Shop Products
shekinah1989

What are the best part shade tolerant smaller evergreens?

Looking for a single (ideally conical) evergreen tree or shrub for a foundation bed. Zone 5a. Gets about 2 hrs of sun 12-2 and dappled evening sun. Max height of about 8’ or something that could be trimmed to stay around 8’. TIA!

• 29 days ago

I love my evergreen Helleri Holly Dwarf shrubs. They grow up to 3 feet in diameter, are deer resistant too. I live in NJ and they are quite happy here!

• 28 days ago

It depends on where you are in the country. For example, in partial shade areas, I have Densiformis yews, Hicksi yews, Everlow yews, and 'Winter Gem' boxwood. Also, semi-evergreen varieties of Euonymous, such as Moonshadow, Canadale, Emerald Gaiety, and Emerald 'n' Gold. I haven't tried any hollies, because my soil tends toward alkaline, and I think hollies prefer acidic soil.

• 28 days ago

Forgot to mention that none of these are conical.

The bonus with yews is they take to pruning to shape very well.

• 28 days ago

Forestfarm has an upright plum yew. Looks like it's z6, but some plants can be "stretched" a zone cooler if sheltered.

https://www.forestfarm.com/cephalotaxus-harringtonia-fastigiata-ceha196.html

• 28 days ago

Skip laurel could work.

Google yews pruned in conical shape and of cours the ones thta work in your climate I am in Zone 6 in Canada we had areally weird storm last winter it went to - 38 celsius and my yews survived and no winter kill.

• 28 days ago

Here's my Hicksii Yew about 4 years out of a one-gallon pot (I seriously need to learn how to prune it). Zone 4a, 40"+ high, growing in the shade on north side of a 16ft. high very thick red pine grove. Gets a little AM sun and maybe 2-3 hours of late afternoon sun.

• 27 days ago

Deer?

• 27 days ago

Until the deer question is answered…

• 27 days ago

There's also weeping eastern hemlock, which is a weeping/dwarf version of standard eastern hemlock. I think there are also other dwarf versions of eastern hemlock, which is very shade-tolerant. I don't know if the hemlock woolly adelgid is present in your area, but they may not notice a dwarf......

• 27 days ago

The Harringtonia plum yews are supposed to be deer- resistant, and they have not touched mine. One is upright but not conical, though they are prunable as gardengal noted, and not destined for 8” tall. I like Dee Runk boxwood, which is naturally conical, but slow- growing; I have one in a container, so more like 3-4 ‘ tall after several years but probably would grow more if in the ground.

• 27 days ago

With a little more sun and alot of patience you might consider an umbrella pine...This is a dwarf named 'Picola'

• 27 days ago

FYI the plum yew (Cephalotaxus harringtonii) wont be hardy in zone 5a.

• 26 days ago

indianagardengirl, I guess “yew” are right about zone. Certainly not for investing in foundation or other major plantings.

• 26 days ago

Plum yews are not true yews, which are much hardier. Don't know about their prunability but guess not as good as true yews.

• 26 days ago

Just to comment on my own personal experience.

I've had this Taunton yew, planted from a smaller pot May 28, 2019.

Even when I used to have deer coming into my yard at night, not once did I see evidence of deer browsing this yew and I never protected it. Summer or winter.

To me, deer are a separate problem that has to be delt with separately.

If you only had plants that were deer resistant, your garden would be pretty boring.

At least mine would.

5 years in the ground 'Taunton yew'. 6-17-2024:

• 26 days ago

"Maureen" yew is narrow and upright, 5 feet tall, approximately 1 foot in width.