Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryann_smith

Need help:combo kitchen, breakfest nook, family room

Maryann Smith
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Need a design jumpstart! Have no real direction here, I like so many different styles... Looking for paint color suggestions, current color looks peach with the flooring. Have an affinity for teal, green, and gray. New cabinets are going in and backsplash and counter top samples are chosen. Looking for pendant lighting over the peninsula. Please pardon the significant other, puppy, and tools, we are a work in progress. Any and all suggestions are welcomed :-)

Comments (59)

• Maryann Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Karemore55, I love rug #2, but im not sure about the amount of cream? Do you know where the rug is from? I'd love to see it in person. Also, curtains are blue.
  • Callie Rhoads
    10 years ago
    I love your couch :) Looks nice and comfy!
    Maryann Smith thanked Callie Rhoads
  • Maryann Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Karemore55, thanks so much for your help. I am going this weekend for paint samples. Feeling excited :-)
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Happy paint hunting - it's a process...drag home as many paint chips as they'll let you stuff into your purse lol! Please keep posting as you progress - lots of fun for us!
    Maryann Smith thanked karemore55
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Looks like a very nice home.... you need a rug... and work from there to express your own personal style.
    Maryann Smith thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • kimshort22
    10 years ago
    Karenmore55__ wow! You're hired!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Love mirror over firepl. But not small pic on side. Too small. Add area rug 8x10 in a print in colors you like. Then add those colors on mantel and other art work hang low.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Add pillows in mix of design, and size and shape to sofa and chair. Also a cow hide rug in brown n white, would be fun. A throw over back of chair is nice. Ikea has all of above.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Kimshort22, It helps that blues and greens are my favourite colors lol!
  • Maryann Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have fallen for the block curtains in black and white but I am not sure how to order the panels. It's a bay window that is 88in center and 23in on each side. Previously I just used panels from my old house and put a panel on the outsides and then a panel between the inner and side windows. Thinking about ordering 25 in panels, any thoughts? Sorry the picture is sideways!
  • Maryann Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Have decided to use the gray on the left for the upper portion of the dining room wall, there is chair rail and I will keep the lower half white/ivory. The floral print is for drapery in the dining room. Lastly is just a cheapy rug we picked up at home depot until we can decide on a pattern/style that will steal our hearts! Any suggestions for wall color in the main room, not sure if the gray would be too dark, thought about using the bright green on top in the dining room and shifting the gray to the main area???
  • morish
    10 years ago
    looks like a very 'light' room so you could go for charcoal(not grey-too cold) walls & use teals/greens for rug & cushions & curtains. would look & feel very cosy. use teals/greens as accents in your kitchen...
  • Maryann Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanks morish: the top two photos are sw black fox, the bottom two are sw gauntlet gray, do you think one vs the other?
  • morish
    10 years ago
    I LOVE the one with the 2 lamps but am wondering if its the lampshades that are making it look so warm & cosy? either one??
    put rustic or neutral décor in the room for a warm feel...
  • Maryann Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    living room rug
  • morish
    10 years ago
    love the rug...now go hard with the coloured cushions & curtains!
    Is the mirror a fave? needs replacing with a large mirror & the little pics (if you're keeping them) need to be grouped down that little wall to the left of the guitar.
    Maybe some wall lights either side of the mirror? to glam it up a bit.
    whats on the other wall??
    Maryann Smith thanked morish
  • Maryann Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It is a blank slate! Just things I had before open for any changes
  • morish
    10 years ago
    nice chair....could make a statement piece...? nice bright cushion on there! throw?
    paint the tv cabinet same colour as coffee table. you need to draw the eye to the fireplace...do you use it? fill a grate with pinecones or something when not in use.
    I was going to suggest a canvas? but where? the tv would look ugly(always do!!) in front of the window but that needs dressing lavishly....maybe full drapes (blockout) dragging on the floor but depends on the look you are after.....beautiful or trendy?!
    get rid of the other little pics.....large looks luxe.
    is that a fan? need a low chandelier type light fitting. www.gallery67.com have CHEAP beautiful lights.
  • Maryann Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanks morish, We will most likely be replacing the tv stand with a lower profile console- my other half has his heart set on a 70 inch television. We do use the fireplace in winter. I think I tend to lean more on the trendy side of things but the rug and backsplash are more on the traditional side. Any idea with drapery color/pattern if we do go with the SW Black Fox in the living/breakfast nook? Thanks for all your ideas and help.
  • morish
    10 years ago
    The floral fabric you mentioned (& pictured)...is that a seperate dining room you are talking about? If it's just one window in the same area use it on the familyroom window aswell.
    Its an awesome splash of colout that will bring the whole room to life & fire-up the grey walls. Maybe you will need mostly plain colour cushions with texture....sequins?? Or stripes or zig-zaggy ones! to contrast with the floral...
  • Maryann Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    so... the dining room is to the left of the front door, it is combined with the entry way and staircase, the paint color for the dining room can be seen from the living area but not the whole room
  • Maryann Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    counter tops went in today!!!! so happy with the look, but even more confused with paint color choices???? :-/
  • Maryann Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    here are the three options I am looking at...
  • condomary
    10 years ago
    What a lucky pooch! I have seen built in feeding stations but none with a tap. Fantastic
    Maryann Smith thanked condomary
  • Maryann Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Any thoughts on SW Mindful Gray? Too dark?
  • kimshort22
    10 years ago
    One of the best Benjamin Moore colors is Edgecomb Gray. So neutral and a warm very light gray. I also like Steam for trim - like the name sounds it is a white but with a very soft gray. These grays are clean and warm. You absolutely cannot go wrong! (I am a color freak!)
    Maryann Smith thanked kimshort22
  • morish
    10 years ago
    You probably dont have to match the charcoal grey perfectly to the benchtop coz it wont be right beside it. Will be very nice when its finished!
    What is the colour in the entry? maybe you could do your green walls like in a previous pic?
    Sorry, I'm not very familiar with your paint colours....I am fom Australia!
  • Gina
    10 years ago
    Maryann, love all the suggestions n design stuff. But I was wondering what is your cabinet name and location you purchased. I'm looking for the same cabinet and can't find the thickness of the shaker. Thanks
    ~Gina
    Maryann Smith thanked Gina
  • PRO
    mark rojberg
    10 years ago
    Maryann, i was eager to more pictures for Refrigerator and oven wall. but it is nice!!!!
    Maryann Smith thanked mark rojberg
  • Michelle Ashby
    10 years ago
    Hi Maryann Smith, i think teal might look nice in your kitchen backsplash, not sure what the budget is, but here are a few ideas, some with glassy look, tiles etc. :) hope it helps...
    Lady Fern Circle Kitchen · More Info
    the first pic has the white cupboards, and black counter just like yours, might help...
    Maryann Smith thanked Michelle Ashby
  • Michelle Ashby
    10 years ago
    sorry, i just read now... i see you already chose the backsplash. :) oops...
  • Jason
    10 years ago
    I'd go more of a blue than grey with all the grey in there already. The backsplash could get lost.
    Maryann Smith thanked Jason
  • Maryann Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Pics of fridge/oven wall :-)
  • Maryann Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ginchar104 thank you, the cabinet maker is Shiloh, the door style is Wyatt. We are very pleased with the quality.
  • Maryann Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We picked up cabinets at the actual production center in Dudley Missouri. Long 3 hour trip but worth getting to see how they're made!
  • Maryann Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. I started with an aloof gray sample! I have lived with wheat sheath for several years and was really hoping for something more intense and dramatic on the walls. Who would have thought paint color would be so difficult!!!
  • morish
    10 years ago
    whatever you do...don't do a hotchpotch of colour or you will be sorry. it is the easiest thing to replace tho'!!
  • morish
    10 years ago
    hows it all panned out? lets see?!
  • Maryann Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi morish!
    Slow goes it!!! working on so many areas of the house nothing is getting done quickly. We got sidetracked over the holidays and are starting to get refocused. As well we had a sump pump failure in our basement which began another entire level reno.
    From my last update we have since finished the kitchen tile backsplash /twice!/ first attempt bad contractor-chose a new tile and new contractor and are now very happy. We also hung pendant lighting and under cabinet lighting as well. We still need to finish the trim around the top of the cabinets and decide on pulls, but we're almost there! We also installed a sliding door to our laundry room.
    This is an entire main floor renovation I have included some before and after photos of not only our kitchen/living area but the powder room as well.
  • Maryann Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    before and after each direction!
  • njschaefer78
    10 years ago
    A great muddy blue/green is SW Halcyon Green. Do a search in photos and lots of pics come up. I could see that as a beautiful color for your fireplace wall!
    Maryann Smith thanked njschaefer78
  • Maryann Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    dog station/sliding laundry room door
  • Maryann Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    cooktop area
  • Maryann Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    living area/ still needs décor/ drapery was an inexpensive fix before Christmas- new sofa/loveseat/coffee table coming this weekend
  • njschaefer78
    10 years ago
    Pull your seating away from the wall to cozy things up a bit!
    Maryann Smith thanked njschaefer78
  • Maryann Smith
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    more kitchen
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    10 years ago
    What an improvement, especially in the kitchen! Looks amazing. Interested to see the new furniture when it comes in. :)
    Maryann Smith thanked Shakuff
  • This is... my last project... Maybe.
    10 years ago
    Suggest that you get a C table or Bishop's table for use in the LR. Provides space for coffee, lap top but does not take up much space. Very useful with a sectional such as you have but I do not know if you are keeping sectional type furniture since it seems to block view and connection with kitchen. For the C table, you might get one with a base that connects the metal element of the medallion over the fireplace. And the metal element is a trend that just adds a bit of glamour. Also, I know that the little rectangular LR sofa table fits but what about something round and of interest? It would bring a different geometry to the lines in the room and maybe be easier to walk around. Congrats on being able to see past the decor that was there and purchase the house and congrats on the transformation. I love the dog space! My architect never draws a space in no matter how many times I ask but that gives me an idea for the laundry mud room under the bench.
    Maryann Smith thanked This is... my last project... Maybe.
  • Shana Colato
    9 years ago
    Hi Maryann may I have the color name that you used in your powder room photo? It's absolutely gorgeous.