Shop Products
ker9

SW Pure White vs BM Super White (High Reflective White , Chantilly)

I’m looking to do whole house one color. I do not want to see yellow.

I had SW Alabaster in a different home and was not a fan of its slight yellow gray tone.

We have plantation shutters in every room that are close to SW High reflective white (HRW) (I did not not select this, it is what it is.)

Will Pure White look dingy or yellow?
Will Super White be blindingly white?

We will do the trim in the same paint different sheen, except in living area all the trim is already SW HRW, crown & base.

HRW doesn’t seem to far off from Super White and I would not use HRW for walls.

• 29 days ago

If you scroll down the Pure White webpage, you see Pure White side by side with Extra White which is less yellow but still slightly darker (LRV 86) than High Reflective White (LRV 94). SW writes that Pure White is a "versatile, bright white has the slightest yellow undertone..."

ker9 thanked wdccruise

Will Pure White look dingy or yellow?

Dingy happens in the dimension of Chroma. If Chroma values are too close, each color of white has the potential to make the other look dirty/dingy. And it depends on who ya ask if it actually looks dirty/dingy.

The rule of thumb is a Chroma difference of 0.20 ish to get enough contrast between two colors of white to avoid dirty/dingy. It's a rule of thumb, not a prescription.

Will Super White be blindingly white?

Unlikely. Brightness is the word we use to describe how we perceive Lightness in a color. Super White is middle of the road in terms of brightness compared to other colors of white. It's not the brightest. But it's not the darkest either.

High Reflective White is noticeably brighter than Super White.

I don't recommend comparing paint chips of Super White and High Reflective white.

If there's a decision between the two, you have to buy a quart in the grade and sheen that's going up because grade and sheen both matter in this case.

Note HRW is not available in all SW products. For that reason (and a few others) many color professionals don't consider HRW an actual "paint color"; it's more like another untinted based option in a handful of SW products. It's if you know, you know, rookie color consultant mistake kinda thing.

• 28 days ago

@Lori A. Sawaya Thank you! I do not want to use HRW, but already have it on the baseboard and crown in the great room. If I use Super White on walls, will it look ok or do I have to repaint the trim?. Sheen will be different but they seem quite close so if no significant contrast that would be good.

I'm leaning towards Super White over Pure White - thank you for your help, it is much appreciated!

• 28 days ago

Also, we have this horrible texture on our walls called knock down. I’m planning to use a mat finish so it will hopefully be less noticeable.

Super white may accentuate that problem?

IMO any "white" will look dingy and yellow in lighting that is not LED 4000K 5-6 K too blue

is too blue and anything lower than 4k is always going to add a yellow cast

ker9 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 28 days ago

What about super white vs BM white?
    White has less chroma than super white but not by much and they have same LRV.
    The hue is different at 1.78 for white vs 3.41 for super white.
    Values are close.
    I’m not sure I understand what hue tells me.

I'm not sure what those numbers are telling you either - nothing to do with a notation that defines and describes what these colors look like in terms of hue family.

Hue just tells you what family a color belongs to. There are ten hue families; the middle of each family is marked with a big dot. Colors with a notation around that dot will have a greater concentration of that hue parent. It's usually noticeable especially when comparing to colors from other hue families.

You can get at hue two ways. Either the degrees on the outside of the wheel. Or the colored spokes on the inside.

Degrees are part of the L=Lightness, C=Chroma, and h=hue angle notation.

Spokes on the inside are Munsell hue order and family designations.

They work together on one color wheel because the Munsell spokes part was actually the template for the degrees part on the outside.

Value - Super White is lighter and brighter and most people could see that.

Chroma - they're so close it's negligible.

Neither is better than the other relative to HRW.

ker9 thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • 28 days ago

We did our master bath in BM Super White and I really like it. Not a blinding white and we have no natural light in there. Just a soft clean white. You may want to consider doing your trim, crown and walls all the same white (matte on walls, semi gloss on trims).

ker9 thanked jackowskib
  • 26 days ago

I don't know why I haven't considered Chantilly Lace, I should test that.

• 25 days ago

The comments by @Lori A. Sawaya on the post linked below regarding seeing yellow may explain why white paints look yellow to me (older eyes). Very helpful in providing some understanding, great post, thank you again, Lori.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6451429/sherwin-williams-needlepoint-navy-or-waterloo-for-exterior-siding

Still not sure what to do about it.

Recently read that Super White or Chantilly will look dingy in low light (but probably won't look yellow).

We have 12 foot ceilings in the "great" room and generally the upper 4-5 feet are always in shadows.

I have a sample of BM Swiss Coffee, it seems to be less yellow than the Shoji White we currently have.

• 24 days ago

We just painted our kitchen with pure white. The rest of our house interior is alabaster, which I do love, but it works with our trim and decor and we have a lot of large windows. The pure white is noticeably whiter and brighter, so I don’t think you will find it to be yellow at all. In my case, I’m sitting here debating if I should ask the painters to do another coat over the top in alabaster because it feels so shockingly white.

• 24 days ago

Chantilly Lace is the perfect whole house interior paint!.

• 16 days ago

Still need to get Chantilly sample. Was surprised to see a bit if yellow in Pure White.

Unless I change direction toward beige leaning orange, I suspect it may come down to Chantilly vs Super White.

1 Marsh House · More Info