Your shopping cart is empty.
tamizami

tamizami
December 17, 2011
what color should we paint our house? should we paint it one color or an accent color or darker hue on some feature? the exterior stairs and deck tile is gray.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Nick Mehl Architecture
    Your house resembles the early 1920's art deco architecture so I think it should follow the color examples from that decade. Take you cues from art posters from that day that show the architecture. I believe a creamy white field with blue-grey accents or even red accents would be indicative of the era.
  • bepsf
    Pale pastels such as pink, peach, grey or turquoise would be appropriate For the body - with highlights in black, navy or dark green.
  • tamizami
    thanks for the suggestions! do either of you have any feelings regarding painting the chimney a darker hue or different color than the body of the house?
  • bepsf
    The chimney should be the same color - Only the ridges should be the darker accent color, same as the ridges elsewhere on the house.
    tamizami thanked bepsf
  • tamizami
    but i am afraid the ridges might look like racing stripes if i paint them a darker accent color? i'm not really a huge fan of art deco but i suppose i need to embrace it with a lighter creamy color as nick suggested? i just know i am sick of the yellow (but my husband loves it). pastels are out, we both hate them. and we are surrounded by "cream" colored houses on 3 sides and a stark white one (with zero lot lines). would this affect the decision?

the tile is gray daltile magma, hammered in lava (here: http://www.daltile.com/series.cfm?series=352&next=7&pg=2&c=23). if you have specific suggestions on colors, i would really appreciate it. right now i am leaning towards toasted pine nut from sherwin williams along with either dovetail or pewter cast for accents. i also like collonade gray but its the same hue as the toasted pine nut so doesn't really pop as an accent. is the toasted pine nut too bright for this scale?

Nick - i LOVE the berry hill residence. are we crazy to put ipe under the upper deck to soften all the stucco? i would like to replace the front and rear gates along with a gate on the 2nd level deck with ipe as well. do you think this would look good or just become a mish-mosh with the art deco elements?

finally, i need to replace the landscaping out front. the bougainvilla never took off and i suppose we should do something a little more in line with the art deco - maybe something simple, repeating? i keep thinking cypress, but prefer bamboo.

thank you for any additional suggestions!
  • PRO
    Nick Mehl Architecture
    Thank you for the compliment. I use ipe a lot and I think it would look fine at the ceiling of that upper deck. It should bring some warmth to the house although that's not what art deco is known for necessarily. Make sure you add a stain or sealer to the ipe or it will turn gray like wood typically does. Where is this house? Looks like San Francisco? If you're in the Pacific NW then maybe western red cedar or douglas fir would be better than ipe. It's certainly easier to install and finish (not to mention more environmental since it's locally sourced).
  • bepsf
    "but i am afraid the ridges might look like racing stripes if i paint them a darker accent color"

But that's what the streamline style is all about - the ridges are racing stripes.
    Look to the hotels on Ocean Drive in Miami South Beach for further inspiration.
    tamizami thanked bepsf
  • tamizami
    agreed that is what the streamline, art deco style is all about but i'm not much of a fan of it unfortunately. i did try a color scheme on the sherwin williams site for any feedback.

@Nick - we are in southern california......thank you for the wood suggestions! a lot of homes are installing the ipe here and a few friends have complained about staining fading unevenly.

so......this photo would be if we decide to embrace the streamline art deco style and if not, we would paint the house a solid color and install wood under the upper deck. i do prefer a softer, more organic contemporary style so maybe that is the way to go....

btw, Nick, go Irish! my dad is a 58 grad....
  • PRO
    Nick Mehl Architecture
    It's a small Irish world! I still would follow the suggestion that you keep the chimney the same color as the rest of the house and just paint the stripes an accent color. I also feel that pastel would fit the style better but maybe a light blue if you want to go that direction. Good luck!
    tamizami thanked Nick Mehl Architecture
  • tamizami
    @nick & @bepsf - Want to thank you both so much for your feedback on our home's exterior paint color. We went with a creamy off white (Sherwin Williams "Stucco") along with Iron Ore on the railings, garage and front door trim. It looks fabulous with the Daltile Magma hammered tile in lava on our stairs and decks! And although the douglas fir soffit on our balcony is not "true" to the streamline/art deco design of the house, we absolutely love how it and the wood gates soften the look of the house. Thank you both again for your feedback, it made our process so much easier and gave me confidence as we proceeded with this large project.

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).