to be, was a risk I dare take.
  • PRO
    Drafting & Soil Monitoring Services LLC
    10 years ago
    I would like to offer a new house plan idea to you. This 2,538 square foot home plan features a large foyer adjacent to a closet, a powder room and a formal dining room with a coffer ceiling. The distinguished Great room has a coffer ceiling and fireplace. The Master bedroom has large walk-in closet and an adjoining full bathroom. The house plan has a large kitchen and breakfast area. I can easily add an island to the kitchen if you would like this option. There are 2 additional bedrooms on the second level with a bathroom. Easily accessible second level bonus room is also included. House plan can be downloaded for under $380.
    http://www.houseplansbydsms.com/shop/2-story-house-plans/house-plan-120h/
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    Rinqreation, I respect your feelings. I know these clients respects your time and ideas, as well. When remodeling, I believe that it is important to work within the confines of existing space, whenever possible. Houzz is definitely a format where those of us who are offering schemes and opinions perhaps feel less restraint in rendering our opinions, than we would if we were actually sitting across from a paying client. To this end, I am trying to be better myself about taking a page out of the Kevin P. O'Brien playbook, which is to realize that my efforts here aren't about me, it needs to be about protecting the client's wallet.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    You could even leave the piece of wall in there and make a china cabinet on the dining side.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    DMH, I treat people on the internet like I would in real life.

I live too far away to come do it myself, but otherwise I just might. And I would not even ask for a review afterwards..

Loads of people post a floorplan here to get second opinions, pretty examples, practical ideas, etc.. The person that posted will do as he or she pleases (or can afford) in the end.

Please don't be fussy.
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    R-Perhaps it is our POV on how we interpret these comments. Again, this is about the design dilemna that someone posted, not your opinion of me, or your perception of what mine is of you. Please message me directly if you take issue with what I post. My motivations for what I post are directly related to protecting the health, safety and welfare of the public. I treat this as business, whether I am paid to or not.

Although you seem to be combining threads from a different post, I will offer this: Like you, I view this site through an altruistic lens. I feel it is also nice to be recognized when I, or in the context of an earlier discussion, we (you and I), were able to provide some very specific takeaway for a bath and closet project. Isn't the implicit idea here that "everybody" should benefit from asking and returning favors, all things being equal? Do good, get good? If the concensus of a particular thread is that you or I help someone out, is it wrong to ask them for something they can give to us in return? It costs both of us nothing, but look what we both gain from it? Recognition and fulfillment of need.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    I think Rinqreation is from Holland? She has a different perspective on certain things..
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Just some thoughts rolling around in my head about what to do with your hutch. Are we going for casual fun yet?
    Huestis Tucker Architects, LLC · More Info

Tillinghast · More Info

Vanderbilt · More Info

fun on location · More Info

Aqua Monte Carlo Credenza · More Info

Marrakech Credenza, Gloss Pink · More Info
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Sorry, not sure how my hutch/china/credenza pix got on your dilemma. Computer glitch, I guess. Hope I can round them up again for the intended Houzzer.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    sstar93, I'm also from Holland and would be very interested to know what that different take would be?
    I can only see people trying to help someone who isn't sure about the layout of her new kitchen, by giving her ideas that she may not have thought of herself.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Thinking different is one of my qualities.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Some people are good at functioning within boundaries, following guidelines and working within the confines of existing space. I'm the type to stretch those limits to see if that could work too. So we're not made from the same wood, DMH, but it's okay we're both here. Balance is key.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    And I'm curious to hear from karsyg1967 what all the ideas have set in motion so far?
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    Actually I said that because I was on another thread with R, which turned into her arguing with the homeowner about why they didn't want the two small upstairs baths in their house turned into one.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    There was no argue, sstar. In the Netherlands people have one shared family bathroom, so I wondered why they did not turn those two closet sized in a wonderful big one. What part of that did you find offensive? (please don't answer, we're smuthering someone's post)
  • PRO
    Seating Innovations
    10 years ago
    You may want to consider suspended seating at the bar area to give a clean, organized look to your area. Cleaning under suspended seating is a breeze- no more moving chairs around!
  • PRO
    Amber Storer
    10 years ago
    If leaving the range in the island is your preference, JennAir makes a great down draft unit that eliminates the need for a large range hood. Although I think you might be happier with the sink and range switched. It's easier to minimize a pot filler in a wall rather than having it in your island getting in the way. I do agree that centering the island with the window is the best option. if the space has already been cleared out, I suggest using blue tape and lining out the layout you like on the floor and seeing how comfortable this plan is for you to navigate.
  • Karen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Everyone's ideas have definitely got me thinking! I realize the placement of the island isn't quite right as you all said. Things I really don't want to do are 1. Close the bottom wall.....this is mostly because my husband really likes it open.
    2. Have an island that makes it impossible to have a small table for four in the bay window.
    My old plan had a peninsula at the left end of the kitchen. The sink was in the wall on the 45 degree angle and cooktop where the new sink is. My main purpose to adding an island was to make more counter space closer to the work area and to open up the family room more because it is a small room.
    This remodel was actually not by choice-we lost the home in a fire two months ago so we don't have much luxury with time and money. I had actually already chosen the Jennaire with downdraft as previous poster suggested. My house is down to foundation and studs so I am going to go over and tape out some options! Great idea!
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    What I'd like to add is an idea to move over the dining room door towards the side, so you won't walk into the island when you walk in the kitchen. This way there's more flow and the pantry could be slightly bigger. Again I turned the stove towards the sink and made a square island, sturdy looking and full of storage.
    I did not draw in any stools or tables, I'll leave that to your imagination.

