Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtroe96793

What color to paint my small 6 x 8' bathroom (all peach)?

Melissa
10 years ago
My hallway bathroom has a peach vanity, toilet, & tub/shower, as well as peachy ceramic tile. It has no natural light/windows. I would like the peach items not to stand out.
Was thinking of painting the walls same color peach( as vanity, toilet, shower) to make them blend in, but not sure if this will work or is the best decorating option!

Comments (87)

• lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Which of the samples are you liking the most? What are the paint names?
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Put up a gray and black shower curtain up to hide shower. Change out light fixtures brush nickel . And Also faucets. To update room. Gold, brass so dated.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Lowes has very inexpensive light fixture. Getting rid of the gold. Will help update the room.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I would paint the vanity in a high gloss peach to match the toilet and sink and then paint the walls BM Van Buren Brown
    Sea Shell Canvas Art By One Design · More Info
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I think these sample colors might be too dark? I am using home depots Behr paint? So confused.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Mtroe, Yes I was worried when I saw those sample colors on your wall. Not only did they look a bit dark, but they appeared too gold to me (at least, on my screen they did). I went to Behr site and found Nutty Beige PWL 86. It is lighter than your samples, and has orange undertones, so it may work. When you go back to the paint store, find this color on the board and grab other paint chips from the general area of orangey-beiges.

Are you sure you don't want to try grey? I'm feeling nervous about going the beige/brown route.
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Karen & Lessismore & all -Thank u again for your comments/help!
    I wonder now about going with the grey? I will try the beige that was suggested also!

Regarding the grey for walls, I really do not want to paint the vanity at this time. I really liked Lessismore picture of the tan background with the violet, reds, rust colors. However, I am worried about the mirror because it is another project I don't have a lot of time for right now, I am so confused!

the Behr colors are (from top to bottom (above toilet)):
    Cliff rock 290f
    Burnt almond 250f-4
    Peanut butter 270f-4
    Stone brown 250f-4

They didn't look so dark on the chips, so glad I got samples! My mom comes to visit in 3wks so I have to get myself moving...thanks again :)
  • cindyguent
    10 years ago
    Anyone out there, if using iPad, how do take pic posted on houzz and move it to sherwin Williams site to "try on" colors?
  • cindyguent
    10 years ago
    Is the mirror a medicine cabinet and do you need to use it? If not, just remove and replace with an inexpensive mirror already framed from tj maxx or almost anywhere. I've done that in a powder room before. Really updated my room and cost less than $30!
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Because this is an interior bathroom with no exterior lighting, whatever you choose at least will be "stable" and not change color, except for how you accessorize it. The thing is, in the pix, the peach tones change from almost beige to almost pink, so it's very hard to recommend anything exactly. When you look at the chips in the store, make sure you have them under artifical lighting, not outdoor or outdoor simulated. What you have and what all of us sees, probably has huge variations. That said, I think the Peanut Butter (based on what I see from the Behr site samples) seem to me to give the most reduced contrast, or less emphasis, on the "peach." And I think that is what you are after - getting the PinkyPeachy tones to recede more, right? . A gray or even a grayish brown, might make a stronger contrast with the peach. Not that a peach/gray palette is bad, I just want you to have a close to what you want. There are gorgeous palettes out there with peach and any number of complimenting and contrasting colors. I don't know if you even remember the "Southwest" palettes of the 80-90s that were so popular - while they are out of vogue now, a little peach was very, very popular!
    I also think you will need to paint bigger, more isolated swatches. You are comparing the colors to the peach, and not to each other. I know, more work-work-work :-(. Here are some versions of what you are working with with a capture from your fixtures for comparison in its most peachy-pink version.
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Some contrasting palettes on the gray vs. brown to consider
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    You said you wanted to keep the vanity brown as well, but in the first "browner" palette above, they have a charcoal gray which might look great on the vanity, which ever direction you choose.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Cindyguent, if you take a screen shot of the pic, then when you go to S-S app, you click on "Match A Photo" which will take you to your photo stream (or camera roll) and then you can retrieve it. I have had limited success "painting" with S-W app because I can't figure out how to access specific paint colors on it. So if you can figure out that part, please let me know!
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Lessismore, I agree with and understand what you're saying, except for the part about finding a brown that will de-peach the color of the fixtures. I would think that funding a beige or brown that goes into orange as it's deepest base would actually be the way to go. Not a rocket scientist when it comes to color, but my reasoning is that using any base BUT an orange one will only provide contrast and therefore highlight the peach. But correct me if I'm wrong.

