Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nlmackay

Need ready made curtain panels ASAP - suggestions please!!!

nlmackay
10 years ago
Hi everyone - I need to get curtain panels for my living room asap! Long story short, I was in the process of modernizing my living room when my son got sick. The room went on the back burner, but now I have his bday family party next weekend and need to pull this room together...and on budget! My walls are a "greige" color, my leather furniture is a deep brown and I just bought a linen color jute rug along / a neutral horse print. I don't know what to do for curtain panels. I ran to bed, bath & beyond, target and lowes yesterday and bought a bunch.....blues, reds, neutrals and nothing looked "right". I was reading online and bloggers suggest the ikea white panels and adding a trim, like greek key. Would that work in my room? I know I need pops of color, and I was hoping I could do that through throw pillows and accessories. Please, please help!!!!

Comments (43)

• nlmackay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here's a pic of the horse print and also a link to the rug I got. It definitely isn't photographing well.

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/mason-boucle-jute-rug-linen/?pkey=e%7Clinen%2Bjute%7C2%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

Thanks for any help!
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    Do you need to block light at all?
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Nope, these panels are strictly for "show"
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    Pier 1 has some great curtains and you can get 20% off with this coupon SAVE20NOW. I like their Sunset Ombre curtains or the Indigo Tile for your room. They've got the pillows, too.
    nlmackay thanked A Crew of Two
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Here are two options. If you were to go for colour in the drapes, the only colour I think would work in a major statement such as drapes make is crimson -- it would tone with the pinkish tone of the horse picture, and what looks like the pink in the walls, too (of course one can't be sure that what I'm seeing is what there is). In the example below I suspect you might not like the touch of bling, but I think the room could stand it. Anyway, it gives you a rough idea, though of course as the picture of the room is dark the curtains look brighter than they would. The second option is to go with the neutral, and I like this light stripe. Both from Wayfair. I hope. I cruised a few sites and didn't make notes of where I got these. :-}
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Does anyone think a smokey gray-blue could work? I haven't been able to find any! I want the space the be sophisticated, elegant and classic....but not traditional.
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Blue would work...add some throw pillows to tie together.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    If you can get the right length, I like this center curtain from Sears Genevieve posted. I think the movement in the pattern could give the look you're after while the grommet tops will keep in tune with the casual leather furniture. You may tire of anything too bright or intense, but the golds here will work nicely in other accents.
  • kittt29
    10 years ago
    I think a blue or red could add some color to your room. Have you looked at JCPenney? They have a huge selection and quick shipping if your store doesn't have the size you need. You can always find online discount codes also for an additional percentage off.
  • PRO
    Blindsgalore
    10 years ago
    Just launched our new line of drapery panels, and I am so excited to share them with you. High quality fabrics ranging from traditional to modern prints. Take a look: http://www.blindsgalore.com/products.asp?id=curtains-and-drapery/drapery-panels/
  • PRO
    Blindsgalore
    10 years ago
    More ideas here. But also check out the website, there are tons more color options.
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    An embarrassment of riches!
  • raineycarole
    10 years ago
    Try Country Curtains. They have many styles and they're reasonably priced.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Do you have an Ikea close by? You can preview on line and check stock. They have all sorts that can be iron hemmed to custom length and are the best buy out there.
  • Jennifer Abbott
    10 years ago
    Love the horse picture! Bring some color into the room. All of these are from Pier 1.
  • Jennifer Abbott
    10 years ago
    Here's another route to take (all again from Pier 1).
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Looking at the suggestions above, I'm reminded that one thing I didn't mention earlier is that I think the room needs some pattern. No pattern at all makes everything look a bit monolithic, with your large sofa and chairs. If you go for plain curtains, a patterned cushion or three would do it. It's a really nice room, by the way. And I'm very intrigued by the object you have in the corner. If you have a moment to do it, I'd love to see a close up pic of that.
  • heather_11
    10 years ago
    I think just soft full sheers would be lovely. Bring colour in with cushions and decor
