Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breannamay

Need help for teenage bedroom designing?

breannamay
10 years ago
My daughter is 15 and we really want to refurnish her whole room for her upcoming birthday. She wants a room which has a modern yet vintage feel, however her room is relatively small (3x4m). Wallpapering is good but I dont think we can paint. We are currently using random furniture as we have just moved houses, hence her room veing soooo messy. the picture I attached is from a mirror of her wardrobe which covers the entire side wall and is all mirror. Thanks a lot to whoever can help me out!

Comments (155)

• breannamay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I can't wait to put up the photos after I finish putting the room together! Right now I'm still choosing between wall decal or wallpaper :S
  • User
    10 years ago
    I would paint it all over too. Now you are really on your way! You've made the big purchase so hopefully the rest will be easier.
  • Betsy Nguyen
    10 years ago
    Thank you ,I love interior designing.I'm on a project right now for a family friend.What have you gotten done so far ?and I can help with the coordination of the furniture pieces or design
  • breannamay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Could you Betsy? I've bought a desk, chair and bed so far Could you suggest some good positions for it? As well as some other furniture which can fit in the room?
  • breannamay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Does anyone have the same bed? I'm having trouble setting it up!
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Don't paint the green- that would be a great place to add wallpaper and baskets. Sorry I can't help with the assembly- I hate following instructions.
    Kitchen Cabinet · More Info
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/127th-street-project-traditional-home-office-wichita-phvw-vp~2548161
  • mveasey
    10 years ago
    Did you YouTube the assembly? Otherwise give Ikea a call.
  • PRO
    Blindsgalore
    10 years ago
    If you want to achieve the plush, vintage, and light feel in this room, first things first, pull off those blinds. The plastic dampens the feel of the room. Not sure if this is a rental, but if it is, you can easily install them again when you leave. Just install an airy white or lightly patterned drapery set complemented with a woven wood shade. Check out our woven wood shades here: http://www.blindsgalore.com/products.asp?id=window-shades/woven-wood-shades/ . You can order free samples to compare colors before you buy, they are custom made to your window, and we guarantee they fit and that you will love them, or you can exchange, no problem. Window treatments are a must in this room.

Then consider a bed with storage like the others have shown above. It will be a great investment and will double on storage. Consider adding shelves and a few picture frames on the wall in a designed pattern to reflect your daughters style. Also attached a diagram for building the "plush" look on the bed. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Blindsgalore
    10 years ago
    Just saw bed you purchased, good choice. Here are more images.
  • breannamay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    anyone know how to put this together?
  • Patricia Pelgrims
    10 years ago
    Well, yes ! They have to shape into a triangle. On one side of the bed (the one with the sideboard) you attach them with one end (on top of each other to the especially designed attachment. Screw in place. Then open up the other ends and attach to other side of bed.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/assembly_instructions/flaxa-bed-frame-with-headboard__AA-756042-1_pub.pdf
    Page 10 to 11 on this pdf should give you the clues.
    I'm sorry. I'm not very good at explaining this malarkey. :/
  • breannamay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Finally Finished!!
    Happy with the result!
    All I need to do now is buy some cushions!
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    It looks good! Is that the bedding you using? So cute! A great way to add cushions on a budget- make your own! Get new fluffy pillows, neutral pillow cases and then add your own embellishments and sew the pillowcases shut. Then just add a pillow or two for accent.
    Vintage Blossom Boudoir Pillow · More Info
    Sweet Dreams White and Cream Pillowcase · More Info
    MY VINTAGE DREAM LINEN PILLOWCASES · More Info
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Way to go breannamay! Looks good!
  • breannamay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    How cute is this wall art?
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Oh, that's very cute.
  • breannamay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    How cute is this wall art?
  • breannamay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Why did it send both? Hahha
  • Patricia Pelgrims
    10 years ago
    It is very cute. But I would be wary of the fact that it might a bit 'young' for a 15 y/o teenage girl. ???
  • breannamay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It probably is. But Im not sure what is suitable.
  • pinchfam
    10 years ago
    hi, i love this thread, doing a similar project. found on etsy 9 photos of beach scene and framed in black bordered frames and hung in rows of 3 is perfect!! also found an idea online to sew five pillowcases together and fill with 5 pillows to make a body pillow to use on the daybed to make it loungy and fun!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I'd say that whatever she likes is suitable. I had the same thought about the tree/birds wall decal, that it might be too young. But you know... if they had a picture of it on a living room wall.... I'm just thinking that it may be the association with the child's room....
  • breannamay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    UPDATE: room looks like this, at the moment!
  • breannamay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Better view
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Such a nice and cozy bed. Are you going to do something different for the windows? This looks a bit 'hospital' like now. And she could do with a bit more softness I think. How about cream and soft pink pillows?

I have been thinking about you. Hope you are well away from the fires?
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    This rug could be really fun in the room.
    Mohawk New Wave Elegant Ikat Hot Pink Rug · More Info
    3D Butterfly Wall Art · More Info
  • breannamay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Luckily I am away from the fires! The sun's orange where I live though and theres visible smoke! Its been so hot! Are you away from the firea?
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I'm in the Netherlands, well away from the heat in your country ;-)
    Hope they'll have it under control soon. It's so devastating to all the people and animals involved. Very scary. Stay safe :-)
  • User
    10 years ago
    Those butterflies are precious, A Crew of Two!
  • User
    10 years ago
    carolins, those thick, cushy rugs would really add a shot of texture to the floor. Great idea!
  • User
    10 years ago
    breannamay, have you thought about putting a design on the foot of the bed that would coordinate with the design you choose for the wall? I don't want it to look like she's living in a cave, but a little something that ties into the wall design might be cute.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    And here are some great options too, less pricey:
    http://www.wallstickerscool.com.au/wall-stickers
  • User
    10 years ago
    pinchfam, the pillow case body pillow would be so much fun for slumber parties. It could also be folded and be used almost like a beanbag. Gettin' ideas here!!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I'm thinking about how we can get your window treatment to look prettier. So... if you want to keep the vertical blinds, you could perhaps hide them behind (cheap) sheer curtains.
    http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/70171927/

And then hang things from the curtain rod, like glass beads on long strings in front of the sheers, to give it a bit of bling and more interest.

Or... I'm wondering if you can dip-dye sheer curtains. That would be good. So they'll be white at the top and gradually get darker towards the bottom... Hmmm.... just brainstorming... don't know if cold water dye will hold on sheer fabric.

Thanks to the internet:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_7820421_dye-sheer-curtains.html
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    What about a Roman shade?
    Roman blinds and Pillows Succulent Bell Design series. · More Info
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    :-)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I was thinking that you could hang strings, similar to these but not as many, in front of simple sheer curtains. Or ineed dip-dye them.
    Not-so-Grey Greystone · More Info

Modern Dining Room · More Info
  • Ann Smith
    10 years ago
    I bought cheap bunk bed for my children on www.interbeds.com ... my two sons love it, Interbeds got really cheap bunk beds! I saw on their site, that they have got large selection of bunk beds, standard beds and mattresses, cheap prices and really high quality. Shipping is free, so this is a very good deal for me. Your doughter is too big to this beds, but maybe other people will benefit :)
  • pinchfam
    10 years ago
    carolins - any idea who makes those the dye curtains? i love them!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    @pinchfam, you could try Anthropologie?
    And if you do a google search for dip dye curtains, lots of diy tutorials turn up, but perhaps there's an Etsy shop that sells them?
  • Gia Scaccetti
    10 years ago
    i want something like the tumidie spa kinda thing, but i cant anything like that i can buy.... for my granddaughter... help
  • User
    10 years ago
    Gia, start your own dilemma. That will attract more attention than posting on this one :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    breannamay! Post pictures of your daughter's finished bedroom :))
  • breannamay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Looks like we are gonna move to our backyard!
  • breannamay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Unfortunately we have ceased all decorations as we will be moving to the back of out house when we have built a granny flat. We are at the designing the plan stage and we have no idea how to design her room. I was thjbking of building a small room similar to this for her room.
  • User
    10 years ago
    That would be great! Keep us posted!
  • PRO
  • felizlady
    3 years ago

Let her help decide on the decorating. I would avoid a hairy or long-pile rug because it is impossible to vacuum. Do girls still like to have a friend overnight? If so, a second bed or a trundle bed is a good idea.