Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robijackson03

Need help with LR it looks a little blah and lifeless. Just moving in

Robi J
10 years ago
Open floor plan a lot of doors/windows with very little wall space. I have two pics of Egret birds I want to get framed and put in LR but that will have to be later. What kind of curtians? What can I put between the two door? Pillow and lamp suggestions please. I'd like to use the long narrrow cabinet but it needs a lot of work!! I love pineapples and peacocks.

Comments (29)

• studio3600
    10 years ago
    You need some "peacock" colors. You could paint or ass fabric to the back of your shelves. I would add some panels to the doors. (Non function would be ok, just for color and softness. It's a nice space!
    Robi J thanked studio3600
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Put your mantel pineapple in your foyer area, as they are indicators of hospitality. I see a bit of peacock blue scattered around your shelves. Pull that color on around your space with pillows, accessories and a new rug. You could use a coffee table and new lamps. Here are just a few ideas to start your creative juices. You don't need everything to match but here are some things you could pick and choose from.
    Robert Abbey Audrey Table Lamp, Peacock · More Info
    Habitat-04 Rug, Peacock, 5'-0" x 8'-0" · More Info
    Drum Table/Ottoman, Peacock · More Info

Peacock Jacquard Venetian Pillow · More Info
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    This is a beautiful room that could use a touch of color. I love deco's suggestions above. Here are a few more:
    Robi J thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I think the cabinet between the doors is fine, but it wants a vertical piece of art and a more substantial lamp.

Also, you don't need curtains for the doors at the end of the room. They will do nothing but detract from the beautiful trim.
  • Robi J
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you everyone for the wonderful advise. I looked for bigger lamps for both tables (no luck) and found a few solid color pillows. Do you think theseBlue Heron pictures will be okay over the little cabinet and opposite solid wall. The t.v. is mounted over the fireplace so I can't put pics there. So no curtains in LR? I love the blue color of the accents and throw. I have a pineapple mirror in my foyer. If I move my pineapple on my mantel to the foyer will that be too much pineapple? Not for privacy but to finish the room? The foyer is another room. Thank you again!
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    The egrets are great; whether they work will depend on size. I would simplify the stuff around them so they remain the focal point.
  • Robi J
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I need your program that allows you to actually visualize. Each print unframed is 17"x32" so they'd have to be hung on different walls.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    robi, I use Photoshop Elements, but there's a bit of a learning curve. Let's see if I can estimate the relative size of the prints. Does this look about right?
  • Robi J
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    By looking at this, the print is going to be about doubled but Ican get an idea. Would you put something else on the chest?
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    More like this then. I probably would not put anything else on the chest and, in fact, would probably remove the little pot or replace it with a low bowl so it doesn't detract from the art.
  • Robi J
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I thought about putting a live plant in there but like the thought of a low bowl. You have been so helpful. I can't wait to get my pics framed and up! I post more pics. Thank you.
  • bellesum
    10 years ago
    Agree with above suggestions to add a complementary cooler color like peacock to break the monotony of the earth colors. The display shelves need editing and pops of color. The space between the shelves are too narrow to allow the displayed objects to look good. Do consider reducing to 3 rows instead of 4 to give some breathing room.
    Robi J thanked bellesum
  • PRO
    Interiors by Design, Terri Marcus, ASID, RID
    10 years ago
    Start introducing colors with pillows, add some of the same colors in book shelves to carry the color throughout the room. Mix in textures to give depth. Edit shelves to look more open, less cluttered. Terri Marcus, ASID, RID
    Robi J thanked Interiors by Design, Terri Marcus, ASID, RID
  • Robi J
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all the helpful advice. I feel a little overwhelmed but will make this work. "I can do this"... with everyone's help. Now to find out I'm have Thanksgiving in my house... OMW!! I'm attaching a few more updated photos and I've ordered a few pillows and a throw to get me started. I'm still unpacking, going on 3 weeks, so hopefully I will find a few treasures! I moved the pineapple off mantel to foyer, had this blue throw and worked on my shelves now I think the mantel looks blah. After reading Bellesum and Terri's comments, I will go home this afternoon and play with the shelves. Doing the shelves are my weak link and biggest fear so naturally I procrastinate. I'm open for suggestions as to what needs to go off the shelves. Again, all comments and help is definitely appreciated
  • Rosemary Davis
    10 years ago
    House is looking great. However you might empty about 1/3 of your bookshelves and consider adding some books, horizontally and vertically for a homey touch.
  • bellesum
    10 years ago
    Here's another idea book. I quite like idea of adding a wallpaper at the back or a different neutral (not bright) paint color.
    http://houzz.com/ideabooks/1428440
  • Robi J
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This weekend I bought a new lamp, pillows and throws. I know I have three throws but I must keep one for my puppies. What do you think of the lamp? It was suggested to use color but this looked like me. I should have my 2 Blue Heron pics back next week from being framed. The question is where to hang them? I have 3 blank walls that desperately need color. What do you think about putting a fun mirror over the console table with lamp & etc and then the birds on the other two walls.
  • Robi J
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Opps attached two of the same picture. I'll work with the shelves more tonight and give an update. Also, I've never had the tv over the fireplace. What can I put on the mantel??? I wish my contractor would not have STOLE my decorating money!! It would be easier and less stressful if I could hire a decorater.
  • Robi J
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    One more thing, I was told I could not paint or wall paper the shelves right now. I had to make do with what we had... I could not sell him the idea of changing the shelves yet... Gotta choose my battles! That can come in time.
  • bellesum
    10 years ago
    There are non permanent solutions to painting or wallpapering back of shelves.

