a_rainbow

Master Bedroom Blues

a_rainbow
September 26, 2013
Literally... It's the last space in our house to complete. Saying much more then i need but it might help?

We did rest of house and decided to get everywhere complete and livable and 100% functional and share infant daughters bedroom which puts us next to sons room so really it was a good plan. I designed kids bath to have a double sink room next to toilet and tub so it's really been just fine! But we are planning for baby #3! I need time to rest before XY comes!

However, we have most everything we need... Plan is set, shower base installed, tub frame box installed toilet room in place and all rough ins are done. Doors roughed in etc... Room as say idle for 2 years while we used as a work room to build other house related projects.

The only thing we don't have purchased is two sinks and our vanity, may it be one long or 2 single and then wall tiles. There are other minor items like lights and towel bars... Our whole house I accented with Alaskan birch. Locally grown and milled. Doors are Lynden solid doors with birch veneer. I'm saying more then I need but i say that bc closet wall I have planned to finish in birch ply so that whole wall will read as birch. The three double doors take up so much of that wall and i thought it would be a great way to finish it off. The 3d renderings are rough and old as I played with ideas a couple years ago and I don't plan on doing necessarily what's pictured. ... I don't know what vanity will be. But it's location is permanent.

Floor tiles and carpet are same as other spaces in house...light gray tile and medium gray carpet.

We made our own sliding door system with strut and pulleys. I remember cleaning the strut... Ha!! There are two walls with a void for doors to slide into. We have bumpers hidden in there. Bath side is wet wall.

Anyway...

I mostly did the interior finish choices and if i really thought hubby would want a say I would ask. Kitchen / living room is for example accented in red bc he wanted it. I asked him what he wanted for master... We literally have nothing much to do this winter for house and in freezing months we can't go outside. It's a "no money" project for a while bc we have most everything!

Hubby said blue. Which blue.... Not navy he said... He headed towards royal but I think he will regret that color and i dont really want royal blue. But I'm stuck on which blue?!? And where?

You can see how I designed the shower and bathroom to read together in that big blue box. That's how it actually looks minus color...

Again what I have pictured in 3d in terms if color placement, choice, and other wall finishes is totally open to suggestion! The permanent comes with window placement and walls and fixtures bc it's all roughed in taped and mudded.

House is all contemporary. Random uses of bold colors and strong lines and geometric shapes.

All bathroom shower is kohler purist. Sink faucets are single handle kohler purist. Tub handles are as well and tub spout is that fancy smanc

• karemore55
    I'm not sure I completely understand what you're asking, but I think you are just looking for a bedroom wall color? And possibly bathroom walls? And, from what I gather, you have finished one wall in your bedroom with light birch panelling?

So, if I have it right, why don't you run with the navy or cobalt blue idea, but in your bedding? Then a very warm, chalky white on bedroom walls. I'm thinking that you wouldn't want your wall color to compete with the birch, so why not let birch panelling stand as the focal point as far as walls go? The bed and bedding, however, are usually the true focal point in the room so, since you like bold accent colors like red elsewhere in your home, the dark blue would be a nice complement to those colors. And for the bathroom wall, assuming you need a color in there, how about a pale dusty blue, again to complement the birch, but in here white wouldn't look so good because of the white fixtures. Some ideas to play around with.
  • karemore55
    More ideas - also artwork that would really connect with the birch!
  • a_rainbow
    Thank you karemore :-)
    Yes I wrote a lot but it was to give houzzers as good of a visual as I could! The closet wall i plan to be birch plywd sheets but they aren't yet! But doors are 5 feet width if birch so I was standing in there a few months ago and thought oh!! Why not do entire wall birch!! Birch accents run thru house so it could be really pretty! Birch is my constant i guess....as is style of course. My house is white, with random bold colors, and birch trim and doors to give it that warm touch. I am contemporary but I brought the warmth in with wood tones. Kitchen and living floor are a carbonized bamboo which really bring out the heartwood in the birch. I love it.

Hubby requested blue. I had totally thought about bedding that incorporates our blue, but I think the struggle is bath side. I found kids bedding from Dwell and painted their accent with a color from that. ideally, id do the same. but paint will be coming before bedding unfortunately. Cabinets will be a light wood to mimic birch... Maple probably. Tub, sinks, and shower base are white. I have zero wall tiles picked out and I have to have for shower walls and I need tile for tub surround. Also, I have tub window walls...

