I need help redesigning my kitchen/closet space. I would like to add o

Stacey Roy
10 years ago
I want to redesign kitchen so not so cluttered

Comments (9)

• decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    If you can't tackle the clutter alone, enlist a friend who has her's under control and be ruthless. Once things are cleared out, take more photos and we'll see if we can suggest other options.
  • raineycarole
    10 years ago
    Or call a professional organizer. Look on the net under NAPO.
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    definitely take a hard look at the clutter and what needs to go.

using the organizational things posted already will help so much.
  • housegal200
    10 years ago
    You need to do a serious, serious decluttering before you go out and buy organizers. Yes, either get a professional organizer or a friend who can help you be strict about yourself. Here's one thing I learned in the last few years while temporarily renting people's furnished homes: everybody has too much stuff, mainly multiples of items you only need one of! So pare down.

Here's a trick: Look up online articles about setting up the kitchen your first apartment. You only NEED THE UTENSILS, NUMBER OF BOWLS, DISHES, GLASSES, PANS, ETC. on that "first apartment" list. I've been in houses that have five corkscrews, four can openers, three slotted spoons. You've only got two hands, and only one dominant one. So for many, many utensils, you only need one--get rid of the rest. People save way, way too many plastic containers and they always need a whole cabinet for them. Keep four containers and lids for each size. Recycle the rest.

Start small. Pare down those plastic containers to hardly any. Get a large dishpan for under the sink at a dollar store. Put your cleaning stuff in the dishpan. Get a small wastebasket that fits under the sink for foil, plastic wrap, sandwich bags, etc. That frees up a cabinet drawer. Then move on to one cabinet and one drawer at a time. Store things in "stations." Food prep near the stove if there's a counter and cabinets there. Have a baking cabinet for mixer, processor, measure cups and bowls--no more than 2-3 of each--with your spices up above along with baking ingredients in see through plastic containers where you do your baking. Store dishes, glassware near the dishwasher or your cleanup sink. If you have one of those deep corner cabinets--most people hate them--dishes go there. Keep food items on straight shelves near where you prepare food.

Yes, there are great organizer items out there. But you're the key organizer of them all. Send updates when you're done. Good luck!
  • Arletta Sloan
    10 years ago
    A great idea I saw, from IKEA, is to use their towel rail, attached to the ceiling, along with some simple hooks, to hang pans from. It's cheaper than a pot rock, looks nice, and really gets them up and out of the way.
  • PRO
    Christy Collection International
    3 years ago

Shelf O Matic to the rescue! Clutter is so distracting and only leads to bigger messes.
    Look at our website www.Shelfomatic.online at our gallery. We have designed and installed thousands of projects and deal with all levels of clutter. Rollout shelves are the answer for your kitchen. Not only do they help you develop categories of items to be stored but they bring it out to you.
    Call us to speak with our founder. She will look at your kitchen and have a free design completed by a qualified - educated interior designer. 614 746 9182. Or email to set up a time that works for you. Clc@shelfomatic.online

• Russell McLaurin
    2 years ago

remove all that clutter and instantly improve your kitchen

• PRO
    Get It Moving!
    2 years ago

I agree. Hire a professional to pull it all out, line it up, sort, downsize and reassign. Then figure out how to best utilize your space.