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you ALL so much for your suggestions. I went to Pier1 yesterday, but they didn't have much in stock. I have an Ikea close by. I'm thinking of trying there today. I came across this blog post. Do you guys think that white ikea panels (or another color?) trimmed in greek key could work? I definitely would love to add some color w/ pillows and a throw. Also, I know some people have asked... I'll get a pic of the sculpture in the corner and post it :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    As kitt29 mentioned, JCPenney has a pretty big selection plus they are always having crazy sales.
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ooops, I forgot to post the link to the blog: http://chinoiseriechic.blogspot.com/2013/08/chinoiserie-diy.html
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    I think the greek key trim would work beautifully. Good idea.
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    You do? Thank you so much, Rina! I'm hoping this all works out. So you think brown and gray work okay together, and then I'm thinking maybe pops of blue? I'm going to do my best to pull this off before next weekend for our party :)
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Okay...I'm a little all over the place because I'm not 100% certain what color to add for a POP. I just came across this gorgeous pillow set. Could this work: https://www.etsy.com/listing/156214452/throw-pillows-decorative-pillows-accent?ref=shop_home_active
  • solincia
    10 years ago
    I am a huge fan of JcPenney for curtains! They have a great in store, in stock selection and the prices are very reasonable.
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks, I'll have to try JC Penny too! I'm in a bind because my window treatments need to be 86"! How annoying!!! Of course they are 2" off from being standard, and I really don't want to lower my rods.
  • solincia
    10 years ago
    Use rings and clips, that will drop your length of the curtain the 2 inches you need!
  • solincia
    10 years ago
    I have rings that have a clip that has about a 1/2 inch length before the clip itself, not just the clip on the ring eyelet. Look for those. My rings from penneys don't have that, but the waverly ones I bought at target 7 years ago did, so I know they are out there!
  • joots07
    10 years ago
    I'd go with white linen curtains and use accessories for color. At most maybe a beige-white tone on tone effect. Colored curtains will cut up your room.
    nlmackay thanked joots07
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestion, but that is with rings and clips....I'm still 2" away from the floor :( If only I knew how to sew, I'd add a band on the sides and bottom. If I do greek key trim, I was going to use stitch witchery. Just not sure if that would work if I did banding on the bottom.
  • solincia
    10 years ago
    It's hard to see on my phone, but on a computer is probably easier, you can see how the clips are adding length.
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    Blue pops would work, I think -- though as I commented above, I see crimson as the natural colour because it seems to blend with the horse picture. I may be seeing the colours a bit squiff. Nothing wrong with crimson and blue both, one used to a greater extent than the other. The room is otherwise neutral, so two popping colours are fine. Those cushions you found are beautiful, but I'm not sure at all about orange. I'd have to be in the room, I think, to have a useful opinion. Can you find something orange -- anything, a face cloth, whatever -- and put it in there and see how it works for you? If it makes your heart smile, then go for it.
  • makennac
    10 years ago
    Here's a of one side. Hopefully it upload within the frame.
    nlmackay thanked makennac
  • makennac
    10 years ago
    Stitch Witchery works beautifully. It will hold your trim. But be certain your trim can take the heat TWICE, once to apply the product to the trim and a second time to apply the trim to your drape. You also need to make certain your trim is soft enough to "drape." Hot glue is another option for applying trim, but it has the same draping issue, so if u choose this method pls use it sparingly.
    • Here's another inexpensive possible option... For a contrasting color, a rectangular linen tablecloth from Home Goods provides a significant amount of fabric, often for less than $20. Checks, plaids and repeat patterns are easiest to cut straight. Or if you find a tablecloth with an open-work edge design which is usually a couple of inches from the border, that also provides a great straight cutting line. Cut off what you need and affix it to your drape. You can use this as a rod pocket also, but for that u'd need to sew.
    Here's a pic of an open-work edge. M
    nlmackay thanked makennac
  • PRO
    Castle Design
    10 years ago
    I have never seen a drapery treatment with Greek key trim that I did not love. Keep the panels neutral and add the trim. I am sure you will love it.
    nlmackay thanked Castle Design
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Castle Design! Do you think the white ikea panels will work in my room? Any thoughts on what color greek key trim I should use?
  • heyrenee
    8 years ago

I like your horse painting...can I ask you where you bought it?

• Boomers775
    8 years ago
    Posted over two years ago
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Heyrenee- I got the painting at our local homegoods. I still see similar ones from time to time. I've been thinking of getting rid of it. I'm in Massachusetts. Not sure where you're from?

• heyrenee
    8 years ago

nlmackey - Thanks for responding....I'm from Ohio...will have to check locally.

• shusha HL
    6 years ago

Instead of making the curtains longer. you could take a window sticker to make the window milky. or with lace image window sticker.