I want blue for hubby but not sure where in bathroom I should incorporate? Tiles on Mirror wall? Or just backsplash with white paint? White wall for mirror wall with blue tile backsplash? For kids bath I have a mosaic blend that I framed around the mirrors and its fun! But I want to try something new everywhere :-)

As you can see, i have basically unlimited options here with the exceptions of already purchased.

Blues and where in bathroom? Tile? Paint?

It will be a work in progress as we do everything ourselves. Budget is unknown as I am a wise shopper ;-) and have trades accounts in many places. I have a degree in architecture. Worked for a few years but having my beautiful babies made it difficult. But I had more time to plan for my house and find the deals for what I wanted. So I will find a way without sacrificing quality. :-)

Thank you :-)
  • a_rainbow
    Karemore, that headboard blue is great. Not to wow bright bold where I can't shut my eyes, but not too dark. I have an idea book of blues I have found this far. Am I on the right track?

But again, it doesn't have to be paint... I have tile work to do as well.

I also like the first bedding if your second post!
  • a_rainbow
    To help, here is kiddo bathroom upstairs we all share. Tile blend from modwalls :-)

Whole house is like this. Tile on the floor is same as laundry floor and master bedroom. Not installed in master but purchased. Trim runs thru house. Very simple. Hardwood joint cut birch to size I requested and father in law routered an 1/8" edge on top and we sprayed the clear finish :-)
  • a_rainbow
    And that painting? You should see my office / spare / multi use room upstairs. Slightly incomplete as I don't have casework or shelving bc I want to do master next, but its accent is a lime like green! I see that painting in office!
  • a_rainbow
    I don't have counters yet. In house we purchased solid surface sheets from solid surface.com and forwarded them up. It's light grey everywhere in laundry and powder and bath upstairs. By lg Himacs. Kitchen island is red silestone, and rest if kitchen is a dark grey avonite brand with darker rock speckles. I could do the light grey lg Himacs or.. Maybe counter is a blue... Hmmm
  • karemore55
    Hi Bauer, So are you saying you would like to go bold in ensuite bathroom too? Kind of like the family bathroom?. Or do you want your ensuite to be a little more serene? Because there's BLUE, as in pic one, and then there's blue, as in pic two. Also, here are a couple more blue wall colors - BM Palladian Blue (which I have in my own baths) and Tranquility. With grey countertops and light birch, my vision for your bathroom is to go serene. But if hubby (and you) are OK with bold, even in the ensuite, then you should use the tiles to make the bold statement and stick with white for wall color. You will have the birch as your constant between bedroom and ensuite, so bold blue in bedroom and serene blue in bathroom would work.
  • a_rainbow
    I am totally fine with diff blues :-) they just can't have any green in them.

I dont know if its so much the bold? It's the amount of white with a sudden pop of color I'm attracted to. It does need to have some amount of contrast I guess :-)

I could do bold in bedroom and serene for sure. I think that's why I was advising hubby against not continuing the bold red into master bc I wanted something that was more serene for bed!

A skate blue, or a blue with grey tone in it could be a happy medium as long as it contrasted with white, which it will.

So going with a bold bedroom and serene bath is option, if I find the right pair of blues! You have mentioned some worth looking at!

Counters, tile, paint on bath side (I think I will let bedding take over rather then paint on bed side as you stated and let birch wall also shine) are all up in the air. Tile pattern in walls or just keeping it same all the way up? Tub surround? Solid or pattern?

I used to have a lot if time but I homeschool now and skating lessons and awanas and typical everyday chores I just can't find time to sit and focus. I've gotten our entire house this far! But this is parents domain and a really important space. I don't want to mess up. It's almost a blank skate! (Almost haha)

Thank you for your time Karenmore and ill take any more thoughts you have about the spaces.
  • karemore55
    I hope some others offer their suggestions and ideas too! All you got from me was serene lol, but that's just my preference.
    BM Metallic Silver…highlight with a darker blue. You need gray in the blue to balance the reds.

Point Grey Residence · More Info
  • a_rainbow
    I like those blues. To be clear, the red accent is in a different room entirely. The only thing we know for sure is there will be white walls and birch wood accents and accent blue but the big question is what blue for bath and how will i incorporate it! Counters? wall tile? paint?
  • a_rainbow
    What about tile? Shape? Size? Color?

I have the tub surround box, shower walls, and not sure if I should put it on ceiling and carry around toilet room? Or do I paint to match tile? Will I regret that? I want it to look like a big box ... More costly for tile around it all but I don't want to regret that...

