Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stole

Need help on choosing window style!

Aaron Xie
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Help! Your opinions are important in saving my relationship with my wife. Thanks in advance.

We are replacing all the windows in my year 1939 house in a heritage area. My wife and I have very different opinions on the window design. My wife wants to keep the current style of windows and patio doors. I, instead, want to make the following changes:

1) still use the single hung window, but without grill in windows and the patio door.
2) replace the hinged patio door with the sliding door.
3) replace the bigger windows in the sun room (as shown in the second picture) with big picture windows (same to the big window at middle in the 4th picture). And no transom on windows in the sun room.

Comments (19)

• Aaron Xie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Any comments? Thanks.
  • Aaron Xie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks, Simon. You mean keep the grill in all the windows and doors, but replace that window in the sun room with a big picture window? What about the transoms on top of the windows in the sun room? That will be some extra cost as well.
  • Simon Briggs
    10 years ago
    Yes keep all the grilles but the picture window but flank it with two windows having grilles like your last photo. I would keep the transoms, the add quite a bit of interest and though they will add slightly to the cost they are one of those things you can't go back and add easily.
    Aaron Xie thanked Simon Briggs
  • PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    10 years ago
    I would maintain the tradition of your house and keep the same design of the windows.
    I am surprised that the windows are single hung rather then double hung. If you actually open your windows for ventilation, double hungs are so much more efficient, but they are more expensive too..........
    Aaron Xie thanked Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
  • Aaron Xie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi, Lampert, thanks for your reply. What do you think of a picture window in the sun room?
  • Aaron Xie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Also, what about a sliding patio door (with grill) versus a hinged door (with grill)?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Aaron: I am sorry that my opinion is different then yours when it comes to picture windows and sliders versus hinged (French style) . I do like to maintain traditional styles and shapes of windows and doors in a traditional house.

However, a compromise for the picture window might be 3 or 4 long narrow casement windows without the grid. This is a traditional look that could be mixed with the rest of the house and still look good......

I prefer traditional gridded french doors, but once again, you could substitute a french door without grids. I really don't like the look of sliding doors for a traditional house. They are so contemporary.

I have attached some casement window photos that you might consider instead of the picture window.....

Good luck.........
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Keep all windows and doors the same. If you are in a Heritage area, is there an Architectural Review Board? I also have a mid 30's home with great bones yet simple details. I wouldn't doubt that the Stock Market Crash of 1929 had something to do with the simplicity of detail that comes up short on a house that otherwise has stature. Over the years I have provided the architectural detailing the house deserves typical of the period.

With this in mind and the fact that you will be changing out windows and doors, I suggest that you consider the following:
    1. upgrade your front door.
    2. add a substantial cornice over your first floor windows to help balance the weightiness of your 2nd floor dormer windows and remove shutters.
    3. if you want to keep shutters, replace the existing with substantial panel shutters hung on the casing with visible hinges and pintles along with shutter dogs.
    4. remove the siding in the dormer and replace with trim boards to combine it with the window head casing providing a unified
    window element

elliptical dormer
    City Home 1 · More Info

Custom Homes by Reynolds Architecture · More Info

window cornice
    Traditional Exterior · More Info
    Aaron Xie thanked Scott Design, Inc.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    More casement examples and traditonal French doors without grids.........
  • Aaron Xie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all the wonderful ideas! We are also thinking of replacing the wood siding with store as in the Vernham picture from Scott, or at least replacing the lower half of the wood siding. It may cost $10-15k. Is it worth of that investment? Thanks :)
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    regarding the siding: We are using Hardie or Certainteed concrete fiberboard siding. It looks good and needs virtually no maintenance and creatures can't eat it........It comes pre-painted and the paint is guaranteed for a long time.........
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    The savings on painting and maintenance are well worth the upfront cost.......
  • Aaron Xie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Scott, could you elaborate a bit more on your 4th comment that "4. remove the siding in the dormer and replace with trim boards to combine it with the window head casing providing a unified window element"? Thanks.
  • Aaron Xie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lampert, thanks for your comments on the siding renovation. Is it cheaper to swtich to Hardie or Certainteed concrete fiberboard than to stone siding? If the price is similar, then I would opt for stone siding.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I don't know which is the better price, stone or concrete siding.....you can get alternate bids from 2 or 3 contractors and compare........Make sure that you give each contractor a concise list of the scope of work with brand names so that they are bidding apples for apples........
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    One more thought.....stone siding will require modifications to the trim details around the windows and doors including waterproofing details....this could add costs......be sure that this is included in your bids.........
  • Zohreh Alaghemand
    10 years ago
    My house was like yours. I like you did not like the busy windows. I changed them a little and I love them.
  • PRO
    Budget Fence and Patio
    10 years ago
    I think you place is just fine , you need to pay more attention to the exteriors like the front door , or add a patio , a little landscaping etc.You try these options also. Hope you consider this too..