Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_9936796

Color palette and tips for small living room

User
10 years ago
This my new small living room and I would love some tips on decorating it. Especially some thought on a color palette and such. The picture is taken from the (open) kitchen. Next to the living room is the garden where there is mostly sunlight in the afternoons. This ideabook shows things I like: http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/18420806/thumbs/Living-Room-Ideas

I could definately use some advise how to incorporate a (very large, reaching almost to ceiling) dark brown antique cabinet. It has a lot of kitchy details and pattern and also a large antique steamer trunk with dark green details. I dont want to paint either of them or hide them away (seriously, it wouldnt be possible, they are both huge pieces of furniture haha) but would like to mix them with my taste. Any advice?

-The flooring is put there by the previous owner and could be removed. I was thinking of a whitewash floor but am open to any suggestions. :) Thank you!

Comments (40)

• PRO
    Lauren Elyse Art
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Hi there cupcakesss [fantastic username, ps!]

So in a nutshell here's what I propose.

1. You see to love light pastels and creams, pick one that compliments the details on your steamer trunk [cream and dark green work really well] and design the room around that color palette. Use the trunk as your coffee table.
    2. See if there's hardwood under the carpet, that would incorporate your large antique cabinet in a more seamless way. Get an area rug that compliments the space. Put a big palm or fig tree next to it to echo a natural color palette & draw the outside in visually.
    3. Mix & match! Pillows, paintings, photos, vases, accessories! Keep the room rather simple and decorate with statement pieces you've shown a tendency towards in your idea book. If you'd like some new art I'm having a holiday sale in my etsy shop! I've got tons of bright and light colors that will work well with the room :)
    4. As an added bonus, see if you can't find a vintage window to hang high and horizontal at the threshold from the living room to kitchen to signal a break but visually keep the space connected.

Best of luck, you've got a great space it will be beautiful!

www.etsy.com/shop/laurenelysefineart
    User thanked Lauren Elyse Art
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    I will only add to that a suggestion to use fewer, but larger pieces, show off furniture legs where possible, and leave the loveseat in the showroom. I enjoy your ideabooks, and hope you will post your progress/results!
    User thanked studio10001
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Good morning, Cupecakesss! It's bedtime for me here, so I'll post something in the morning. Couldn't resist having a go at decorating your living room! You must have a lot of colors you love, but what are your favourites? Nighty night!
    User thanked karemore55
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lauren, thank you so much for your ideas. I will have a look at your Etsy shop later today, I definately love the bright colors!
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    studio10001, thanks for your thoughts! Why no loveseat? I was thinking of not getting a couch and use comfy big chairs instead. You dont think this will work?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    karemore55, thanks so much for replying! Hmm... I definately love a lot of colors haha, I could probably use some tips on getting the look of my ideabook without turning it into a carnaval haha ;) Colors I especially love would be dark blue, gold, soft pink and creams. I love lots of colors really but I think those might work best for me since they are shades that I also tend to wear a lot in clothes and jewelry. What I also love is flowers and plants in pretty pots so I suppose that would also add some green color! :D
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    Big comfy chairs sound fine; sofa/loveseat combos, though, form a high percentage of the dilemmas on this site. (Generaly, 1 person uses a loveseat in reality, making a chair-and-a-half more practical and attractive). Look at apartment sized sofas to provide the same anchoring.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Good afternoon, Cupcakesss. - or good evening maybe? I had a lot of fun putting together some color schemes for you. I remember from your other post that you like bright colors, so I obliged. In each pic, you'll notice a sweet chair with lovely curves, painted frame and fun fabric. If you can hunt down such a chair in a second-hand shop and do a little DIY, you could create your own custom chair to match your color scheme.

I found some Chippendale chairs with frames in various colors and thought something like this could work for you. They could be used at your dining table or in your living room when you need guest seating. Something with arms will make them inviting as a side chair in the living room, and add a touch of luxury to your dining area.

From your Ideabook, I gather you love a white sofa. This is a beautiful sofa that bridges the gap between modern and traditional - I love its curvy lines.

I recommend keeping your walls white. If you really want color on them, there is a stencil-type paint roller available now with different patterns you can paint onto your main wall (to right of window) to imitate wallpaper, but white is classic, and gives a gallery-like feel to the walls.

I like the idea of whitewashing the floors. You could then bring in an area rug if you want.

For furniture placement, I'm not sure of your dimensions, or whether you want a TV in there, but at the moment I see the sofa going on the wall to the right of the window, and your large armoire/cabinet going across from it. Then you could put a chair (like the Chippendales) on each side of it, and just pull them forward when you have company, or into the DR when you need extra seating. You can get wall lamps/sconces at Ikea, and then hang one above each chair on each side of your cupboard for lighting on this side of the room.

For the sofa side, your wall looks short, so you may only have room for the sofa and a floor lamp on the right side (by hallway). On the left side (by window) I would put either a set of two nesting tables, or a small drum stool or other moveable side table that would sit more in front of the window than beside the sofa. Your "cute" chair could sit in front of the window at an angle facing the sofa. One of the coffee tables I showed opens up for storage, and to sit with a laptop or eat in the LR. This might come in handy in a small space!

For your window, roman shades or fabric blinds would look nice. You definitely won't be able to hang curtains, but a little color and pattern on the windows would look nice.

Not sure where your trunk would best fit, but it shouldn't be hard to find the perfect spot for it. I love that you already have a couple of character pieces to start with. Hope you enjoy the color ideas. Lots of other ideas are sure to come!
    User thanked karemore55
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    I should mention that in the first collage, I used the artwork offered by Lauren Elyse in the previous post. Hope you are OK with that, Lauren!
  • PRO
    WhatColor.org
    10 years ago
    I would love to help. I do digital color consultations all of the time for a living and I love it! You email me the pic, I digitally paint it and email it back to you. Its that easy!

If you could get me a larger pic of your living room that would be good, but I will get started with what you posted here on houzz.

You can see some of my work here on houzz or on fb at ww.facebook.com/whatcolor.org Or you can check out my services at my site at www.WhatColor.org

I also have a FREE option!

I hope to hear back from you soon!
    consultant@whatcolor.org
    randall \o/
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Hoi cupcakesss,
    gefeliciteerd met je nieuwe huis. Ik zag aan de foto direct dat het een Nederlands huis moest zijn. Heel herkenbaar :-)
    In Amerika noemen ze een tweezitsbank een loveseat. Daar moest ik in het begin ook erg aan wennen.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    Dat verklaart de radiatoren! Plaats dan weer, zou ik graag uw resluts zien!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    What would you say about a bold wallpaper on the short wall near the window. And the long wall painted in a colour from that wallpaper? I've picked a couple of really wild ones...
    The big cabinet against that long wall. Could you put your TV in there?
    I'd go for a fairly large neutral coloured, comfy sofa. Could the trunk be a coffee table? Or does it not have a flat top?
    Floor to ceiling soft flowy curtains from wall to wall.
    Concrete look floor (betonlook van Novilon bijvoorbeeld) in kitchen and living room.
    Kivik sectional from Ikea (if it fits)
    User thanked Carolina
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    carolins said you were very nice, but I defended you!
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    Razzing you, Karemore- I asked OP to post results ( being a 12 year old, I always look forward to seeing spaces completed outside the US!)
    User thanked studio10001
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    @karemore55, I just let Google translate what I wrote in Dutch. Doesn't make much sense in English (Google translate services are always good for a frown and a giggle), but here it is:

Hi cupcakesss,
    congratulations on your new home. I saw the photo immediately that it had to be. A Dutch house Very recognizable :-)
    In America they call a two-seater sofa a loveseat. Since I had very used to it at first.
    User thanked Carolina
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    You are right! I am Dutch :D Thanks everyone for the lovely ideas. It will be a few more weeks before I get the keys to my house and at that time we will start working upstairs and do the living room last but once its done I will definately share the results! In the meantime all your tips and suggestions are very welcome! :)

I thought a loveseat was a 1, 5 seat couch but in the US a loveseat is the name for a 2 seater?

I am not buying a tv so I dont need a space for it. The steamer has a flat top so could in theory be used as a coffeetable but I think it would be too large for the size of this room. If I really cant find a place for it I might just use it in one of the rooms upstairs.

I love the bright colors karemore55! And the patterns and shapes of the furniture. Although I LOVE white sofas and chairs I doubt about getting one since I have a talent for spilling things so white fabric might not be the best idea for me ;) haha.

The grey chair with the white cushion is lovely! The multicoloured chair might be bit too much for me personally. Thanks so much for all your ideas!
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Cupecakesss, If I could have one more go at convincing you to buy a white sofa ....if you buy a slipcovered sofa, all the seats and backs are individually wrapped, so if you get a spill you just unzip the soiled piece and throw it in the wash. And if the stain is really bad, you can even bleach them! Alternately, you could get a slipcovered sofa, but in grey, so you have the washability, but can't bleach it. I think slipcovered sofas are so cool - I have two of them! Just thought I'd try:)))

@studio10001, Please tell me you're not 12 years old! Because if you are, you give pretty darn good advice for a kid lol!

@carolins, I had been chatting with Cupcakesss on her other post about her kitchen, so knew she was Dutch. But I should have known from looking at the pics of her apartment also since I have seen that style on House Hunters International! Thx for the interpretation though - I had planned to google it when I got home, but thought I'd read the thread and see what all has transpired.

One more thing, Cupcakesss - could you post pics of your finished space, pretty please? It would give us closure lol!
    User thanked karemore55
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    Consider it a mutual admiration society, karemore55 :)
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    Sidebar: carolins, if you happen to still have that great zebra from the victorian sitting room post (!), would you mind sharing with this poster:
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/fabric-for-art-deco-chairs-dsvw-vd~684856
    My apologies for the diversion, Cupcakesss
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    @ studio10001, I'll see if I can find it again. Think I still have it somewhere.... :-D

@ cupcakesss... karemore's idea for a slipcovered sofa... try Ikea, the Ektorp. Both chairs and sofa are slipcovered. I've heard many good things about it. Easily washable.
  • PRO
    Lauren Elyse Art
    10 years ago
    No way! I'm Dutch [1/2] too! Unfortunately my mom never taught us the language once she came over to the US from Holland in her teens, but I was just back in Heemstede visiting family earlier this year, I miss Holland!!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Hi Lauren, seems we Dutch are slowly taking over Houzz now ;-)
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Or how about a blue sofa? I have just seen one I really like whilst checking out Dutch furniture sites :)
  • PRO
    Lauren Elyse Art
    10 years ago
    Blue would be sweet! It's a big color right now & in the right shade it's a classic
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Cupcakesss, Yes, I love the idea of a blue sofa! What colors would you pair with it? It will go with anything, really. Or you could post a pic and we can all have a go at telling you how WE would work with it!
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is the sofa, i'd love to hear your ideas! :) I love this sofa because of the color but also because of the legs and the cushions are not so soft so you wont sink away in them too much. It also comes in grey and mustard which would be an option but I definately prefer this awesome blue :D
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    According to the color wheel orange should work well with blue but I dont like orange much really. So I'd probably go for cream, gold and soft pink. The first because I think it goes well with blue and the other two I just want in my house haha.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Great sofa, Cupcakesss! Yes, go with blue - it is so neutral it will go with any color. You could even mix and match the colors - gold and pink, throw in a bit of green even. Have fun with the pillows and keep posting!
    User thanked karemore55
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I like the blue sofa. Where did you find it?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    At that superfashionable store Wehkamp haha ;)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Ha! Thought so... :-D
    They do have great stuff!
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Would this be the European equivalent of Wal-Mart??
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Some here are putting in inexpensive laminate floors and then painting them to achieve a paint wood floor look. That might work for you.
    Living Room · More Info

Bedroom Patterns & Flooring · More Info
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Those floors do look good in the photos, but I don't like the sound of laminate floors. When you walk on them I mean. Sounds harsh and plastic like.

@karemore, I think Wehkamp is better quality, more fashionable too, than Walmart. But I'm not that familiar with Walmart, so not sure...
    http://www.wehkamp.nl/
  • PRO
    WhatColor.org
    10 years ago
    Cupcakesss, so I worked up some pictures for you to look at. I have worked up a bunch more, but here are the first 3 pics. If you like the service and want some to see the rest of my ideas or some of your own, then you have to move to the paid options. It is $29.99 for the next 7 pictures, then $24.99 for any groups of 7 pictures after that. I would be happy to help you explore other options if you would like. There are many things that you could do that would look great for the room. It is a very nice place!

If you find my service helpful, please let your friends know about it. I am starting to use this as a living, so word of mouth is HUGE!

Thanks again for letting me help with these three pictures!
    randall \o/
    Whatcolor.org
    User thanked WhatColor.org
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Carolins, Thanks for that link. It was fun trying to navigate the site since I don't speiken de deutsch lol! Looks like maybe a West Elm that also sells clothes?
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Haha... karemore, yep, i thought you might enjoy seeing a bit of Dutch fashion, furniture and language :-)

They started selling clothes online, but now you can buy just about anything there.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Karemore, gosh yeah... i just went over to the Wehkamp site and realized how difficult it must be for a non-Dutch speaker to understand where the links lead to... Most words don't look like the English words for it.
    Living = wonen
    Chairs = stoelen
    Sofas = banken

Very different words.