Here is the floor tile in 12x12 light smoke
    http://americanolean.com/series.cfm?series=157

What for counters? I can just match the counters to everywhere else like in picture of kids bathroom above? Tile backsplash? Mirror sizes?

• a_rainbow
    And my tub window frames are white with like an 8-9" sill.
  • karemore55
    Bauer, I just looked at your grey floor tiles, and there's a other tile color there - Bimini blue - that is shown on the inspiration pic on the website. The Bimini blue is on the walls in a kind of color blocked effect. Wonder if you could adapt this look to your own bathroom and do some of the Bimini blue, say, for the tub surround, then switch to white for shower tile with a band of the blue 3/4 of the way up, or in a vertical strip on one of the shower walls, or...? The walls in the inspiration pic look like a pale yellow or very creamy white, which would warm things up, as well as speak to the yellow tones of the birch. I'm slowly catching onto your modern leanings (should have known - you're an architect!) , and I'm probably a bit far out of my comfort zone (think Pottery Barn look), but I'm willing to give feedback if you want to continue bouncing ideas out there. And, who knows, maybe a Houzzer with more modern tastes will jump in and help!

One more thing - I wonder if you're overthinking it al a bit? You've done so well in other areas, it seems like it should be a very organic process for you.
    sstarr93
    I'm not understanding what the question is... simply tile and paint?
    Have you purchased materials for your bathroom yet? Trying to understand, because your layout doesn't resemble your Sketchup (very much).
  • a_rainbow
    @karemore
    I wish I could say I'm an architect without feeling guilty. I have a degree in architecture but never licensed bc I was 5 years into internship when I became pregnant. I have a lot if experience and have designed three homes for family and do orher design projects for reno projects fir friends and family. We have a lot of family on both sides who come to me for design related projects. I could play with floor plans all day!!! I guess I'm more if a freelancer and license isn't required to do work for people and even though they all call me an architect, I always feel the need to correct them :-( I research a ton and really know quite a bit. I've also helped build my house and wire and plumb and taped and mudded... Hubby is electrician so I learn there. Anyway...

I don't really know what I am!!!

I do know that I want this master to look really modern and do t want to do something ill regret. I just felt like I should as the pros...
  • a_rainbow
    Here you go. This is how it looks. It's been a work room to build railing and do all clear coat spraying or any spraying and any other project...

1- from entry door on bedroom side

2- three closets

3- looking at toilet door on right and shower on left (big blue box on color rendering)

4- wet wall sink side opposite bed side
  • a_rainbow
    1- shower base has a teak wood drain :-) its kohler

2- tub surround for jacuzzi huge tub. It's 36 x 72". Access panel is from crawl space under.

3- Strut system for sliding doors.

4- shower sprayers etc..

The toilet door and sprayer wall can actually be something different bc it reads as an inner mass.
  • a_rainbow
    Showing how shower walls wrap around toilet door wall and shower sprayer wall.

My #4 pics didnt come thru...
  • a_rainbow
    @star

It really is as simple as tile help. Hubby requested blue for master. I have some in my blue idea book and hubby approved! No baby blues or blues with green.

Floor tile is purchased bc we bought it with all the tile all at once and least waste this way. Laundry and powder room and kids bath is the same.

I'd like something darker though somewhere... Perhaps the back wall for shower and above tub are a large dark grey tile maybe large subway? And there is a tile niche we just need to cut in. I could make the back of niche the blue... And the toilet door wall/shower sprayer "block" same as niche? Wrap rest of shower in white... And then bring blue back in on tub surround somehow... Hubby loves the blue counters in my idea book perhaps a silestone blue like kitchen red and then everything else white white white! Birch doors and trim... Blue bedding and voila??
    sstarr93
    Love the pics!
    You are INDEED an architect, no self-doubt allowed!

I have a very modern aesthetic, and so appreciate what you're doing. I really like the kids' bathroom, the orange, the modwall mix and how you used it. Like artwork around the mirrors, very nice!
    Are those Brizo sconces? Toobi faucets?
    Really like (also) the teak drain, that is very cool. Like a boat.

