Shop Products
sharon_luzzi

side of garage landscaping ideas needed

I'm looking for some ideas for landscaping a small area on the side of my home. The space is narrow and doesn’t get much sun. Any suggestions for plants, design elements, or general tips would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance for your help!

• 21 days ago

Landscaping a small, shady area can be a fun challenge! Don't worry, I've got some great ideas to share with you.

For plants, consider shade-tolerant varieties like:

- Ferns (Autumn, Maidenhair, or Ostrich)

- Hostas (various sizes and colors)

- Astilbe (feathery plumes in pink, red, or white)

- Creeping Thyme (low-growing, fragrant, and drought-tolerant)

- Hydrangea (compact varieties like 'Tiny Tim' or 'Mini Penny')

Design elements to enhance the space:

- Add a small patio or walkway using natural stone or brick

- Incorporate a trellis or obelisk for climbing plants like clematis or ivy

- Use a statement piece, like a large planter or sculpture, to draw the eye

- Install a small water feature, like a birdbath or fountain, for soothing sounds

General tips:

- Opt for a mix of textures and heights to create visual interest

- Select plants with different bloom times for year-round color

- Consider a theme, like a woodland or cottage garden, to guide your design

- Don't forget to add some outdoor lighting to highlight your beautiful new space!

I hope these ideas inspire you to create a beautiful and peaceful oasis on the side of your home. Happy landscaping!

• 20 days ago

If you want really low maintenance, plant Geranium macrorrhizum. Evergreen in zone 6 and above, blooms in late spring. No maintenance at all.

• 20 days ago

I love hostas but it depends on where you are located.

Westlake Side Yard · More Info

Historic Home Portland Landscaping · More Info

Southside Kitchen Garden · More Info

Landscapes · More Info

• 20 days ago

Where do you live? Your local garden center can give you the best planting advise. My go to are hosta. I could fill that strip up in an hour and you would never tell where I took them from my garden. There are several ground covers that come to mind, ajuga, snow on the mountain, vinca vine, creeping jenny..... but I think the idea of expanding the walk way may be your best bet. We go back and forth with all sorts of things garbage cans/wheel barrels/toys and that walk way is barely sufficient. If you go with pebbles/rocks of any kind count on weeds. It's only a matter of time before enough dirt settles in the rocks above the "weed barrier" that weed seeds can take hold. Preen can help but that can get spendy. Some ground covers can be lightly walked on w/o a lot of damage so if a person missteps on your narrow walk way no harm done but again there's always something else that will take hold too. My latest ground cover discovery is Pulmonaria. Check it out. Pretty leaves even flowers. That area looks dry and it may need more moisture? If you put pavers or cement down then one large planter to tend it would be the least work over time.

• 20 days ago

Do you need a place to store the trash cans out of sight?

• 20 days ago

Not enough information given. Do you live in Texas? Montana? London? Capetown? New Hampshire?

Do those trashcans normally reside there on the driveway?

• 20 days ago

Depending on where you live, some commonly sold groundcovers are invasive and harm the natural areas near you. They spread by seed too so there is no way to contain them to your property. Vinca, creeping jenny and ajuga are the common offenders where I live. The woods are full of this stuff killing the native plants.

Geranium macrorhassum, already suggested, is a great alternative. Anemone virginiana is another. Both are tough as nails, native, and help not harm the environment.

• 20 days ago

Can’t recommend plants without location information. as others have pointed out, where the garbage cans will go so that they can be put out of sight from the street is also a consideration.

Vinca spreads by roots but Ilove it in places where it does not matter if it spreads like on steep slopes or under trees that are huge and have grat shade. I would put down lanscape fabric some pea gravel and nice pots filled with seaonal colorful plants .

• 20 days ago

Vinca is a bad invasive where I live in Ontario, and is on the invasives lists in many other places. It does spread by root, but also by seed, and is found here in mid-forest, far from its source.

I know many people still buy and plant it, but if you want to avoid the spread of invasives to our natural areas, be aware this is on all the lists as one to avoid.

I planted it many years ago on the advice of a landscape designer, and I am slowly removing it. Not a small job.

• 20 days ago

Landscape fabric covered with stones accumulates debris and then weeds grow in it. The weed roots pierce the fabric. Some weeds are strong enough to come up through it. It ends up being quite high maintenance.

Here's a picture of my neighbour's boulevard. Small river rocks over double layer of heavy landscape fabric. I've already pulled the tall weeds to keep them from seeding on my side. It looked worse.

• 20 days ago

I'd do groundcovers. Tiarella should do well with little sun.

• 20 days ago

Thanks all. I’m in zone 6a. I’m planning on pouring concrete or brick pavers from the garage forward and putting the garbage cans there. It will also be extra space to park a car without blocking my garage door. But looking for ideas for the rest of the area from the start of the garage back to the yard. I would love to pave it all but it’s too expensive and won’t be approved by my surburb as there are green space laws. Will probably plant some hostas and call it a day.

• 19 days ago

I would just gravel or fill with pavers and put the garbage cans there, in the area right next to the garage. Then erect a fence or screen from the front edge of the garage to the existing fence to hide the cans. Then add some shrubs in the area next to the driveway to soften all the hard surfaces...depends on where you live and the exposure. I would want something flowering and with winter color interest.

• 19 days ago

I'd put a couple of bushes and fill the rest with hosta and groundcovers.

for these you'd have to tailor the plants/trees to your area

• 19 days ago

Wow! Love these ideas. Thanks so much Beth! Really appreciate the mock up too.