Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marissa267

I'd love help choosing a backsplash!

marissa267
10 years ago
We are almost finished in the kitchen and need to choose a backsplash. I'd love any suggestions! Thank you in advance!

Comments (49)

• Sam Dewick
    10 years ago
    A macadamia colored tile or a steel backsplash i'm thinking..
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Here is one idea with mosaic tiles.

SWAN FISH CAMP · More Info
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    Love both suggestions above. Dytecture...that beautiful pearlescent tile is one of my favorites. It's beautiful.
  • marissa267
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you! Those are both beautiful suggestions!
  • PRO
    JandB Kitchen Designs
    10 years ago
    Hi,
    We always put a quick note to verify our experience: Brigitte and I have consistently designed between 70-90 kitchens/year for over 34 years..... We've literally designed thousands of kitchens..... We also design/build full structural including below-grade foundation plans.....We have 2 Chicagoland offices covering the Wisconsin to Indiana borders and a satellite location in S.W. Michigan.....
    Anyway, be sure to use some (if not all) glass tiles.....If you do, be sure to add some undercabinet lighting.....It doesn't look like you have any now.....We have a full "board" devoted to backsplashes on our Pinterest page ( http://www.pinterest.com/windycityjohn/kitchen-backsplashes/) that you might get some good ideas from.....Hope this helps!.....John & Brigitte
  • PRO
    HiRe Architects
    10 years ago
    I really like the idea of using dark tile with a white kitchen
    http://freshome.com/2012/11/20/kitchen-subway-tiles-ideas/

Hope this helps
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    All look good. The white subway with metallic glaze I'd very nice. Above.
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    I have just been going through the same dilemma. You truly have a blank slate to work with and many choices would work. I visited 5 tile stores/design centers. Bring things home and take pictures and post here. try to find a kitchen you like and mimic what they did. Decide your budget and that may direct you. Try to do something outside of the box. :)
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    Actually, you can go to my post and see all the great ideas I got from Houzzers. In the end it up to you to see the look in your mind and then make it come to life. You kitchen is beautiful.
  • Merry McMahon
    10 years ago
    Darzy's second option, the pearlized-looking subway tile is stunning!
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    You have a perfect wall for a backsplash. Don't round any corners just stay flat on the wall behind the stove. Wonder why the cabinet knobs were put in that position? See position of knobs below.
  • Hardy
    10 years ago
    A nice horizontal glass tile. I would try and find a tile that would help pick out the floor colour a little.
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    I would love to see a soft gray tile (either glass or ceramic), picking up the color in your island counter.

kitchen and baths · More Info

kitchen and baths · More Info

Oak Park Kitchen & Powder Room · More Info

Mt Tabor Kitchen Remodel · More Info
  • Sue Dyroff
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I recently saw an installation of sheet glass (backpainted I think?) and it was extremely clean lined. Just an idea. You color choice of course to either "pop" or blend. The image I chose was to illustrate the idea only.

http://backpaintedglass.com/assets/images/showcase/green-kitchen-glass-backsplash.jpg
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Any of the above would work.
  • PRO
    Kitchen Cabinet Kings
    10 years ago
    White subway tile with gray grout!