I do a number of things, including Sketchup, which prompted my question. (see my profile)..
    Looking forward to seeing what you do with this space!
    S*
    sstarr93
    I got very interested in Slimtech from Lea Ceramiche, an engineered, laminated, very large-format file which comes thin(3.5mm) and thinner for wall applications(3mm). I'm thinking of using it for my own master bath, but would need to educate the tile person in the technique (which LEA provides). I have samples and am very impressed.
    http://www.ceramichelea.it/acm-on-line/en/Home/slimtech/collections.html

Also in the Slimtech line, they make one called Wave Blue, which comes out looking like an ombre mosaic, pretty cool.
    a_rainbow thanked sstarr93
  • a_rainbow
    Thank you star! im less confused now about my iccupation. a guy stopped off once to sell meat in the area and i was in my mommy comfy clothes holding my son who was a baby at the time, and he asked if i knew the designer if the house (swapping shed roofs ... i posted on our summer progress so you might be able to find it) but I was so embarrassed. My hair was up in a messy pony tail with sweatpants and hoodie as I said..."I do know... It was me". So embarrassed! He went on saying they bought land and are contemporary and wanted to know if I had a book of plans, which I don't. Just a file in my computer of custom ones for family and friends. Anyway...he said he'd like to come back to me when ready. Even after that, I am confused as to my status in the field. But thank you for saying that! I won't feel as guilty now!

I think I'll update all my interior elevations and callout what I was thinking and perhaps see if anyone can edit? See what you would do diff? I just want to place the blue in proper spots and but make sure it's spread out enough and get some tile suggestions.

The plan is set as all is roughed in. My "interior architecture" is set since all walls taped and mudded and I still like my initial thoughts (thank goodness) been sitting idle now for 2 years just getting messier.

But I can draw up and throw some color in perhaps and then get some feedback?
    sstarr93
    Absolutely! ;-)
  • a_rainbow
    @star
    Wow that's really pretty! I am checking it out now. Talk about serene... What better then wave blue! Curious as to how I get to fairbanks with it not being dust by the time it gets here! Haha

I love samples. I have my own library in my own home on accident. I can't get myself to dispose if them in case I can share with others! I might need to devote a section in the garage for samples!
    sstarr93
    As in Alaska?
    The stuff is very very strong (because of their lamination technique). That's why they can make it so thin.
    The floor version has a base layer of fiberglass netting for reinforcement; it's strong enough for commercial applications.
    a_rainbow thanked sstarr93
  • a_rainbow
    As in Alaska. Yeah it's cold today :-) Sporting sweatpants and a hoodie again. HAHA! Not expecting visitors but you never know!

Wow! I plan to look more into it. I want to see more about the sizes etc and install. I am always open to adding more options/finishes to my knowledge base. I learn something new everyday!
  • karemore55
    Sstar93, I'm so glad you stepped in. I was feeling pretty inadequate once I realized baumer's aesthetic was modern. So I will just quietly bow out:)
    sstarr93
    karemore55, I really like your aesthetic, and always read your comments with extreme interest! IMO you have fantastic taste. S*
  • karemore55
    You have no idea how much that means to me xxoo!
    sstarr93
    ditto! ;-)
  • a_rainbow
    To both star and karemore

I read BOTH of your comments on many discussions. You two both see the dilemmas you comment on all the way through! I was thrilled to see both of you guys comment on this! I am addicted to houzz. I read dilemmas at night snuggling babies to bed. Star, i love how you exhaust every plan option. Tho it may not be what you would pick, they are all still functional and may be what the client wants and needs! They need to see all options! I'm like you. I designed a master bath for a cousin and I had 4 options. I had my favorite, but she picked a diff one, which was still full of potential and 100% functional and was what she wanted. Karemore, you are the same with space planning. You exhaust all options. I think it's great how much you guys offer help. I've thrown in a few things, but I find what I offer has already been said :-( I'm too late usually. There are quite a few other houzzers like you both (LB interiors!) but since you are both here, I'll thank you both :-)

I have some renderings in the works to get some feed back. I hope to post soon!
    sstarr93
    Wow thanks so much Baumer!! I'm on a business trip so pls forgive the phone typing...
    Will be on later & look forward to your drawings.! S*
    OnePlan
    Hi ! What a lovely thread !! So many like minded people !! Great to read !! I just wanted to add a little idea, just to throw something into the mix ... But I think you have everything covered !! ... Maybe add a log burner for cosy nights in ! ( that might lead to baby #4&5 !!) :-)
  • a_rainbow
    Actually oneplan, you are another commenter I enjoy reading. I know a lot through researching everything but I also have so much more to learn! I learn a lot on houzz!

I am glad you joined in! We haven't quite covered it all. lovely comments so far but am going to post a rending or 2 or 3 of some of my own thoughts for this space ASAP and then hope for more feedback on what I could do diff to make it better!

:-) thanks!
  • a_rainbow
    There are so many great contributors!!! It really is a fantastic site!!!