Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hutuwawa

how to update worm treated pine paneling in family room

hutuwawa
10 years ago
Our home has a good size family room with a beautiful stone fireplace. But the entire room is covered with worm treated pine paneling. This room is facing north so it doesn't get too much natural light inspite of the big windows. Actually one of the contractors commented that it looks like a funeral parlor. Of course we didn't choose him. :(

I would appreciate very much for any suggestion to brighten it up. My husband loves the hutch and we probably won't touch that. We don't want to remove the paneling (or at least all of them), because we love the texture and the grain. We don't want to paint over wood either. Does that mean my only option is to white wash? probably remove the panels around the fireplace?

Comments (28)

• PRO
    Circle Goods Reclaimed
    10 years ago
    In my opinion, most wall wood paneling has become very outdated. Maybe what you could do though is take out the wall across from the fireplace and just drywall with a nice texture look? It is tough on this because it is much easier just to take out all the wall paneling and start over.
  • loridianne
    10 years ago
    Why not embrase the coziness of the room? I would paint the ceiling a deeper warmer color, far to stark and too much contrast. As there is no furniture yet are you buying new? Use the furniture, area rugs, window coverings and accessories to brighten up the space but don't go white! Creams, sage greens with maybe some red accents for a pop of color here and there would look great!
    hutuwawa thanked loridianne
  • PRO
    purehome
    10 years ago
    Hi there, we love all the character your home has! There are some easy solutions that you could do, while maintaining the wood panels. Lightening up the floor would be my first recommendation. This will make a world of difference!

Next, I would consider painting the doors and trim a vibrant color, to bring the eye to circulate throughout the space, rather than just seeing wood. Also, Interior Design trends typically repeat, so I would keep that in mind when considering whether to take the panels down or not. They're probably going to come back in! You will probably appreciate the coziness of this look throughout the winter, as well.

It would make a great difference as well, if you white wash the stone above the fireplace. This will really make it pop- also give it kind of a beachy, organic feel.

I hope these suggestions help. Please feel free to respond with questions.

Regards,

Andie P., Allied A.S.I.D.
    Purehome.com
    hutuwawa thanked purehome
  • Michelle Bright
    10 years ago
    This looks just like a house I looked at that was just on the market in Atlanta...
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    You have too much wood and its a very dated look. Keep bookcases. But paint white. Paint wall after removing pine. A pale latte. To warm it up. Fireplace is great. Is this a TV room?
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Area rugs on dated floors will bring it together. Use color and a print in rug.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Great windows. Only places light colored panels n ends of windows, leave top bare.
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- The bookcases I would say to keep as they are but the paneling ..... lets talk some common sense --- if you like it then keep it and you said you don't want to paint it -- white washing is still painting it . I usually recommend removing old wood paneling because it's old and dry and maybe the electrical has to be up dated or checked. But it has been there for a long time ,it doesn't owe anyone a thing and most of all - it's not precious so it can be removed and or painted . So leave the bookcases - paint or remove the paneling from the walls -some or all - your choice . I have seen old paneled rooms that the trims were painted gloss black and it was beautiful . If you keep most or all of the paneling then lighten the room with lots of white or light furniture and drapes and better lights and lamps and so on. Paint the ceiling a color like a light tan or a very pale blue , to balance the room . Find a light and or colorful area rug.
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Andie has a great idea because washing the paneling over the fireplace first gives you a good feel for how it can turn out, but a fireplace wall that has the same tonal weight still works in a room full of wood. My most important advice is don't use white. Pick a natural tan the color of one of your stones - a warm pale neutral - something like sw macadamia - so the result is still warm and natural and looks great next to the warmth of the rest of the wood. Think if you keep bookcase, you should keep it all except that fire overmantel area, then, add lights, light tones that relate to the gorgeous stone. Just one idea - here's some other stuff to ponder . . .

Inside the bookcase bottom you can test in the back - here's one
    http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6142-macadamia/
    b
    1/2 paint 1/2 water to start, so you can work with it until it feels even to you. Leave it to dry and come back before you decide you want another coat - let the wood tannins develop a bit first.

For the floor, bring in a very large rug if you are afraid of painting the floor - it will bounce the light around/ or a straw tone indooor outdoor should be doable. Then, concentrate on lighting. Use the battery powered lights to light the bookcase and some art lights too. Use 3M command hangers everywhere - put up big, abstract modern art over your sofa. Consider some of the retro wing chairs by the fireplace in a stone color. Use monochromatic camel/ earth tones on the sofa with persimmon / red-orange accents in the art, some tall glass on the shelves. If you like any of the gray in the stone, repeat that in pearl tones somewhere.

On the other side of the shelving, consider a tan matted gallery of sepia toned friends and family casual photos. Add lots of lighting - end tables and big lamps with three way lights.
    hutuwawa thanked libradesigneye
  • PRO
    Jennifer Ware
    10 years ago
    A Crew of Two - you've got the right idea. I don't know why people want to instantly tear out wood paneling. Paint it, white wash it ....it looks amazing! People pay a lot of money to get that look. Could go either way from Shabby Chic, French Country to Scandinavian or Beach style.
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    Thanks, I was feeling odd man out here....lol
  • txreynolds
    10 years ago
    The floor is kinda cool, I think I would stain it a dark chocolate brown. Paneling is outdated and needs to be painted either white or choose a color that will compliment the fireplace. Ceiling looks like it could use a fresh coat of paint, too. Replace the old thermostat with something new and sleek.
  • evamdesign
    10 years ago
    I don't think it's the walls that look dated, its just the rest of the room that looks worn. The wood walls look classy and warm. I like a Crew of Two idea of whitewashing the floor.. I think it's the details that can elevate this room. Remove all the old fixtures, the thermostat, the electrical covers, the registers and get modern, brushed nickel ones (unless they are matched wood). The door looks small and not suitable for what should be a grand entrance. Any chance to widen that opening with a double door, adding one to the left? If not I would maybe modernize the look by turning it into a sliding barn door opening.

