Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lanelyon

one large kitchen sink or double sinks????????? in kitchen

lanelyon
10 years ago
Im trying to decide for my kitchen remodel if I would rather have a single sink or stick with the double sinks w/ divider...any advice?

Comments (72)

• Ann
    10 years ago
    I vote single over double. Mine is probably 70/30 with a low divider (silgranit cascade). I like it very much, more than my previous 50/50.
  • resist9
    10 years ago
    Single is more practical if you want to fill large pots or leave pans to soak. I recently moved to a house with a 50/50 sink and it's very awkward to use, even without a corgi.
  • cabingirl13
    10 years ago
    I just got rid of a double (50/50) and went to a 10" deep single sink and LOVE it. It is so much easier to wash large pots-cookie sheets etc. I still load all my regular dishes in the dishwasher after each meal....a few pots/pan may sit there for a few hours but then get washed by hand.
  • tokyotech
    10 years ago
    If the only downfall of a double sink is that one or both partitions are too small for large pots, then does any company sell a double sink with two gigantic partitions?
  • KD
    10 years ago
    I'm pretty happy with a good sized single sink. I think it gives more options in general - you can always put a dishpan in it if you want to segregate stuff without taking over the whole sink (I usually soak dishes in a dishpan, which leaves a few inches of sink still available for rinsing or pouring out other things, etc.)

That said, I think it depends also on your household. I currently share a house with two other adults and one child, and having the double sink in the kitchen here means that when other people have piled dishes in the sink instead of putting them in the dishwasher where they belong, you still have a sink you can actually USE for stuff like straining pasta without having to deal with all the dirty dishes first. (Hey, some days I am really not feeling like cleaning up after everyone else before I make a quick meal for myself and go to bed.) Both bowls in our sink are the same size, though, and while they're not large enough to really properly soak a very large platter or pan, they're big enough for most things.
  • wyndyacre
    10 years ago
    I couldn't live without my double sink. Each bowl is 15x20" and 9" deep which is big enough to wash any of my pots in. It also serves as an impromptu laundry sink or small pet washing station if needed since I don't have room in my schoolhouse home for a utility room. There is no room for a dishwasher either...I use one side for washing dishes and the other for the drain/drying rack.
  • Lady Tottington's Poodle
    9 years ago
    Top tip my friend just told me. Take your pots to try them in the display sink before you order x
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    One big, deep sink. A shallow sink is a waste of space.
  • stutayva
    9 years ago
    I've had both. Go with large single!
  • winuzz2
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    With a large single basin, and dirty pots soaking in soapy water, after you wash one you lift it out of the soapy water, turn on the tap, and rinse the soapy water off, then dry the pot, right? If so, the water level rises each time you turn on the tap to rinse the soapy water off of a pot, right? How do you prevent the sink water from getting too near the top?

a. after washing each pot, put it back in the soapy water, then , after they have all been washed, drain the water and rinse the pots one at a time without putting the drain plug back into the sink?

b. after washing each pot, turn on the water and rinse it, then after several pots have been rinsed, drain the soapy water to a lower level so you have space for the rinse water from the next few pots?

c. some other method?
  • Leslie Brooks
    9 years ago
    Kholer makes a double sink where the divider is only half height. That is what I ordered for my new house. I'm very excited about this because I get two bowls but I can fit large sheet pans.
  • PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    9 years ago
    For a more modern application I usually use one large undermount sink

Thanks

J Design Group, Top Contemporary Miami Interior Designers - Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida - Decorators - http://www.JDesignGroup.com
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    In my last kitchen, my husband insisted on a standard equal double! Who's the kitchen designer here? I let him have his way since he was the primary cook, but for 10 years I regretted that choice. Honestly, the right side never had anything in it except for dust and cobwebs :-) I moved in to a 1925 vintage home 4 years ago, redid my kitchen and went with a large single bowl. I LOVE IT! I'm never going back. ON the occasion that I wash by hand, I just get out my quilted, padded drying sheet from BB&B and let them airdry on the counter for 20 minutes. When I have a large pan or cookie sheet to wash, I love not having that fussy divider. I bought a small dish pan to keep under the sink to kind of create a double, when I need it....but so far, I haven't used it!

