Shop Products
krystle_hall13

What do you think of this Mudroom & Master Addition?

Hi!

These are the second drawings from our architect. What do you think?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

• last month

It is a little quirky to walk through the mud room to get to the bedroom. But I see you are connecting the garage to the house and I know you will love having a mudroom entrance.

I think the bathroom and closet can be tweeked. Doing an addition, I would want a bigger shower. I don’t like walking through the bathroom to get to the closet, but I have seen many homes that have it and people manage. Not the biggest sin.

Krystle H thanked auntthelma
  • last month

I too would not like walking through a mud room to get to my bedroom every time. I would steal space from the mudroom for a larger shower. I actually love closets accessible from or to the bath so I can get ready without reentering the bedroom and disturbing my still sleeping spouse.

Krystle H thanked roarah
  • last month

Your mudroom seems a little large compared to the other rooms.

where will the washer dryer be located? is it next to the sink?

what are all the cabinets on the bottom wall of the mudroom?

Krystle H thanked Karenseb
  • last month

What others have said plus the counter area looks small in the bath. How long is it? It needs to be at least 6 ft for 2 sinks to work.

Krystle H thanked RNmomof2 zone 5

I never like going through a bathroom to get ot eh closet You do not distub a sleeper by having no bathroom sounds coming into the bedroom only the nice quiet closet .I also think toilet rooms are plain silly no one should be on the toilet while someone else is in the bathroom If you eliminate the whole space for the toilet room youca turn the toilet and gain counter space . IMO the bathroom is very tight and the mud room odd as entry to the master . I think your architect should be able to do much better First you enter the kitchen from the garage who wants that long trek with bags of groceries .

Krystle H thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting

Seeing the master bed from the mudroom is a pretty terrible idea. At the very least you should flip the bed to the opposite wall, facing the window. And the bath seems undersized as others have said. You could easily push the shower toward the mudroom and eliminate one of the cabinets.

But even these fixes are bandaids. The whole concept of a master bedroom off a mudroom is deeply flawed.

Krystle H thanked RappArchitecture
  • last month

I’d much rather walk from my bedroom to a window-lined passage than to a pile of backpacks. So, could you do something like this?

I’m assuming there’s a chase there between the mudroom and master, that’s why the mudroom door is too close to the doning table. btw, we have our bed under the window to the yard and really like it.

Krystle H thanked bpath

100 lbs in a 50 lb bag......you need the corner . For space/entry issue only, below.....

Flawed is the word. Start with the issue of a primary bedroom entrance from a mud area passing back packs and a laundry pile, and " deeply flawed" on all counts I must agree. Add that it isn't large enough to fit your "wish list", which is perhaps the biggest issue.

Scrolling up, I see @bpath and I had the very same thought........

Krystle H thanked JAN MOYER

Any layout which separates the bedroom entrance from the mudroom is worth pursuing. There are several possible alternative layouts above, probably more that aren't suggested yet. Tell your architect third time's the charm...

Krystle H thanked RappArchitecture
  • last month

I would rather walk through a closet to get to a bathroom than walk through a bathroom to get to a closet. I’d prefer to do neither, but….

Krystle H thanked ptreckel
  • 29 days ago

A friend owned a very stately house built in 1920 and it had a room just like this ... it was the maid's room, right off the back entry and close to the kitchen. The house had 3 large bedrooms upstairs and she had 3 kids, so one of the kids slept in the "maid's" room!

Krystle H thanked chispa
  • 29 days ago

Wow, everyone seems to hate this plan just because you have to round the corner from the kitchen to the bedroom and you will see the mudroom on your way…I see know problem with it. The best thing we ever did was add a large mudroom to our house as we have active kids who play sports in all seasons with a lot of gear. The thing I desperately wish is that my master had a bathroom. Ours master bath is the main bath for the house and sits right off the living room. Not ideal with overnight guests. I say, don’t compromise on what you want/ need just because people think it’s a little weird to see the mudroom on the way to bed.

Krystle H thanked olmama

It's not aout "seeing" the mudroom on the way to the bed, it's about "going thru" the mudroom to get to the bedroom. The OP's architect should explore a layout more similar to Jan's or bpath's.

Krystle H thanked RappArchitecture
  • 29 days ago

We have a similar bath layout that requires walking on the shower mat to reach the closet & toilet, and it’s Very Annoying, especially when it’s still damp.

Krystle H thanked petula67

A bathroom, any new bath, should be adequately vented, and should not be damp.

Passing through a bath to a walk in closet is incredibly commonplace.

Passing a junk pile of boots, sneakers, backpack and laundry baskets on route in and out of a primary? No.

The real issue here is going to be give and get. There isn't enough square footage to support the most obvious needs. Too much space allocated to the bedroom, UNLESS that bedroom might contain a reach in closet.

Not enough laundry space to support what appears to be a family of five , with table dining to accommodate eight people.

A chase that appears to be for whatever reason, immovable, HAMPERING ENTRY POINTS.

Last? Perhaps adjust wish list

Consider a reach in closet and a smaller walk in

Potty privacy - not completely necessary, a feature for a much larger home and primary suite. Sharing bath time might be a good compromise.

Pick the "poisons" :) seems the bottom line, but as it stands? Much room for improvement, and don't waste dollars until it is improved.