The reason I'm thinking grey is because my last kitchen had light maple cabinets and pinkish countertops, flooring and a bit of it in backsplash even. I did this kitchen in the 90's, obviously! When I decided the pink was "out", I painted the walls a med grey which toned down the pink, and even brought more of the yellow tones in the washed maple.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Mtroe, I hope we aren't totally confusing you! On the second palette that Lessismore posted, I like that second grey from the top. Since your bathroom is windowless, I would worry about going too dark. Maybe Lessismore knows the exact name of the color? Gives you a place to start.

Just want to reiterate (I think I already said it earlier) that there is nothing inherently ugly about your peach fixtures! It's still a beautiful color. However, we all know what it's like when the design dictocrats decide to move on and we're all left with the old stuff and we feel so hopelessly out of date...try not to let the psychology of it all get to you! When peach comes back, I'll be in my glory! Besides I always remember, back when it was in, that some designer said it's the best color for a bathroom because it makes your complexion look lovely!
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Is a faux finish and option? If you do a mainly neutral wall with a little "deeper peach/clay" tone worked in, but in a very subtle way, that would help. Just remember basic color theory....If you do anything in the blues/greys, that's considered a contrasting color on the color wheel, and can actually make your peach "pop out" more. Also maybe add a stenciled motif in some coppery tones to once again give a nod to the peach. One final thought...Pier 1 has a great mother of pearl mosaic mirror, that is largely creamy (pearl), but has the occasional peach tile on it, that I think would look great with your fixtures. Like has already been mentioned, you have to embrace the peach somewhat instead of treating it like a "red-headed stepchild", if you want your space to look cohesive. AND...the floor to ceiling curtain to totally hide the tub/shower is a great idea as well. We've done it with many clients, so it actually hides the tub, and make the bath feel like a powder room for guests, but then when you do need to access the tub, voila, it's there! Hope this helped a little.
  • Sam Dewick
    10 years ago
    I liked studio10001's first paint color suggestion. It was what i had in mind as well!
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Studio1001, What color did you use? As I look back over all the colors people have "painted", they all look good. I still like sstar's aqua color as well. If the colors look good on the paint apps, it means we're in the ballpark at least.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    This is the mother of pearl mosaic mirror from Pier One. It is a beautiful mirror, for sure!
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    OK well, call me crazy but what about creamy white? I thought of it when I looked at that beautiful mother of pearl mirror. Then hang one of the pictures posted way back, to "honor" the peach. White textured shower curtain. This would look quite elegant!
  • Madeline
    10 years ago
    To frame the mirror you can purchase a miter box that comes with its own saw for under $10 at Home Depot (or Lowes). Molding for a mirror of the size needed will be only a few bucks more. One 8' piece and part of another. You can spray paint it. You could also spray paint your light fixtures (perhaps black?) if you first remove them from the wall. You have many talented people working with you on wall color so you'll choose the right color in the end. The floor to ceiling shower "curtain" is very doable. In fact I re-did my powder room around a Schumacher Chinese toile fabric I loved and got for a steal on eBay and used it for this very purpose. Hang in there, listen to the people doing their very best to work out your paint dilemma and you'll be fine when Mom gets there! Good luck!
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    One more pic to consider.
  • Madeline
    10 years ago
    @karemore55. You're not crazy! At least not about the creamy white. "hospitalet" suggested creamy white in a post somewhere way above. She called it "peaches and cream. I think of it as a "creamsicle" but those were totally delish as I recall. I agree with both of you. Also I don't know the cost of the Pier 1 mirror but Lowes has (had?) one also that was attractive and attractively priced. ( Then again that was a year ago or so.)
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Madeline, Thanks for reminding me of the peaches and cream idea - I remember it now and for some reason couldn't see it at the time. It was the mother of pearl mirror that suddenly made it click!
  • PRO
    Total Solutions Group
    10 years ago
    I like the color schemes lessismoore posted, especially the rose / fish ones. Those are the colors I would try to accent with.

That said, I would recommend choosing a shower curtain that combines some of the accent colors you would like to use. If you find a shower curtain that has peach tones, along with other colors, the peach will seem to belong in the bathroom more than if you tried to choose paint colors that would make it "disappear", causing your whole bathroom to have a warm peachy/brown feel. If you really want the peach to be less noticeable, make it look intentional. Then it won't seem as out of place, and even if it's still peachy, it may not bother you as much.