The only other sink I MIGHT consider is a low-divide so it wouldn't take as long to fill up a small space for washing something smaller.

In a larger kitchen, it would be nice for one medium single bowl for prep/veggies/pasta draining near the range/ref and one super large for the clean up area near the DW. In my mind, that would be perfection.
  • PRO
    Harmoni Designs + Build
    9 years ago
    Most of our clients have a strong preference for one or the other. It seems to depend on how they like to use it, more so than on aesthetics. If you have room elsewhere, you might want to consider adding a smaller bar sink as well. A lot of people get good use out of those and it sometimes help those on the fence about single versus double decide which route to go.
  • PRO
    O'Carroll Custom Cabinetry
    9 years ago
    Professionally and personally i would go with a single basin sink. There are a small few who demand a 60/40 or 50/50 split but for function and resale purposes it a slam dunk.
  • PRO
    Studio 76 Kitchens and Baths
    9 years ago
    Overwhelmingly our clients prefer one large kitchen sink because they mainly only wash larger items that they cant fit into their dishwasher. Another strong trend is kitchen sinks made of a composite material ie. Blanco's Silgranit
  • bluenan
    9 years ago
    Two equally large and deep, I air dry pots and pans and need a dry side for that, and soak some things and need a separate side for doing that as well. I never have problems hand washing anything.
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    9 years ago
    Studio 76, we also suggest Blanco Silgranit sinks to our clients. If you research online, they have about the highest customer satisfaction out there when it comes to kitchen sinks. Granted, no sink is perfect, but Silgranit comes close. I love the new Truffle color. We have it paired with Cambria's Newquay in our showroom and it looks great!
  • PRO
    Studio 76 Kitchens and Baths
    9 years ago
    Agreed. The colors are earthy and yet neutral and undermount nicely with quartz or granite. Love the one you have pictured @The Kitchen Place .... here's the "Truffle" color in Blanco's Silgranit Diamond 1-1/2 bowl with Cambria's "Bellingham" quartz top. Blanco claims their Silgranit is non-porous and sheilds against bacteria. www.blancoamerica.com
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    9 years ago
    I saw that picture earlier today as I was browsing Silgranit sinks. Gorgeous!!!!
  • lindler
    9 years ago
    Winnuzz2 - I don't fill my sink all the way and as I rinse let the water level come up. Occasionally, I have to let some water out. This is what I do in my 50/50 since I use the other side to dry. We are remodeling and will go with a single bowl sink since my current sink drives me crazy when I wash cookie sheets and pans.
  • lanelyon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I am finally "about" to decide on a Blanco silgranite sink. I'm thinking it will be quieter than the
    stainless I've always had. I am liking the metallic gray (sounds icky I know). I will have a lighter
    granite or quartz ...whitish greyish... and white dove perimeter and darker brownish grayish island. my floors are in the dark rustic chestnut family. I am scared of the whit staining from reading about these online. Any thoughts on the color?????
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    9 years ago
    I recently did a job for a client that got white inset cabinets, darker island and hutch area in quartersawn oak. Her quartz tops were Viatera Everest and she did the Truffle Blanco finish. It was beautiful. In her space, the warmer grey of truffle looked better....but it all depends on the other colors in your space. Which countertop are you using??? If I can find a picture of my clients sink, I'll post it here soon. Both Everest and Aria have a tinge of that truffle color in them.
  • lanelyon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thx for answering. I'm trying to finalize countertop now. (before actually ordering sink) Yes I would love photos of your client's space. I will look at those quartz tomorrow.
  • garne2t
    8 years ago

I prefer a large single sink because:

1) Easier cleaning of large pans and cookie sheets.

2) With a double sink, food always gets in the drain of the sink without the garbage disposal.

• Donna Bryant
    8 years ago

These comments have been extremely helpful. Corgis aside and instead 2 chihuahuas to bathe in the kitchen, I have decided on a single sink. The deciding post was the last one by garne2t about food always getting in the sink without the garbage disposal. I have a double sink now but use a dishpan anyway to protect the sink. Washing big pots and cookie sheets will be easier in a single sink. We had a single sink hanging off the wall in the kitchen when I was little and I always thought they were old-fashioned looking. One day the light-bulb came on in my head and I thought, "Well why not." This form has helped me to decide. My preference is a single large sink. Thank you to all.