See thread. http://houzz.com/discussions/702374
    Robi J thanked bellesum
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    I think I would put the two heron pix on the left wall where there are no light switches, etc. I also would not hang them side by side but diagonally, still looking toward each other. This way you'll cover a little more wall surface with the two of them. Again, leave one frame's width between them and have the center of the arrangement 60" above the floor if there is no furniture underneath. That could be a spot for a bench if you need more seating. With benches you can still use the 60" rule most of the time.
    Robi J thanked decoenthusiaste
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I am not enamored of mirrors, but I do like the idea of keeping the herons together. I would hang them like this:
  • Robi J
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    For starters thanks for all the comments and help. I must say I've never thought of me as a person who has too much stuff. My saying is "less is better" and "everything has a purpose and place" but this proved me wrong. I had a hard time decluttering the shelves and yes I probably need to take more off. Please be honest and give me your suggestions, comments and advice. I know I need more color on the single shelf side but I didn't have it. I looked at paper for the back of the shelves but definitely need help here. What style color would work? Also, I'm back on the market for a lamp... I'm not digging the new one like I thought. Suggestions again for a lamp style. I hope my other rooms will be easier.
  • bellesum
    10 years ago
    Oh the shelves on the right are looking good. I like how you vary the spacing. It's more artistic this way. You can tweak it a bit more but you are on the right track. Not sure you need to paint or wall paper at all now. The white back may be a better foil for your collection.
    Robi J thanked bellesum
  • Robi J
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Bellesum. Pictures always help. I'm okay with the right side except the books need to have a little more color. The left side and mantel are in dire need of love but my "in house" store is short on the color... just another trip to Charleston. Thanks for all your help.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Shelves look better. Try layering and angling items a bit more rather than stringing them out like soldiers. For example, the pictures on the bottom left. There is frame and lots of white surrounding the subject in the large one, so pull one of the smaller ones over to cover the frame and white background of the picture. Angle the platter on the second shelf right. Use more books to lift the items on the 3rd shelf left of the FP. You want to keep the eye interested and moving from one grouping or item to another. Look at the shelves from a distance with your eyes squinted and you may see some of the trouble spots better. Books (2nd hand are fine) can help here to fill gap. Are the shelves lighted?That should be your next investment. Not sure I'd put stuff around the TV on the mantel. Again, try separating your stuff into warm and cool seasons and packing up the off season for now. If some span two seasons then think in themes - all glass, all pottery, a special collection, etc.
    Robi J thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Robi J
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I thought I posted something earlier but I don't see it....mmmm I guess Houzz is a learning curve like facebook. With so much appreciation for all the wonderful suggestions and advice I feel like I'm getting there but not ready to be turned loose. Here are a few more pics so any suggestions or comments (good or bad) will definitely be considered. I need to tie my eat in area/kitchen into the LR so I'm attaching pix of fabric I like for window treatments & chair covers. I may be totally off base but this is a start. I'll need window treatments for 1 window in kitchen and 3 in eat in area. I'm trying to take one room at a time but am on hold with LR till my pix come in.