Wishing you all the best in your rebuild!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    Hi - where the island was in the very first pic - at top of the thread - gave you enough space for table and chairs in bay window area -I would suggest you elongate the island so it looks more centralised to the window and move the range to the end position opposite the sink (ie turned 90 degrees from the original position ) A combination of all the good advise from the mix of answers I think ?!?
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    A bit like this? (only in my version the island is used as table)
  • chloeraymond1990
    10 years ago
    I would turn the island around and centre it with the bay and the seating in this area
    Karen thanked chloeraymond1990
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    Hi Rinqreation ! I actually meant the other way - but that works too !!
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    A slimmer island with the stove at the end seemed a bit risky to me (that was what you meant, right?), because for a stove it's recommended to have one foot clearance on both sides.
    Karen thanked rinked
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    Ah - over here it's only 6" !! Fair point !!
    Karen thanked OnePlan
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    A bit more dressed up:
    Karen thanked rinked
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    Ooooh the sun on your back as you drink a cup of coffee and watch someone else cook you breakfast !! Lovely !!
    Karen thanked OnePlan
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    The other too, added chairs/stools:
    Karen thanked rinked
  • kathy
    10 years ago
    I too like the direct access to the formal dining room as OP wants. Even the other entrance off the family room would feel to me, that I was walking through the family room to the dining room with platters of food, etc. All subjective, I realize.

To help visualize T-shaped, possibly 2-height island:

[houzz=
    West Chop Residence Kitchen · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    suburban kitchen · More Info
    ]

hmm - this last looks pretty close
    Karen thanked kathy
  • Karen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks! I've been looking at some L shaped too and drawing them on my plan! Thanks for listening and making suggestions!
  • pgeis
    10 years ago
    Sorry to hear about your fire! I hope you and your loved ones are all safe! What a horrid reason to have to remodel.

Came in late, read through the responses, and am so glad to see you are resolute about keeping a doorway - or at least a pass-through -- into the dining room! No direct access between kitchen and dining room would drive me nuts.

Fun to see a workable kitchen layout coming together, with stove near the sink and room for seating in the bay window area!

I don't have any answers for you, but i do have a couple questions:
    1. Will you be sad if you don't get your window seats? In the end, you want a kitchen that makes you smile inside. Early on, RingCreation had a sketch that did this beautifully.

2. How do people usually enter the kitchen? through the family room, or through the dining room? Will moving the door make it more or less enticing to enter the kitchen through the dining room door? It's irritating and dangerous to have the traffic flow go right through your work area. If RingCreation's early layout had a doorway into the dining room, I do not think it would encourage traffic between the sink and stove. With the table/island snugged up into the window seat, traffic would naturally flow along the cabinets next to the dining room.

Good luck! Be sure to check out some of the tips on other threads for how to select and work with contractors..
    Karen thanked pgeis
  • Karen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    pgeis, people definitely usually enter the kitchen through the family room. The rest of the house is that way. I do want to keep that doorway open. Moving the door as ring creation suggested might work...it actually might improve the dining room too. I can't visualize the island backing into the bay window though. If anyone has a photo of this, I would love to see it.
    I sort of did have my heart set on a nice window seat with storage under it and a small table. The most important part of the island to me is honestly is a place to prep food and baking and to stick the groceries on so I can unload to the fridge and pantry. I could probably deal with not having any seats there.
    I have been really thinking of an L shape island with a prep sink.

CHeck this out...would it work???

[houzz=
    Belleair Whole-House Remodel and Addition · More Info
    ]
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Best example I could find up till now. I'll search further ;-) So sorry to hear about the fire. Must be a horrible time for you.

Maher Project · More Info
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    This reminds me of your kitchen
    White on Green Kitchen · More Info
  • Karen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    OK now I'm starting to get it. I actually am really liking rinqreation's "bit more dressed up design". The island works. I can have a table and still plenty of room into the family room. The cooktop is in the right place with plenty of room on the right for prepping. Thanks for the pictures carolins!!