Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sfinning

Office...I know I want true navy blue. But the room doesn't get a lot

sfinning
10 years ago
Colors?? I know I want true navy. Decided on BM Hale Navy. Would like to paint the back of the built ins navy as well. Should I paint a different color below the chair rail. Should the trim be dove white? Help!

Comments (13)

• PRO
    EcoHome
    10 years ago
    !?
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Ooo, go for it. Above and below the chair rail navy, back of the built ins navy... chair rail same white as built ins.It will be lovely!
    Living room transformation · More Info

Aldine Avenue · More Info

Bachelor Pad · More Info
  • mmilos
    10 years ago
    dining room · More Info

I think the navy would look rich behind the bookshelves. Especially if you have some gold or brass pieces to put on the shelves.

I think for the walls, I'd look for a patterned wall paper that has navy in it. Or paint the walls a lighter color. Paint the wall below the chair rail navy or a lighter blue.
  • PRO
    purehome
    10 years ago
    Hi there!

I think what you have started so far is great! I love the idea of having the back of the book shelves navy and on the walls. The architectural details will pop very nicely. Indeed, I would keep all the trim white.

I found some visuals for you:

dining room · More Info

Vintage Modern Living · More Info

Hope these are helpful!

Warm regards,

Michelle C., IIDA
    Purehome.com
  • kcar66
    10 years ago
    I just used dove gray for trim & it will read an off white to a light gray depending on what color is next to it...it's a nice color.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Yes, trim would look great with white dove.

Leave the windows bare for more white.
    Ten June Dining Room · More Info
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    Since your casework has so much detail, to paint the area below the rail would require adding panel moldings and painting it glossy white like the trim. I don't think that will add a lot - so I agree that navy above and below is best. One note since I think you were about to mention that the room doesn't get a lot of light.

There are many navy shades that are "true" navy. You have selected one that is very black.
    If you want a navy that will read navy in the light that you have, you might want to test a few more colors. If you paint a foamcore board in several tester shades, you will be able to observe them in day and night lighting. This is critical, as the color that is best for you will be terrific in both night lighting and in daylight.

Here are the others that are true navy that I think might serve your purpose better in this space:
    1. bm old navy http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/oldnavy
    2. bm van duesen blue http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/vandeusenblue
    3. midnight navy (my personal favorite for a crisp dark bright tone) http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/midnightnavy
    4. bold blue http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/boldblue

Depending upon your light, some of these are going to read gray-blue, true navy to your eye, and so forth. Test several dark blues before you decide on the Hale . . . if your room doesn't get a lot of natural light, but you want a clear sense of navy when you walk in the room, the Hale is a bit murky a color for that. . .

Good Luck - and great choice. Navy is timeless and can be combined with so many things well.
  • PRO
    Mitchell Channon Design
    10 years ago
    Definitely paint the wall below the chair rail in Navy. I would paint the chair rail in Navy as well but all the other moldings in your white. This is a fresher, newer look for your wall. A contrasting white band around your room will add nothing to the proportions of your room. I like the Navy at the back of the bookcases as well although yo could consider a different color to the bookcases to serve as an accent in the room. If you paint it the same Navy it will tend to disappear. For subtle accents consider another shade of blue or green. For a more dramatic accent consider a hot pink or red.
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    I think you'll have enough breaks of white in the navy to pull it off.
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    Terrific progress - congrats on the instant style.
  • sfinning
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    And I did test a handful of navys. I ended exactly where I started; BM Stunning! Love it! Thank you so much for your detailed and great advice! I'm thrilled with the outcome! :)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Looking good! :-) Thanks for the update.
Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz