Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mazefskydp

What countertop to use for this floor, backsplash and cabinet? Floor w

Diane Mazefsky
10 years ago
Floor was to be brown; hardwood floors next to it will be dark brown. There will be grays, though, visible , as fireplace on other side of wall is gray stone.

Comments (28)

• Diane Mazefsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It is a very " Frank Lloyd Wright" style home, next to one of his. I never liked these but then decided the rectangles and tones were great in the space. However, I agree- ....what would you suggest?
  • Diane Mazefsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I just noticed that it cut part of what I wrote. The floor keeps changing tones in various lights. It looked brown in the store and at first in the house.... but with various intense light it turns gray/green/black.
  • PRO
    Berno Design Co.
    10 years ago
    Last image - third from the left. Nice contrast with the floor. I think the others are too close to the floor color and the lightest looks like concrete and a bit too light.
  • gillianlf
    10 years ago
    Are you planning to have under counter lighting because the quality of that light will affect the appearance as well. I agree with livindoll on the backsplash being dated, and if you don't like it then you shouldn't be put it in. I like the brown and grey color scheme but maybe their is a less dating option for the backsplash out there. I'm not sure any of the counter options work I was tending towards the 3rd from left because the need for a contrast to the floor, but I actually think you might want to rethink the color scheme; you don't need to feel locked in when everything you are committed to so far is neutral.
  • Diane Mazefsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Can people suggest other backsplash and countertop options for the light maple cabinets and the floor that changes from brown to gray/ black/ blue- greenish in different light? Thanks! Another option I considered was a white/ cream marble with a gray or cream vein.
  • Diane Mazefsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I could do a color in a subway tile- had considered that. Got lost when the floor tile was installed and then changed tones. Expected it to look dark brown.
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    I think the materials you've chosen look good with your cabinets. While I agree that the long thin mosaics have been overused, the one you've chosen has a subtle color palette and is quite attractive (many of that style are too high contrast and busy for my taste). And I like the tones with your cabinetry and floor. So I guess what I'm saying is that I think what you've chosen will look nice with one of the darker countertop materials you are considering, but don't choose it because it is popular, only if you really love it and will enjoy it for years even when backsplash styles change.
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    I would choose 2nd from left on last pic .. the "marbled" medium gray.
  • Diane Mazefsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you. My approach is about making the space flow with the Frank Lloyd Wright feel if the house in the woods - and a zen simplicity overall . For me, though I understand "trends" and the excitement of changing design, I am not interested in what is current, dated, etc. in my choices. I do want them to flow well together and enhance the setting. There is a historical FLW house next door , and mine, set against an axing park(Frick Park) that is like a virgin forest on the edge of the city. I have installed big windows everywhere to see the woods and the simple woodsy property all around. It is a fairly simple open space. The kitchen and other rooms flow into each other and the elements are visible from all spots on this level. So the kitchen materials are digital to the rest. I do like the backsplash, and was surprised to be using this style as I was not "into" all the glass patterns everywhere. But this one looks like a FLW window or design, and there are repeated rectangles throughout the space. So I will stay with the backsplash. The colors are the subtle paint shades I will use as accents( softer lighter tones of the shades in the backsplash. Despite the overuse if busy glass tile patterns, this one looks like it was made for the space. So now I just need to figure out the right countertop. Thanks for your feedback- it really helped me define what I want. Now- countertop feedback would continue to be helpful !! Thak you all!
  • Diane Mazefsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Another new rectangular window
  • Diane Mazefsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Many autocorrect mistakes in what I wrote above but hopefully you get the general idea;) - thanks for your help. The comments have been so helpful in my process. I've never had the opportunity to create a new kitchen or house before!
  • Diane Mazefsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Feeny- tried to click so I could look at your page and follow you but can't get it to work.
  • Diane Mazefsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What I love most is a simple marble but the white with gray may be too stark and the cream with a bit of gold may be too yellow - that's how I ended up at brown/ grays. There is a gray stone original fireplace on the other side of the kitchen that I am keeping.
  • PRO
    Perth Interiors
    10 years ago
    Have you considered polished concrete?
  • Diane Mazefsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Fireplace
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    That's very sweet, Diane. I'm not a professional, just an amateur with years of experience thinking out my own design projects. So I've disabled the "followers" option in my profile. But you should be able to get to my page and look at my (obsessive number of) ideabooks. BTW, I'm a big fan of FLW and Craftsman house and furniture designs more generally, and my own house is filled with Arts and Crafts movement furniture and pottery. All of which is to say I like your rationale and think your choices so far, and the reasoning behind them, make sense.
  • Diane Mazefsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That was actually my first choice! I think the amazon silestone is a way to get that look- it is one of the samples above. Haven't been able to find an experienced concrete person at a reasonable price. I could revisit that.
  • PRO
    Perth Interiors
    10 years ago
    Yes, it is very close. I think either way, it will great with all your other choices. I think your home is going to be beautiful when it's finished. Love it so far.
    Diane Mazefsky thanked Perth Interiors
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    10 years ago
    You might want to consider a 2"-3" stained concrete counter top or leathered granite

Los Altos Kitchen · More Info
  • Diane Mazefsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I love the same combination , Feeny, and like being an eclectic amateur. I appreciate your comments and that kind if site is my favorite- people playing with their individual likes and sensibilities . I will try to find yours. I have one too under my name. There is a guy through Etsy that makes industrial and rustic / craftsman-feeling-and midcetury and eclectic restored pieces of furniture you might enjoy. I WILL PIST HIS NAME HERE LAYER. Can you check outta floor stain question on here too?
  • PRO
    Farha Syed Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Hello Diane - I like the second from the left. And subway tiles for the back splash. Quartz counter tops by Caesarstone. Or if you go with Lowes - The Allen Roth Grand Pacific Nutmeg. It has the gray tones. And with that counter top I would go with off-white back splash to neutralize it all. I have a picture of it on my phone and I am looking at your floors against that. It will work really nicely since it has all the colors that your floors and fireplace surround have.
  • PRO
    Farha Syed Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Hope that helps
  • PRO
    VC Studio Inc.
    10 years ago
    Concrete is a really great choice for counters.

Nothing will give you more options.
    You can have almost any color. It can be stained or have exposed glass or stone aggregate. Trivets and drainboards can be cast in.
    You are not tied to the standard thickness of slab products. Many clients now are asking for 3" edges. This gives a sense of mass without being overbearing. Since the field is still cast at only 3/4" to 1" thick this does not add to the weight by much. Ultra modern super thin slabs can be cast at 3/4" to 1/2".
    You can create any shape with concrete as well. Concrete really shines with a smooth radius or organic curve. You should see what some of us have been up to with fabric forming :-)

Concrete is not a commodity like slabs of granite or quartz. It is an artisan crafted product. It is labor intensive. Because of this it is not a low budget item. It is still very competitive with the costs of other solid surfaces. Its benefits can outweigh the costs in most situations.

If you would like to tell me where you live (just a zip code/town) I can check to see who might be in your area.

Regards,
    Vincent Cathcart
    VC Studio Inc.\
    vince@vcstudioinc.com
    Diane Mazefsky thanked VC Studio Inc.
  • Diane Mazefsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What about a whole different thing- a white marble with subtle gray veining?
  • Diane Mazefsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The issue is that although the floor looks brown in these photos, it changes to silver/gray/greenish in various lights.
  • PRO
    Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Hi Diane -- Your floor tile looks like one we've done some beautiful work with ourselves. It's a wet-look porcelain that shifts colors as you move, dark and richly irridescent. I think it is a prize. Once you're past your initial dismay at its changing color display, I think you could make it a real positive in your room. After reading your posts above, here are some thoughts and suggestions:

Stain your the floor tile grout a good bit darker than it is. Aim for dark charcoal-brown grout color, but not black. You want to enjoy the floor's deep melded color shifts. Sadly for me, your present light grout distractingly interrupts this texture.

Be careful of too light a countertop. I think it needs to be quite deep colored, to visually anchor down your light maple cabinets as they sit on this dark floor. I would use a black granite with a bit of sparkle to it, and just a very little brown ...I think maybe India Black Pearl?

Then, with your FLW theme in mind, create your own random pattern geometric backsplash. Unless I am mistaken, your floor tile is color-body porcelain, which works nicely to cut into smaller pieces. Choose four additional color body porcelain tiles that present very mildly patterned faces, in colors present elsewhere nearby -- in your walls, your tile floor's various hues - browns, olives, grey-blues, burnt orange. (Perhaps Crossville Color Blox?). Cut all five of these elements into four sizes - 2 x 2, 2 x 4, 4 x 4, and 4 x 8 - and have fun creating your own unique multi-colored splash that...
    -- let's your iridescent floor tile show up again, and celebrates its color play among your various chosen colors.
    -- brings some needed color variety into the room at its mid-level. Your deep floor and counter, with your very mildly grained and colored maple wood just ask for some some color pop.
    --gives you an opportunity to stretch your FLW craftsman-style design muscles.

If the dark granite doesn't fly with you, I think the Silestone Amazon Grey is the best alternative choice - neutral color, mild pattern. Be careful, though, about getting the leather finish on this. Very nice soft look, but its finely rough, very hard texture actually abrades soft metal pans - copper, aluminum - leaving what looks like scratches in the quartz, but are actually trails of your panmetal left behind. ...hard to get out.

A long two cents from Mark. Have fun!
    Diane Mazefsky thanked Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
  • Diane Mazefsky
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is very helpful, Mark. I agree about the grout. I will look into the granite and Crossville choices.