I think adding a full length of track lighting focused on some great art on the walls, maybe more sculptural stuff would add some drama. I also think the shelves in the hutch can be customized with a more substantial edge to again add a modern feel to them. I can't wait to see how it turns out!
    hutuwawa thanked evamdesign
  • evamdesign
    10 years ago
    This house looks like it is from the mad men era and this was likely used as a smoking room by the men, so a light sanding of the paneling may be in order. But to truly modernize it I would suggest opening it up to the adjacent room, even if just a 6 foot wide opening. This would allow the space to flow, and bring in more light and make that wood panelling less heavy and oppressing. Of course that is if structure, floor plan and budget allows this. Else I would likely call this a library, as I doubt it would be used as the family room
    hutuwawa thanked evamdesign
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    Are you still there hutuwawa? Your room, while understandably drab to your eyes in its present state, has the potential to be a show stopper, and I'm really excited for you. I like the texture that the paneling will add under a few coats of (gasp!) paint. I love evam's suggestion to widen the entry -- which we can see will involve a tad of electrical work. The tall windows are grand, and what an interesting lot; it almost looks as though the lawn is floating in the middle of a marsh. Great suggestions so far, you're oozing with potential here. I have a feeling that I'll be mentally updating your space for the rest of the day!

Hopefully these pics will give you some inspiration. Cursor over them to enlarge, especially the first one to see the handsome texture of the painted paneling. You just don't get that depth with drywall.
    [houzz=
    Woodinville Retreat · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Showhome 2010 - 2 · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Great Room · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Transitional Living Room · More Info
    ]
    hutuwawa thanked Barnhart Gallery
  • hutuwawa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you guys sooooo much for your great advice. I never thought of white washing the floor, because I was under the assumption that the floor should be darker than the wall to keep the room grounded. I will definitely think more about that option.

I also agree with working on the panels behind the fireplace, I was thinking about picking up some gray from the stone.

We ARE going to widen the entrance, opening it up a bit to the adjacent kitchen, so it feels more connected with the rest of the house. But it was so hard to convince my husband, because exactly as evamdesign said, he wanted to keep it as a smoking room and man cave. :D

Thank you again for your great suggestions. I will test whitewash the floor and others, and will be back with before and afters.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    Balance the tones in the room. Whitewashing the parquet floor is an iffy proposition; painting the ceiling a deep greige will help lose the 80s sensibility of the room.
    The fireplace has issues; it looks like really fake stone veneer, and it dominates the room in an unpleasant way. You might consider removing this bulky item, or re-facing it in a modern material, like rolled steel.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Just playing with it :)

I like a light floor and a dark trim. Maybe paint the doors a light neutral and get curtains in a natural linen, for example.

And if it were my house, I'd remove the fireplace and get a nice wood burner (or at least something smaller with cute tiles, smaller texture stone, etc.).
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    "We don't want to paint over wood either. Does that mean my only option is to white wash? probably remove the panels around the fireplace?" Yes. The room looks depressing to me and the stone fireplace needs better quarters.
  • caseylubin
    10 years ago
    We had a similar situation and we white washed everything and it turned out beautifully I was skeptical at first but it just looked amazing!
    hutuwawa thanked caseylubin
  • PRO
    Paula Winter Design
    10 years ago
    I've designed a few rooms where we had this era of walls and windows. It's difficult to see what's on the other side of the entrance(hallway, steps, changes in flooring , windows, etc.) A great idea would be to open the entry as much as possible and mimic the shape of the opposing windows-- always thinking about enhancing the light, architecture, and value.
  • PRO
    Mitchell Channon Design
    10 years ago
    I agree with the advice to embrace the coziness. With this paneling and a northern exposure it will never be bright and sunny. Going lighter in this room will only emphasize the cool natural light. If this were my house or project I would definitely paint the ceiling a rich dark blue/green jewel tone.. It will give a whole new life to the paneling a make it glow. An alternative is to paint the ceiling a dark chocolate brown.
  • PRO
    Rustica Hardware
    10 years ago
    A barn door would be perfect for your door opening if you want to have a rustic look. See: http://rusticahardware.com/barn-door-hardware/
  • anitajoyce
    10 years ago
    Four words...Paint the walls white!
  • PRO
    McClure Tables
    10 years ago
    Perfect addition to a man cave would be custom made game tables...shuffleboard or pool tables! Check us out and let us know how we can help you.
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    http://houzz.com/discussions/638058
    Similar recent dilemma before and after.
  • camedl
    10 years ago
    I'm not a professional designer, but I would take the stone all the way up or replace the fire place with some other kind. Actually, I would replace it with a more narrow one and open up the doorway. I agree there is too much dark paneling. I like the white washing idea. One other idea; the paneling could stay at the bottom, change the color and put a nice railing and grass cloth or other color or covering above it. Then the ceiling would be fine. Not sure what the flooring is. if it's parquet, I would refinish it and use a rug for color. I don't like those doors. Great doors would make a difference I think.