Any reason that the wall cabinets adjacent to the microwave are two left hinge cabinets, as opposed to one left and one right?
  • lwaylett
    10 years ago
    I believe this sample of black glass marble stacked tile would look fabulous. It will tie in the colors of the gray, white, and black that you have in a perfect blend. With those colors, you will always be able to add splashes of red, yellow, blue.......whatever color you wish with decor, flowers, kitchen towels, etc. This blacksplash will give a very nice glimmer from the lights and bring life into the kitchen.
  • sunshinegirl3
    10 years ago
    I think adding some colour would be nice...
  • codemeister1
    10 years ago
    glass blues and grays
  • PRO
    M. Designs Architects
    10 years ago
    Or, you could always go with a vibrant, custom glass backsplash for a clean, colorful look.
  • PRO
    Bobby Sanders -- Sanders Design Build
    10 years ago
    Gotta love a blank slate! This is your chance to go bold or stay neutral. I would suggest that you go a little bold with the tile and the added accessories. I would choose something like these..........
  • PRO
    Cabinets To Go
    10 years ago
    With such a neutral cabinetry color, you could do almost any backsplash!
  • watts1943
    10 years ago
    a brighter backsplash than the color of the cabinets. maybe something to match the color of the appliances since they are stainless. they are beautiful.
  • woofwoof
    10 years ago
    Think about cooking grease and keeping that grout clean as you consider your options. I would not go white, but stick with a mid-tone (like your counters) or even darker, or more colorful. But some sort of glass or ceramic tile for sure! Good luck!
  • PRO
    Architectural Metals Inc.
    10 years ago
    Hi marissa267, my name is Danielle & i work with Architectural Metals Inc. i have a suggestion for you. Your appliances are stainless steel, well if you had stainless steel wall flashing as your back splash. High end kitchens or restaurant kitchens typically use this style. They also do the counter tops stainless steel as well. We do this at an affordable price! Since you have the stainless appliances, doing a stainless back splash would look very clean, sleek & modern.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    here are some with white cabinets, we did not do these 2 but the ones above we did. we can do any design you want, it doesn't have to be plain with no design, let your imagination create what you want it to look like, i hope this helps!
  • PRO
    Inndesign Inc.
    10 years ago
    Love the tile that lwaylett and also Bobby Sanders -- Sanders Design Build showed but I would also like to see some color in this room. If you used the one with the blue, you could do the walls in blue and it would add some real depth to the room. Don't be shy with the blue. Use a deep one not a bedroom blue. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/blueberryhill
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    The stainless is so easy to clean as well, you just wipe it with a wet rag & its clean again!!
  • PRO
    K Squared
    10 years ago
    If you're looking for some 'bling', glass is great to give your splash some 'pop'. the more dramatic back splash would usually have smaller tiles, so 1x1's or linear patterns. If you're looking to stay a little more on the traditional side - stick to larger tiles, maybe in the 6" range; subway tiles are very popular and very classic - a little more timeless than some of the fancy splashes were seeing now days!
  • abqdd
    10 years ago
    Go with classic subway, but update it with glass tiles. Ours turned out very nice.
  • rebecca taylor
    10 years ago
    grey-blue 100% recycled crush glass tile from Fireclay Tile - here's a mix to get you started! http://www.fireclaytile.com/crush-it/6130
  • crp1234
    10 years ago
    Marble subway tiles would be gorgeous!!!!
  • PRO
    Remax Real Estate Centre
    10 years ago
    large glass stacked not staggered
  • elitexas
    10 years ago
    this was my choice
  • elitexas
    10 years ago
    wrong picture, here you can see my backsplach
  • PRO
    Kitchen Magic
    10 years ago
    A Corian solid surface backsplash is grout-free and won't crack, fade or stain over time! It's cheaper than most tile backsplashes, and actually lasts.
  • labohemista
    10 years ago
    Anything that adds visual texture or sparkle, depending on your whole home theme. River rock or tumbled marble gives an earthiness. Glass or stainless steele basketweave gives off a transitional or contemporary feel.
  • PRO
    Statewide Lighting
    10 years ago
    Looks like you have some fabulous, fabulous suggestions for tile. If you need assistance with the Undercabinet Light, let us know. Stacie@statewidelighting.com I'm including a link to our Undercabinet LED's. Thank you!

http://shop.statewidelighting.com/Brand-savoy-house/twenty-four-light-bronze-up-chandelier/1-6747-24-117/SKU-1FHP0?callingPage=CatalogBrowse&ut=W
  • Ellen Reed
    10 years ago
    Silestone....we used one color on the counters and a complimentary color on the backsplash.....NO GROUT LINES!!.....smiles
  • User
    10 years ago
    grey subway tile with a dark grey/charcoal grout
  • energysaver
    10 years ago
    Here are two AWESOME ideas that I saw on an online blog. It all depends on how creative you are. 1. A mosaic Mason jar backsplash. OR 2. A hand painted backspash. (See pictures.) More can be seen at: http://www.sawdustandembryos.com/ Good Luck!!
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    10 years ago
    you have a lot of stainless so a stainless backsplash is a very safe and compatible way to go. You can choose sheets, subway tiles or squares in stainless. Another option is mirror. You
    can go traditional, contemporary or period. Your appliances do not translate well into period however. Here are some photos using mirror as a backspash. It can be clear or antiqued depending on your style and will add light and reflection, always a good idea in a kitchen. I hope these give you some ideas. Have fun with the process!
  • Sherri Matyas
    10 years ago
    :)
  • modlnurs03
    10 years ago
    I have done many homes with a few misses but mostly a lot of hits. Firstly, the small tiles with several colors look OK for trim but too busy on a backsplash. I also love the idea of the large glass subway tiles, pulling a color from your granite. I also think that a stainless tile would be too heavy for your cabinet selection, and boring. Good luck!
  • lou cathcart
    10 years ago
    FIRST ARE YOU PLANNING ON ADDING COLOR WITH PAINT? If you are, then your backsplash could be neutral so that when you get tired on one paint color you can use another, whereas, you cannot easily, quickly nor financially replace your backsplash. The majority of photos show the smaller tile running horizontally and I think you ought to consider placing it vertically. It looks to me like you probably have an 8' ceiling and probably 16"-18" between your counter and upper cabinets. It never hurts to add a sense of verticality in a space that is mostly horizontal in design! So, try to picture the glass tiles in the photo (above my comment from Sherri M), turn your computer and look at it vertically! it adds an interesting texture and feel to the space!
  • PRO
    Subway Tile Outlet
    10 years ago
    Perhaps a stainless steel? Or a splash of color with a glass subway tile? Let us know if we can help with getting some samples for comparison.
    Stainless Steel Tile Products · More Info
    Glass Tile Backsplashes by SubwayTileOutlet · More Info