• lindler
    8 years ago
    Now that I have lived with my single sink for over a year, I can say I have come to prefer it over my old 50/50. I love how easily it accommodates my large sheet pans, as well as other large pots and pans. It hides the dirty dish clutter from view on the occasions, they are placed in the sink (we typically load directly into dishwasher). I believe it comes down to what your individual preference is and how you use your sink. The biggest adjustment for me has been having my drying area on the counter rather than in the right bowl. Now things get put away faster since they are on the counter rather than sitting forever in the drying rack (actually a positive thing). Overall, I've been pleased with my single sink decision.
  • lindler
    8 years ago
    The sink.
  • eightpondfarm
    8 years ago

if your one large sink is large enough, and that's an iffff! you can always have an insert....like a rubbermaid tub or something if you ever need a double area for anything. you can take it out, put it in... you have the option. the choice. the flexibility. i'm for one LARGE sink!!! always!

• PRO
    DirectSinks
    8 years ago

We definitely sell more single bowl sinks than double bowl. I find that most double bowl users are also garbage disposal users.

There are other options. How about choosing both? This large rectangle has an acrylic divider that allows you to have double bowls when needed, and a single bowl when you don't.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    8 years ago

That is very interesting, Direct! Pretty cool actually. I suppose you would need a slight positive reveal on the sink cutout with granite/quartz. How does it stay in place?

• PRO
    DirectSinks
    8 years ago

I don't know if you can see it in this picture, but there is a built in "channel" that holds the acrylic divider in place. And the divider has a rubber gasket around the edge to make it water tight. You'd definitely want the two pieces at the fabrication shop, so they get the reveal just right.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    8 years ago

Thanks. Brilliant idea. Cool that it also has two drains. I would like to read a few homeowner reviews on this sink.

• bldoane
    7 years ago

I would like to know the product name for the sink that Directsinks is referring to. I love it.

• PRO
    DirectSinks
    7 years ago

This is the [DSC301717 [(https://www.houzz.com/products/dawn-dsc301717-32-undermount-kitchen-sink-dual-function-with-removable-di-prvw-vr~13380301?lid=4722424)by Dawn Kitchen & Bath Products. Click on the SKU to find the listing on HOUZZ. It comes with the acrylic divider.

• lestrudmary
    7 years ago

I don't recommend Silgranite sinks. I had a white one that stained immediately and wouldn't scrub clean with anything. Had to get rid of it. I didn't recall reading anywhere that they needed to be sealed prior to use.

• PRO
    Treefrog Design
    7 years ago

Depends entirely on your preference. A large single bowl sink is usually about 20" wide. The benefit on a single bowl large sink? You save space in a small kitchen and you can submerge a large roasting pan when washing dishes. I personally prefer a large single bowl to a double bowl sink because it allows me extra countertop for worksurface and cabinet space for storage. However, it depends how you like to work in your kitchen.

• PRO
    William Roy Designer Kitchens
    7 years ago
    One large unless you have no dishwasher is my personal preference.
  • Daven Rappaport
    6 years ago

We own several properties and when remodeling the kitchens we've been putting in Kraus stainless single bowl sinks. These are heavy duty, deep sinks that have soft curves that make them easy to clean. The photo doesn't show the metal grate that fits in the bottom of the sink, which prevents the bottom of the sink from getting banged up. The grate is included with the sink purchase.

I wouldn't put in a double sink, either for a rental or for our home. Why? Because the divider is simply in the way. We hand wash pots and pans and ovenware everyday. No way do the larger items fit into one side of a double. And if you have a porcelain sink, the divider is prone to getting chipped, because, well, it's always in the way! After meals, we rinse off the dinnerware and put them in the dishwasher. Frying pans and such get a squirt of dish soap (Palmolive Ultra Antibacterial Orange Dish Soap is our choice) and hot water. Let them soak for 30 minutes and then scrub clean. A temporary dish towel or two on the counter for them to dry on, and then back into the cupboard they go. Certainly a countertop dish rack is an option as well, although they get pretty cruddy with time. If there is one virtue about double sinks, it's the place to put a dish rack without having to deal with the plastic/rubber under pan.