Find a curtain you like, then pull your entire color scheme from there. It will help tie everything together more than finding a color close to your peach. I also think a bolder curtain would help draw attention away from the peach and direct attention to the curtain itself. Some suggestions:
    [houzz=
    Kate Spade New York Candy Shop Stripe Fabric Shower Curtain · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Panache Floral Shower Curtain · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    "Warm 1" Shower Curtain · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Grey/Coral Ikat Shower Curtain · More Info
    ]
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Hi karemore55, - I'm agree with you about the orangey base in an tan/brown/beige! That's why I liked the peanut butter shade of all the ones she was considering.
    The mother of pearl mirror is lovely, but she needs the custom size that she has.
    I do think accessories, will pull the room together whatever color scheme she chooses. Right now, the walls seem to be sort of pink to start with so that's throwing it off too ... but it could just reflected light.
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    All- thank u for all your designing tips & experience! I think I probably need to embrace the peachy color. I might just go with the peaches & cream theme...just to make life a little easier at this time. I loved the mosaic mirror..I checked it out but it would not fit...and I know I have to keep what I have due to my shoe string budget. So I am going to try to incorporate some mosaic in the bathroom some how!

Would I be totally wrong by painting the room a peachy color that is lighter, but matches the hue of the toilet, sink & tub? Then just incorporate the cream in my accessories & shower curtain?
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Mtroe, I love that idea! Not wrong at all! Nothing "wrong" with peach. And cream accessories sounds perfect!
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    It's funny that the best idea yet came from the OP lol!
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Inner Peach, other possibilities. I keep,posting the feather pic, I know. Must be a favourite. I like how it helps keep the peach from being too feminine.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Two more.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    Just now saw your paint request. Belatedly, SW sturdy brown6097. The one below is bagel 6114, which may suit your new direction. You can upload to the site to try other shades, but look through paint chips to match the computerized versions, as shades may differ in reality.
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Karemore 55 , Lessismore & all -you are all so wonderful for taking your time to help... You do not understand how much I appreciate your guidance .

Karemore55 - could I trouble you , if you have time or chance to recommend a Home Depot Behr version of the lighter paint swatches? I am going that brand bc it's about 1/2 the price! I do have some swatches.. But really don't know what I'm doing, haha!

I found a smaller mosaic mirror at Marshall's ..but was a little to wide still... And I really have to keep that unframed custom size mirror..maybe down the road I will try a kit or the like to frame it! .. The mirror was done by a family member also.. Which was very generous, I feel.
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    to Belle Arti LLC - I am interested in the concept of the color wheel, the basic color theory, and using a color to not make peach stand out ,but embrace it. I am thinking of the peaches & cream color them. The bathroom toilet ,shower, sink is in between peach & orange..not like the peach in my room in the 80's! Any reference would be appreciated!
  • cindyguent
    10 years ago
    @karremore-tried what you said about SW app. I think you have to have the colors saved first but not positive. It seemed you couldn't really browse colors once your pic was up. I'm working with iPad, tho so maybe better luck on laptop or desktop. I haven't played around with it much and get frustrated when I can't figure it out! Did one with a bedroom scene and it worked ok with color saved.
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Thanks so much for your generous "thank you." I'm sure most of us here just love doing it and appreciate the opportunity people give us; opening up their homes and letting us chime in, I know I do!
    On the color wheel - Generally you find your base color, and if you look directly opposite it on the wheel, you will find the contrasting color that will most make it "pop." e.g. Orange/Blue, Red/Green, Yellow/Purple. If you don't want it to pop, then stay away from those colors, or colors that contains that undertone.
    It seems to me that maybe the hardest part in trying to help here is not really knowing what exact color "peach" your fixtures are. I'm wondering if, on one of your many trips to the paint store, take along the lid from the toilet (not exactly "handy" but the smallest, most portable part of the fixtures I can think of) and get some color strips that are 1. An exact match to the lid, 2. Ones that are a few shades lighter/darker and, let us "see" what those are. Most of us can access the named color strips from Behr on the internet and can then see if we would make other recommendations for paint or complimentary color schemes for you to consider!
    But, I know you said you have company coming and need to get this done! As others have said, it would be hard to go very wrong with a creamy white (white with a yellow undertone/not blue). And then, finding one key decorative item (painting or print, or shower curtain, towels) to tie in with your peach fixtures, gold lights/faucets, and cream color ... could bring it all together in a way that you'll be happy with. And you don't have to include an "exact match" of the peach in your accessories. You could include numerous shades, from pink to rose to beige to yellow golds (all tones in the peach) to blend it in. Best luck with all of this, we'll be watching with much interest :-)
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Love what Lessismore said - and just to repeat what I'm sure has been said at least once already - any color suggestions we make are just that - only you will be able to tell, when you're in the room testing them, whether they will work. If it looks harmonious you will know. If the color is fighting or something seems off, you will know that too.

