Shop Products
party_music50

What are you harvesting "now" 2024?

I would be very interested in a running thread about what all your climates are like and what you're all harvesting from your gardens at any given point in time. Location matters! I'm in central NY, z5, where we're known for our cold temps, above-normal cloud-cover, and precipitation. :) We had a very mild winter here, however, and there is already the faintest cast of light green showing on a few trees. Nothing is showing for my asparagus or rhubarb yet, but I am at least happy to see my garlic growing! It's raining today and we need some good spring soaks.

Somebody in a warmer area must be harvesting spring greens and radishes by now, eh? And Kate's talking about harvesting lemons and kumquats now. Where are you and your gardens at? What's being harvested 'now'?

• 3 months ago

Kale, purple sprouting broccoli, chicory, herbs, wild garlic, rhubarb. The latter appears weeks before the asparagus. Lots of other things are in season but I don't grow them.

party_music50 thanked floraluk2
  • 3 months ago

THe only thing I'm harvesting is parsley and basil from my indoor "garden". I have a lot of seedlings started under lights in my entryway, but it will be the end of May before I can plant outside. I do intend to start lettuce in my little hoop houses in the next couple of weeks.

"Your" Canastota peppers and Sophie's Choice tomatoes are growing happily, although I had to replant the balloon peppers as they did not germinate yet.

Annie

party_music50 thanked annie1992
  • 3 months ago

floral, wow I am shocked that you are harvesting all that already! whereabouts are you in the UK?! or are you using a greenhouse?! Annie can probably relate to me because we're both z5, but my rhubarb usually isn't ready to pick until nearer the end of May and kale is more like mid July. :p

Annie, I always have a potted parsley plant to bring in for winter but somehow this year it died! lol! I'm way behind on sowing seeds and need to do that today. New cats are a detriment to all of my normal activities. I do have more dahlias sprouted from seed, and my mini sweets and 'your' poblano peppers are up. I need to decide what I want to grow this year and plant my tomatoes and remaining peppers today! :)

Okie, all of that sounds like your season is almost two months ahead of what I'd see here, although we finally got some rain yesterday and again this morning and green stuff is sprouting up like mad out there! yay! I see daffodils and hyacinths blooming, if that tells you anything. :)

• 3 months ago

I'm in the south west. No, no greenhouse. Everything except the rhubarb and wild garlic has been standing all winter. Kale is a winter veg. Purple sprouting starts in February.

Chicory. It's Cicoria selvetica from Italian seed. I was introduced to it by my daughter's Roman in laws. So far it has proved perennial. (Two winters and counting.)

No sign of my asparagus yet though.

party_music50 thanked floraluk2
  • 3 months ago

floral, please tell me that you live in or around the fictional place called Port Wenn. lol! We discovered the 'Doc Martin' series a couple of years ago and love it! :) It must be because your winters are so mild -- kale is an annual here. Chicory grows wild here, looking very much like yours, but I think it's Cichorium intybus.... my father always said it was used to make coffee.

• 3 months ago

Weeds, lots and lots of weeds!

I'm in Northern Utah so only sprouts of stuff right now. Rhubarb is a few inches high, my herb and flower boxes have some green regrowth, raspberry and berry bushes are budding out, and blooms on the apricot trees are starting to open. Our last few springs have been terrible for apricots so I'm really hoping to get fruit this year.

party_music50 thanked aziline
  • 3 months ago

aziline, that reminds me of all the creeping charlie I’ve recently pulled up. Weeding CC is always the first thing I do after winter. :) Good luck with your apricots! Last year we had an early spring with late freezes and lost almost all of the apples in the county. I hope that doesn’t happen again this year.

• 3 months ago

Asparagus won't be even starting for at least a month, although the rhubarb is starting, I can see those first little red buds of leaves. Garlic is about 6 inches tall, though!

PM, tomorrow's project is to finish repotting, cabbages, broccoli, romanesco and brussels sprouts need to go into bigger pots and join the tomatoes, peppers and eggplant.

Annie

party_music50 thanked annie1992
  • 3 months ago

I hope your trees fair well too. The tree is at least 5 years old now and a good size. Last year we had a foot or 2 of snow at Easter (none of our trees did well) and the year before a spring windstorm took out all the blooms. This year looks good but I'm not holding my breath.

party_music50 thanked aziline
  • 3 months ago

No, I do not live near 'Port Wenn'. I am more inland and to the north east. Our winters are mild compared with yours, rarely going below freezing, but they are by no means balmy. We do get a few nights below 32f. But our relatively mild winters don't explain while kale is happy here.

Kale is a biennial. It overwinters and flowers in spring. It is considered one of the hardiest crops there is, mature plants easily surviving freezes and even young ones are ok at 25f.

The chicory I grow is this one. https://www.theheirloomseedstore.com/product/chicory-cicoria-selvatica-da-campo It is indeed the same as your C. intybus, though possibly selected to be leafier.

party_music50 thanked floraluk2
  • 3 months ago

Kale can be biennial if it survives the -20F that we typically get, but mine hasn’t. My sister lives in a zone warmer than me and she sometimes loses her kale in winter too. Our winters used to always have a two week spell during the middle/end of January with nights of -30F and highs below zero.

• 3 months ago

That kind of cold would finish me off, never mind the kale.

This is my allotment neighbour's rhubarb in its traditional forcing bell. The thing behind it is a cardoon.

party_music50 thanked floraluk2
  • 3 months ago

Annie, today's project for me is to plant the seeds I never got around to planting yesterday! I spent too many hours yesterday chasing around energetic kittens and yelling 'no, stop that'. lol! I did at least make a loaf of bread. :)

azIline, once a fruit tree gets to that age it gives you hope. I don't think apricots are hardy enough for here, but I've tried hardy peaches. My trees were short-lived... I definitely didn't prune or thin the fruit enough. :p

Cool photo, floral! and I went off on a tangent researching rhubarb belts and forcing.

• 3 months ago

aziline, I found some photos of my crazy yield year... 2017. In June I was thinning bowl after bowl of little peaches like this, whenever I could find the time. Eventually I gave up.

and in August I still harvested this and far more... I was giving away peaches everywhere! I still remember how good they smelled and tasted. yum!

• 3 months ago

Yesterday I harvested some different greens to go with dinner. Out in the open beds is sculpit, couple cresses, bucks horn, sea kale (a perennial), a brassica I forget the name of but it's super leafy right now, bulb fennel fronds, early celery. And a chinese cabbage under one cap. Sorrel is up too, but not very plush. Under the kitchen caps was miners lettuce, another cress, overwintered beet greens and a couple lettuce, corn salad, and some parsley. I'm sparing with the parsley at this time since it's still pretty early. Thyme and oregano are nice under the brown leaves, catnip and chives are good.

I didn't harvest all of it for dinner. It's just what all is harvestable in the gardens right now. Garlic is strong up too out in the open beds, but we aren't harvesting it. I take the tails of last years harvest and pot them up for greens in the kitchen garden this time of year.

party_music50 thanked beesneeds
  • 3 months ago

wow, beesneeds, I'm not familiar with half the things you're harvesting. I'm off to do some research. Where abouts are you located?

• 3 months ago

Sorry, forgot to add that. I'm in SW Michigan :) Some of my harvesting now is that I'm in a micropocket and I also know how to use the micropockets in my yard specific. I've worked on closing the hungry gap for years now.

party_music50 thanked beesneeds
  • 3 months ago

beesneeds, that's really cool. I have a microclimate under my bay windows and overhangs, but so far I've only used it for ornamental plantings.. I should rethink that! :)

Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia