Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelly_castille

Coffee Table/End Table Refinish

Shelly Castille
10 years ago
What should I do about these end tables and coffee table? They are solid wood. Originally went with a southwest styled couch. Paint? If so, what color do you suggest? Or stain? We just moved into our newly built house. The 1st 2 pics were taken after finally find a rug we liked (no those are not toss pillows on the couch - those are my Aussies :) yes I plan to find pillows.) The last 2 pics were taken right after we moved in (before the rug).

Comments (36)

• PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Tables and wicker chair need to go away. A larger prettier area rug. and a larger maybe round or square coffee table would look better... limit all clutter. Better looking lamps would help (with personality).
  • ludacalder
    10 years ago
    I like your coffee and end table as is. I would suggest a much , much larger area rug with lighter color/ pop of color and different lamps. its a shame to paint such beautiful wood.
    Shelly Castille thanked ludacalder
  • designpolice
    10 years ago
    Your instinct that the tables don't go with the other furniture is right on. I suggest you get rid of the couch and recliner and join us in the 21st century. If you can't because you can't get your money back from the 80s a larger rug would help and color in a throw and pillows would distract from the "leather". I agree that new lamps and a big coffee table would help too. I know it's expensive but I think you're going in the wrong direction with this heavy brown look. If you get familiar with HOUZZ, they have millions of current looks for casual living. Sorry for the harsh but I've been there with a concept that just doesn't work anymore.
  • Margaret Bannerman
    10 years ago
    If you love the rug, and don't want to spend the money to replace the brown, then work around it by adding color. I do agree the rug is too small, both for the area, and for the scale of the couch. Hopefully, you can trade it for a larger one, or move it to a different space and opt for another larger one. I agree painting the coffee table a fun, bright color, getting some big, tall, "look at me", colored base lamps, lots of soft colorful pillows and spots of the same color on your bookcases. I'd personally use the turquoise as the primary color, and add in the gold.
    With the size of the leather sofas, you will need large, large statement pieces.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Designpolice- I don't know where you are shopping but all I run into is this style of furniture, it is alive in 2013. I know because my husband is continually picking this stuff out- MEN LIKE IT! I have not been able to find a comprimise with a few exceptions but then it comes with a huge price tag.

Shelly- I would just find some new tables unless these have some sentimenal value. There are so many fun ideas for tables such trunks and repurposed items to add a piece of glass on top.
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    Love your rug, but agree it should be larger. What about a glass top coffee table?
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Love the coffee table Liza suggested. Yes, the rug is too small, but you can get a much larger sisal rug to ground the space, and still use your "too small" rug. Here is a sisal under a "too small" rug. I like the rug too. Layered rugs look great.
    Home Farm 1 · More Info
    Shelly Castille thanked Darzy
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    How about staining the end tables and keep them, but get a new, larger coffee table. Table lamps (taller) with some color to the base would add some style and speak to the area rug.
    Calciano Teal Table Lamp · More Info

Angelica Blue Table Lamp · More Info
  • PRO
    EL INTERIOR DESIGN
    10 years ago
    My suggestions would be earthy colors with bigger table and area rug which will be highly recommended. However, I will suggest a bigger area and bigger table for better living. The room should have coherent design with warmer look. Therefore, we must introduce texture, color and new finishes such as wall paint or faux finish where, light fixture and accessories will complement overall look. Color is the most important factor to change interior space so the right choices will be directed by interesting and pleasant look. Simplicity in this particular space is the key.
  • designpolice
    10 years ago
    Margo C. It's not about what's in the stores, it's about what's in style. And plastic bloated-animal- looking furniture is not in style. Yes, some men like it because they've been sitting on it in their basement man caves since 1980 and it's so comfortable. Which is a whole new topic: men we love who want a say in decorating but have no sense of style. Remember Frasier's Dad's plaid recliner? I've seen so many couples struggle with this. She usually ends up compromising, as you're trying to do, and sacrifices the concept. Compromising is an important skill in a relationship. I'm not knocking it, but some of the men who are the most difficult are the ones whose only priority is comfort and are ignorant of design principles regarding color, fashion, proportion and balance, to name a few. They think it's unmanly to be concerned about it. This is not ALL men. Most who venture into redecorating their homes have taken the time to learn about it so they can make intelligent decisions. and they also listen to the professionals.
    I'd love to hear how others have dealt with this problem.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Designpolice- for the record, I am not saying this is *in style* but the stores would not be selling it if people weren't buying it. So, my guess is that there are not as many men out there becoming this saavy decorator as you seem to think;)
    As far as my comprimise, I refuse to buy the big bloaty stuff. It is a struggle but one day I will come across the right fit. My husband is not going to be enlightening himself with design style LOL one of us in the family is enough;)
  • Shelly Castille
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    First, let me thank you all for your responses. Your honest and frank responses are appreciated. However, we JUST built this house and moved into it in July. Some of the pictures were taken before I had even began unpacking as evidence by the boxes in the background. I'm still slowly unpacking (I work full time and its hard to get much accomplished on weekend.) So, with that said, yes I would LOVE to buy new furniture, but good gracious, building a house is expensive. And as for the leather furniture . . . did you happen to notice the dogs in the picture? Hence the leather furniture. I've had cloth and will never have it again. I choose to "live" with my dogs and they are allowed up on the couch to snuggle with us (although I draw the line at the bedroom). The house is in the country in West TX. Another reason for leather, concrete floors, etc. Dust, dust, dust. Thank you Darzy for suggesting a sisal rug underneath the other. I should have taken updated pics. I moved the rug out from under the couch after seeing it looked too small and centered it under the table. There is only about 3 ft of space between the outer edge of the rug and the front of the fireplace now and my husband is not anxious to put anything closer to the wood burning fireplace (yes I know it needs a grate/screen). And, new lamps are on the list of must haves. Would painting all the tables in the teal color be a bit much with teal color lamps? BTW, here is the color palette I picked to work with. I want to paint the walls the beige color.
  • Shelly Castille
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ludacalder - where did you find those lamps? I especially like the one with the honeycomb shade.
  • PRO
    Metal Fred
    10 years ago
    I really like Liz Janes suggestion of the weathered teal table. It would look great with your current rug. Maybe using at least one lamp on the table farthest from the wicker, with cream in the shade or base would pull in your cushion on the chair. Once you have time to unpack maybe you can pull all the colors from your pallet onto the shelves around the fireplace....they are great colors. When the shock of building wears off and if you decide to go with a bigger rug, it should be no problem to find something in your pallet. Baby steps.

ps. my husband is from the Odessa/Midland area, understand the dust issue :)
    Shelly Castille thanked Metal Fred
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    Yes too short- you need something at least 30". They are gorgeous though.
  • syncope
    10 years ago
    Shelley ... I applaud your desire to find that balance between form and function and for including your husband's reasonable concerns in the mix. That being said, my bet is that you know what you want in that room but you need some validation or motivation to do it. As for your initial question about the side tables, take a real close look at the color palette you've chosen; that golden pumpkin color may be the one you need for the tables but rather than paint, stain them with rich corresponding stain color. I agree, that tables and lamps in the turquoise are going to be too much of the same color. One other suggestion I would make, though you may have already done so, is to give the furniture some room to breathe. I realize you may feel you have to have a walkway in front of the fireplace but placing that wicker chair in front of the bookcases and another type of chair or perhaps a square pouf on the other side would allow some walk space without having everything touching each other. I think that would help to even make your room look larger and not have such a cramped feeling. Do let me stress this point, however, whatever you decide to do, make it yours. Be sure that you feel happy when you walk in the room and that you don't settle for less than what you truly love in whatever you select. Otherwise, the home you want to love, will become just the house where you live.
    Shelly Castille thanked syncope
  • Shelly Castille
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    rngp - you hit the nail on the head exactly in every way. I am looking for the validation I suppose. I'm struggling with indecision and worried I'll make a mistake - good grief I'm a perfectionist. So, I tend to do nothing, but stand and wring my hands. And yet . . . I was able to get this house built and I LOVE IT. There you have it. Once I get on the right track, I'm sure it will work out. The rug was my husband's pick. We love it. I had tried 3 different times with many different rugs - a disaster every time. I can't wait to get home to move furniture around. :) And, I'll take some updated pictures of the rug moved out and centered. Hoping to get to the paint store tomorrow to get paint for the walls as well. That will make a huge difference I'm sure. Love the idea of the pumpkin color stain for the tables. I love yellows, reds and oranges. The pumpkin color makes me feel happy!
  • Shelly Castille
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Maybe this will help give you all some perspective on the amount of space I have to work with. BTW, what do I do with the space on the left side between the coat closet and the corner? Right now, there is a bench sitting there, but it looks really forlorn sitting there.
  • Shelly Castille
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Just realized that the image is getting cropped here on this site. The entire room is 30 x 24.
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    Glad you like the pumpkin color- I like it better than a blue. I think it will look great in the space.
    Art of Transition-Living Room · More Info
    Living Room Fireplace · More Info
  • Catherine Giesige
    10 years ago
    Stain those tables Shelly :-)
  • syncope
    10 years ago
    Shelley - I love reds, yellows, and oranges too. In fact, my living room has just that. A large solid Chinese red armoire houses my television and other components; I have a leather sofa that is the color of coffee with cream (just the way I like my morning coffee). The sofa is not the shape of traditional leather sofas which, along with its color gives it a really cool vibe. I have an oversize chair and ottoman to one side of the fireplace in a small burgundy and gold rectangle pattern and opposite it, a very regal Edwardian chair in deep wood and cola-colored leather to the side of which I have stacked several different floor pillows and placed a wooden tray on top as the side table. In front of the sofa is another very long ottoman with an English tapestry look that includes griffons and unicorns. I've mixed in greens in several shades in a traditional round rug and other accessories in the room. I love round rugs because they make it so much easier to set up conversation areas.

My accessory pieces are quirky with a 6 foot bronze-colored bird cage that reminds me of the Taj Mahal and a copper washed pewter lamp featuring elephant heads and crystals. I have alternated panels of burgundy and gold sheers (these have little crystals sewn in them) for my window curtains and the overall look feels warm, fun, cozy and comfortable. The closest I can come to a design style is to call it British Colonial India but my daughter says it looks like an eccentric English study...I won't argue with that...:) I have also thrown a few small punches of peacock blue in very strategic places just to contrast with all the earthy tones.

I guess I'm telling you this to say ... don't try to make your home look like what you see in a magazine...make it about you and your family. Your home should be a reflection of the personalities within the framework...not a reflection of the times or the trends or anyone else's concept of what you should do. What sparked this treatise was your question regarding the area by your closet. There are so many possibilities but the real answer is how will you want to use it and how does your family live? If you're a wine drinker, that could be a great spot for a wine buffet but maybe that doesn't fit in your lifestyle. Analyze your family's use of the space and then go from there. You could easily put a nice buffet, console or sofa table there with some fantastic art over it or it could be a wall of family pictures, maybe in black and white or sepia tones. If you love plants, it could be living plant wall or maybe you'd like an indoor fountain or maybe a really cool aquarium. As you see, it's all in the way YOU want to use it. It's your house; you built it; and you and your family will be what makes it your home.
    Shelly Castille thanked syncope
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    A large jute rug under the smaller one will solve the size problem and make the rug you love a focal point. I think the tables would look great in a bluish green, though I painted one a rusty orange for variety. And I mixed up the lamps a bit, using one from Darzy above along with another in gold. A couple of pillows to tie it together...and I don't even think you need to paint.
  • Shelly Castille
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Groveraxle YOU ARE FANTASTIC!! I saw some of the work you did on the record setting thread you did for Rhonda. I thank you thank you for your precious time and doing what you did. NOW I can see how it would look (you may have guessed - I have zero vision about these things). LOVE the rug under the others. And the tables look kinda neat painted! :) I'll take updated pictures tonight - I have bought a new back cushion for the wicker chair in front.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Stain, no paint. The teal in rug. Add same color to pillows in a print to sofa. Love your dog.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Rug should be bigger. At any rate pull out 12" from front of sofa. 6 x9 would have been better.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I agree about stain, not paint. Take a look at the color called Chesapeake by Cabot: http://www.cabotstain.com/colors-and-finishes/families/Semi-Transparent-Colors.html
  • Shelly Castille
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Took some pictures tonight - moved the wicker chair. Please ignore the mess and the dogs which wanted their dinner and wouldn't leave me alone! (silly puppies.) :) Oh, and the baskets, etc. on the fireplace are not staying . . . most of the stuff on the bookcases/fireplace is not staying. I simply unpacked and threw stuff up there for now.
  • Shelly Castille
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Pictures I took tonight. Please ignore the mess. The stuff on the fireplace/bookcases is not staying . . . just slung it there while unpacking. But, haven't had time to buy replacements. Oh and the darn dogs wanted their supper and wouldn't get out of the way! (Silly puppies!). Moved the chair over by the bookcases. Took a pic of the cushion I bought for it.
  • Shelly Castille
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    More pictures.
  • Susie Bell
    10 years ago
    I agree that staining will work better than paint, and you can stain them a color. This option is permanent, but the tables look so pale in comparison to the palette you have chosen. If you cannot afford a new rug, pull this one out and away from the sofa. If you can't afford new lamps, put this one on a stack of large books. Otherwise, folks have given you lots of options. I would like to see you add a throw on the sofa, but that's my taste.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    If you're going to keep the TV above the fireplace (and that looks like the best place), remove everything from the mantel and leave it bare.
  • Shelly Castille
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    FTR, the tables are almost 20 yrs old, so I don't have any heartburn about refinishing them.
  • ahelton142
    10 years ago
    I do like the green at the first if the thread or antique cream with a black glaze