When installing a new kitchen faucet, like shown in the photo, I'm now tightening them into place with the water handle facing to the front. This puts dripping wet hands over the sink when adjusting the handle and not to the side of the faucet, which causes wetting the counter area constantly. Much less hard water build up and crud on the granite counter to have to keep cleaning.

• irinacohn
    6 years ago
    I keep hearing the word dishpan. I thought a dishpan was a pot, but apparently it is something that you put on the bottom of the sink. What is a dishpan?
  • acm
    6 years ago

Sort of an oversized plastic tub that you use for containing the soapy water, e.g. Rather than resurrecting a four-year-old thread, you could try Google. Or Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Begale-Rectangular-Dishpan-Washing-Dishes/dp/B06Y4L42NF/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1506530856&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=dishpan&psc=1

• PRO
    DirectSinks
    6 years ago

The only dishpans I know of, is a bucket that people choose to use with their sink for soaking, or drying.

• irinacohn
    6 years ago
    Direct Sinks, Thank you so much for the photos. I never thought about soaking dishes in a dishpan. I didn't even know what a dishpan was.
  • PRO
    DirectSinks
    6 years ago

No problem! I only knew about it because my parents use one in their RV sink, to save on water while doing dishes.

• hildagabrielli
    5 years ago
    Hi all, I came across this thread whilst looking for opinions on single or double bowl sinks. So glad I did too!
    I'm in the middle of a kitchen revamp, (replacing countertops, cooktop, sink and ovens) but I am keeping the cabinetry so am limited to what will fit into a 600mm cupboard space.
    I currently have a 70/30 double bowl and only use the little one for rinsing and draining vegetables, as it's way too small for anything much else, so I wasn't too keen on replicating that....!
    The large single sink makes much more sense in my case, as I mainly wash large platters, frying pans, baking trays and roasting pans etc in the sink....things that don't fit or take up too much space in the dishwasher. It will be much easier to handle these items in a really large deep sink. And a dish bowl for smaller items is a great idea....very commonly used in the past.
    Reading everyone's input is just great because everyone has different work methods. I feel I can buy my big fat sink with confidence! Thanks all!
  • HU-417461122
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Considering

Blanco 441771 Cafe Brown Diamond 33-1/2" Silgranit Granite Composite Undermount Super Single Bowl Kitchen Sink

Single bowl but lots of space in the bowl and below the bowl too. Bowl depth 9 1/2 inches

Planning to have garbage disposal below the drain and use the left side (in the sink base cabinet) for a water filtration system.

• PRO
    DirectSinks
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Off center sink drains are increasingly in popularity. Just check the depth. I've noticed composite sinks tend to run shallower than those offered in stainless steel.

• HU-417461122
    5 years ago

Bowl Depth 9 1/2"

• ellen_kirby95
    2 years ago

We are moving to a new house and I am chosing a double bowl sink which I currently have. I have no problem washing pots and cookie sheets in my right side as I just turn them on their side to scrub. I put a dish drying rack on the left side and let thing dry there. The disposal is on the right side. I never have to dry things on the counter top.I can also rinse things and put them on the left side before putting them in the dishwasher. in case the dishwasher if full. Thus I much prefer the two bowl option.

• marilyn 1014
    2 years ago

ellen-kirby95
    I just ordered a kitchen sink yesterday for a kitchen update. I ordered a double bowl under mount Franke sink (Grande GDX12031). I’ve had a double bowl sink for 41 years and there are too many positives to this style for me. I like having the left side with disposal to rinse dishes, prep produce, water plants, wash pet dishes and hands. I need a sanitary place to hand wash large items and not interested in a dishpan. Putting a dripping wet dishpan somewhere to store is a bother. I always have the right sink clean for hand washing. I’ve got no problem tilting a large roaster on its side to wash. Believe me I debated my decision about not getting a single large basin. But, ultimately I went with what works for me! I’m glad to read your post!

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz