0

3x6 or 2x8 gray subway for kitchen

Iliana Georgopoulou Nunn
October 10, 2013
I think I have found my dream tile, finally! It's a Mexican handpainted tile. Hoping to get it ordered today. I am just stuck on the size. I was sure I was doing 3x6 subway however the sample board I picked up at the store has 2x8 subway tiles which I think I really like too!
My kitchen is all white with Caesarstone Misty Carrera counters with traditional beaded inset cabinets and stainless steel appliances.

Thank you!!

Rinehart Custom Homes
    Beautiful Kitchen!! I like your tile choice-- either would be fine. I think that the 2x 8 have more of a brick look than a subway tile though. Can you post pics when it is completed? I would love to see the after!
    Iliana Georgopoulou Nunn thanked Rinehart Custom Homes
  • Iliana Georgopoulou Nunn
    Thanks! I will definitely post more pictures when it's all completed!
    Maguire
    Pretty kitchen! 2 x 8" is my vote. Great color.
    Iliana Georgopoulou Nunn thanked Maguire
    markdesign, llc
    I agree with Maguire, 2" x 8"
    Iliana Georgopoulou Nunn thanked markdesign, llc
  • Iliana Georgopoulou Nunn
    Thank you both! What is the reason for picking the 2x8?
    markdesign, llc
    More interesting and makes the space look larger in my opinion.
  • Iliana Georgopoulou Nunn
    Perfect as that's what I am trying to do. It's not the biggest of kitchens so anything that makes it look larger is great!
    Maguire
    Yes, I agree with markdesign, more interesting, more linear, makes the space look larger.
    Such a pretty kitchen. I know I've said that already, but every detail, the nice window, cabinet hardware, lighting, I love what you've done. Are you thinking of replacing the floor? I noticed flooring samples in front of the bookcase.
    Blue Desert Interiors
    I would choose the 2x8 also. I think your backsplash space is not that large. Therefore, it's better to be bolder so your design is clearer. It also makes a better contrast with the vertical aspect of the cabinet design. I can't see the whole window frame in your pictures, which tells me that you might not have thought about the window area. I would most definitely put the tile in there. Where to stop and start would still have to be decided on. Be very careful on how the tile wraps the corner as well. That's the diiference between an average and a great tile job.
    Iliana Georgopoulou Nunn thanked Blue Desert Interiors
  • feeny
    Beautiful tile. Go with exactly the one you have in the sample.
    Iliana Georgopoulou Nunn thanked feeny
  • Iliana Georgopoulou Nunn
    Thanks so much!! 2x8 it is!
    Maguire, we installed brand new wood effect tile, and even though it's SO practical I miss real hardwood. The sample on the floor is the flooring for our basement (earthwerks rapidclic) and I was toying with the idea of laying it on top because it's so thin. We decided against that and will just live with the tile for a while, and if we really hate it in a a year we might just rip it up and put hardwood. Which is crazy as the tile was expensive. Including the installation probably over $5,000
    Ugh you live and you learn. The color of the tile looks redder than the sample we saw for some reason.
    Maguire
    I'm sorry to hear you're not happy with the wood look tile. It's beautiful, a rich, clean look. Good thought to live with it for awhile. Thanks for sharing your pretty kitchen with us. Best.
    markdesign, llc
    yep, she did a good job!
  • Iliana Georgopoulou Nunn
    Thanks so much, it was tricky as I had to pick everything out before taking the kids across the world to stay with my parents while the whole house reno was going on! Drove me crazy but there is no way we could have lived in a building site for 3 months. SO hard picking everything in advance but I am happy with mostly everything :) Thank you for your help and kind comments!
  • lfenza
    Your kitchen is beautiful. I love your floor.
    Iliana Georgopoulou Nunn thanked lfenza
  • clynch10
    2x8! Can you tell me what brand and color? I am looking for something similar bit even larger format
    Iliana Georgopoulou Nunn thanked clynch10
  • dclostboy
    The longer thinner 2x8 also echoes your shaker style cabinets...good choice
    Iliana Georgopoulou Nunn thanked dclostboy
  • catherinek708
    LOVELY! Every detail is is both timely and timeless! Looks like you have a microwave drawer. Yes? How do you like it so far?
  • jcollins84

Iliana Georgopoulou Nunn, I love that tile! Can you please tell me the brand/name/colour? Do you have a picture of the completed backsplash? Beautiful kitchen!

• franca1966

Hi I am also having the same dilemma! Wow my kitchen has similar style and I am also trying to decide between a 3x6 or 2x8 tile that is also hand made and dove grey! I'm really confused! Any help would be great . I have posted pics of the 2x8. There is also one of the 3x6 but unfortunately I only have one. My kitchen is very long so not sure if 3x6 is better. Many thanks!

• Barbara Almandarz

It's a matter of your preference, but I like the 3 x 6 size and the lighter gray. Good luck!

• franca1966
    Thank you.