Will poke around on Behr's website for some ideas in a bit. I have their app on my iPad too, but it's almost as bad as the S-W one lol!

@cindyguent, If you make more progress on the .S-W app, pls. let me know - maybe post on this thread if it's OK with mtroe. Yes, I get frustrated too. Almost need to go into a S-W store for a lesson - and I don't know if even they would know lol!
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Mtroe, I had another go with the Behr app and just can't get it to do what I want. Couldn't even transfer the colors I picked over to this site! So, I'll just give you the names: Heirloom Lace 280E-1, Lilting Laughter 260E-1, Adobe White ECC-55-2. Good luck!
  • Melissa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    All.. I picked a color ( did based on a vote based on the little sample swatches, so I hope it goes ok), & will be painting it today! My husband will put mirror back probably Monday & all the existing fixtures.

My color inspiration came from 1 item.. The soap dispenser.. Got the idea from the post I absolutely loved working with the Idea to showcase/ work with the gold fixtures.. I also used the idea of the reds& purples (shades of) & lighter tan color for walls. I love the shower curtain I got (for $20at Marshall's). I can't wait to unveil it to you all..
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Mtroe, we are all waiting with bated breath.....
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Must see!
  • decoratinglady5
    10 years ago
    Waiting for end result..
  • gjranch
    10 years ago
    To put my 2 cents in, even though I know the bathroom is probably finished! I personally would go with a light dove gray wall, medium/dark gloss grey vanity bottom, and a very nice, textured, solid light dove gray shower curtain (to make the room look larger and expand the wall color). Then I would put it together with a handpainted "chinese blossom" twig tree - thats what I call them anyway lol - in a dark gray color with the gray of the vanity highlighting branches and stem here and there.......paint going vertically up the wall behind the commode almost to the ceiling, and make the horizontal twig branches reach out towards the vanity and mirror, then paint darker coral blossoms with the lightest of peach highlights on them (just quick brush strokes). This type painting will look "airy", which gives the impression of spaciousness, the vertical line of the tree gives the impression of room height, and the colors actually look great together. Add a mirror with a frame - paint the frame the light dove gray of the walls, let dry, then using a dry 2 inch brush dip into dark gray paint, dab off any excess (use just a light amount) and dry bush onto the light gray frame with long strongs, letting the light gray show through....this gives the frame texture, which is great for small spaces :) Accent with SILVER faucets and hardware to harmonize the gray color, add medium gray towels and wash clothes, and a solid medium gray bath rug with nubby texture. I would not hang any other art, frames etc. unless I found chinese letter symbols, painted the medium gray color of the vanity but in a mat finish, that I would hang on the wall left of the vanity. A light fixture of silver and crystals hanging in the middle of the bathroom ceiling would be lovely! I am sure it looks great the way you have done it, as you seem very excited! I just read this thread and the above design popped into my head.
  • gjranch
    10 years ago
    Just a note, I have taken off existing hardware (lighting, knobs, handles) and sprayed them with silver spray paint for metal items. You can get it in very shiny to a matte/brushed look. I prefer the matte.
  • mamadubbs
    10 years ago
    I framed my mirror very easily by having Home Depot make the cuts to the trim and then used block corners and glue. No mitre cuts and no nailing involved! All I did was paint and glue!
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    gjranch - well, that sounds beautiful. We've got to find you another bathroom!
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    mtroe96793 - Still hoping to see the "after" pix? How is it going?
  • bmcjb4
    8 years ago

I was wondering if you could post an after picture for your bathroom update? My bathroom has the same color toilet and tub and I am having a hard time finding the right paint color.

• Cait Armstrong
    8 years ago

Any update?

• Fifi P.
    last year
    last modified: last year

I used Pediment by sherwin williams in my office which has similar tones and wood finishes, it looks great! it is "creamy and warm" but still has some grey to modernize everything a bit : https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7634-pediment

I did a 40% recipe because I didn't want it too dark. This room receives a lot of natural light because it has a huge bay window, if yours is dark, I'd go even lighter- maybe a 20% recipe... My office is a mess due to renos right now, but this will give you a good idea of the wall's color vs. the wood and white trimmings