Krystle H thanked JAN MOYER
  • 29 days ago

Would take quite a ventilation system to dry out a bath mat right after somebody has showered, which is frequently when people seek clothing from their closets.

Krystle H thanked petula67

I can't speak for others. I get MINIMAL moisture on a bath mat, zero water on the floor, my towel is dry to a bone in a matter of a couple hours. It is not necessary to step out one split second after you shut water off. Pretend you are a dog.

I think grown adults can stand in a shower, get out and not soak a floor or a mat, But that's me: )

I have a five by eight bath, no window and not exactly the lap of all luxury for size. It's a non issue.

Cracking open a door to the bath is helpful. Use of a very good fan and let it run after a shower. Mostly , what it requires is common sense. Use a steam room at the gym if you must lol

Krystle H thanked JAN MOYER
  • 29 days ago

I’m not a big dripper, either. But would still suggest the OP consider other options than having the shower entry share the walkway to the toilet and closet.

Krystle H thanked petula67
  • 29 days ago

I’m wondering where the towel IS when you step out of the shower, and where is the bathmat between showers? In fact, there is very little storage in this bathroom at all. Perhaps a high cupboard in the toilet room, but that is convenient only for personal hygiene needs.

Krystle H thanked bpath
  • 29 days ago

re bathmats depends how hairy said people are i think… i’ve always hung ours up after use to keep it clean and dry. who wants dirty feet tramping over a damp mat? more importantly it just seems cramped - stepping out of shower to a hallway with minimal space. I think you need a toilet room if closet is off of bathroom, but that this set up demands more space.

master off mudroom or kitchen are suboptimal in my book, so i’d be willing to put it off of mudroom for a significantly better layout. seems like there may be an option 3 here though.

Krystle H thanked lharpie
  • 29 days ago

Agree that the mud room entrace is odd. Can you do something like this with a separage hallway with glass siders to the porch? You can add more cubbys for the mudroom then and extend the shower with an area to dry off.

Krystle H thanked rockybird
  • 29 days ago

Agree with all others and I’d have to question what’s happening with the kitchen/dining layout too….seems like a lot of wasted space and potential awkward flow.

Krystle H thanked thinkdesignlive
  • 24 days ago

After reading your other thread with what is presented here, it may be appropriate to step back and look at the big picture. As always over the internet, some assumptions are made about context, so consider these ideas to confirm for you what was done, modify it, and/or spark another direction.

Since no OP replies have occurred, first some housekeeping of things commented on:

- The architect's changes between the previous scheme and this one appears to be adding a sink and a dog crate spot (the 'X') in the Mudroom, adding more windows to the backyard (by moving the bed and placing vanity by a window), while increasing size by only 50sf. Note it appears the drafter just forgot to flip the bed to the other wall, as they have a slider shown to the deck (just a visual mistake).

- A question was asked about the chase next to the Master door. A previous remodel added the lean-to addition, with the beam placed under the upper floor dormer wall rather than the 1st floor exterior wall, so that created a "nook." With the future addition on the other side of this "nook," a wall was added to clean it up and that created a false chase.

- The too-large open circulation space along the previous back wall addition is because the Kitchen island placement is between 2 posts holding up this beam. I do not know if the dead space behind the stove location is usable or not and whether fixing the Kitchen layout is in the cards.

- The Mudroom "cabinet" is relocating an existing piece of furniture.

___________________

On to what I see with the proposed plan. It seems you would be happy with any Master/Mudroom addition and you will adapt to any design. Things like eliminating the entry to the Master through the Mudroom, or having a more usable shower size, are bonus at this point. But I also see some adjacencies that can be improved while doing that.

Looking at the existing outdoor living, it has the hot tub accessible via the deck, has visual connection, has the BBQ and a second table next to it, and has the garage as the backhouse entry. But your proposed plan ignores and eliminates all of this. Can this be brought closer to the main living, and combine all outdoor eating and seating together adjacent to the Kitchen? Can your Mudroom also function as a backhouse entry?

In Scheme A my first goal was to move the interior entry to this addition to not create dead space or multiple halls, all while creating a "vestibule" which separates entry to both the backhouse and Master. It appears your dining table is existing in the previous addition, can it remain there? Also trying to keep circulation to the hot tub, outdoor cooking, and backhouse entry, but they are still disconnected.

So on to Scheme B, which rotates a larger Dining Room (I do not see anything structurally preventing this) and moves the Master farther away to allow bringing the outdoor living closer to the interior public areas and combining with the main deck outdoor living (a flush-to-deck hot tub). Maybe introducing a Powder Room for hot tub use nearer that circulation.

Understand this kind of sketch is diagrammatic, but represents fairly close to wall/demarcated open areas. The arrows represent circulation, views, nodes, and/or arrival points.

Krystle H thanked 3onthetree

After a week and no input from the op, we tend to assume they did or didnt get what they wanted…

or nothing made sense to them.

But that can happen when there are multple threads for the same house.

The context gets lost in the weeds:)

Krystle H thanked JAN MOYER
  • 24 days ago

Thank you so much for all your input. We have had a family matter to attend to, but we truly appreciate all the feedback and will be revising based on this feedback.

I will update when I can, but thank you!