Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pmags

To paint the trim & baseboard or not

pmags
10 years ago
We've just painted our walls with fairly neutral colors (BM Revere Pewter for one) and as per a designer's suggestion, the doors, trims and baseboards are all painted the same colour just with a different finish. I'm thinking this was a mistake. Any thoughts or suggestions? I have until Saturday to make up my mind.

Comments (37)

• handymam
    10 years ago
    Painting the trim white will make any color (except white) really stand out nicely. It also unifies the house by having a bit of the same thing in all the rooms. I am sorry, but when I see the trim painted the same color as the walls, it just seems like someone did not want to take the time to do the trim, although I know in your case, that is not so because you had a different finish.
    pmags thanked handymam
  • pmags
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks, I think I agree. The designer said that using the colour would unify everything making the entire wall look as one rather than cutting it up.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Definitely a mistake, in most cases it looks as though you forgot to put on a bit of lipstick and jewelry when going to a special occasion. Plain jane. Handymam is right, looks like someone wouldn't be bothered to do the trim. Get a nice shade of white on there and watch your rooms wake up. :)
  • pmags
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Plain Jane is exactly right. Even the different finish doesn't help. Thanks.
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I recently bought a small house and everything was painted an off white. Trim and walls matched. I chose a slightly darker off white for the living room and painted the trim white, and mforr is right, it really wakes the room up.
  • pmags
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That's exactly my thoughts on my mistake.
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    No, I cannot mforr, lol.
  • solincia
    10 years ago
    We just painted our foyer in Revere Pewter with Regal eggshell, and the trim is White Dove using BM Satin Impervo Waterborne. I highly suggest it!
    pmags thanked solincia
  • pmags
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    mforr, are these pictures of your rooms? If so, what are the colours that you used? THere is white and then there is white? Just wondering. Thanks.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    No they aren't, but you're right, there are many whites, I'd love to suggest a few options. What are some of the other colors besides revere pewter? :)
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    These are benjamin Moore whites that would be very good with revere pewter
    Simply White
    White Dove
    Chantilly Lace
    Oxford White
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    I use the brightest white I can get. No undertones to it that are easily detectable.
    pmags thanked mefor
  • pmags
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We have painted with BM winds breath and also with BM Dove Wing. I am also planning on painting BM brandon beige in the family room.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Any of the colors I showed above would be lovely with those, pick up some large swatches from benjamin Moore and see what feels right to you, you'll be so happy when you show the details of the trimwork and give your rooms some definition :)
    pmags thanked mefor
  • pmags
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much for your help. I looked at the walls again this morning and agreed that they are just so dull right now. Since you really seem to know what you are talking about, I have another question for you. Our new powder room is quite tiny. About 5 feet long by 35 inches wide. The toilet will be at one end and the vanity at the other. Due to a venting issue, the ceiling is quite low. I am at a loss as to how to finish this room. I'd like to try to give the illusion of a larger space and just don't know what to do. Some have suggested a really large graphic wallpaper to give the eye something to look at, others have said that wallpaper is old fashioned and out. Some suggested painting horizontal stripes on the wall to give the illusion of more length but I think that it will end up looking like reverse cell. The latest suggestion was to choose a colour and paint two walls that colour and the other two opposite walls, a variation of that colour as an accent. I was told not to go too dark as dark will make a small room even smaller. I'd love to have your thoughts and suggestions.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    I think the best way to open up a small space is to use a pale color, perhaps an airy blue, or something like SW sea salt, and white trim, also use a large mirror over the vanity, also with light colored frame, or silver toned. Is there a window in the space? If so, perhaps a semi sheer fabric that let's a lot of light shine through, or plantation shutter that you can leave louvers open until you need to close for privacy. Don't use a dark color, it will make it like a small cave, also the two different wall colors will just look busy. Wallpaper in a light color in a large pattern can stretch the walls too. Think of something like a large fern leaf, scattered around with mostly the background color showing. I'll find a pic of what I mean. :)
  • pmags
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No window. Will the two colours look too busy even if neither is really dark and they are variations of each other? If I paper, should it be on all the walls? The floor is a light marbled taupe/beige. We were thinking of a brownish glass vessel sink and thought I would try to incorporate those colours into the walls. I'll try to send pics of the sink we were thinking of.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    I'm not saying you should use a fern leaf, I'm just saying something with a random pattern, larger scale, pale colors, can be great. Plus, sometimes a little bit if wallpaper in the house is nice, a little detail. Powder rooms are great for wallpaper, not really any moisture, unless you're washing your hands for half an hour each time, ;D
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    :)
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    I would use one color, or if papering, I'd do all walls.
  • pmags
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have the sink pics on my email, not sure how to send them to you.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Do you have an ideabook set up that you can load the pics into?
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    This is the kind of size pattern I mean. Also, it does actually help if it's a bit nature inspired, giving the feeling of being outdoors, can fool the eye and the mind to think the space is larger.
  • pmags
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No and not 100% sure how to do that either.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    You could tell me the name and model of sink, I'll look it up and post it for you. :)
  • pmags
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    one is the VIGO zebra glass vessel sink. The other I took a picture of in the store and don't have the details of but it is along similar lines.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Like this?
  • pmags
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The other can be found by going to York Taps website (that is in the Toronto area) and looking at the Inner COre Overmount sink bowl, product ID: YT-IC
  • pmags
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Exactly! What do you think?
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    How about something like these sherwin williams colors with white trim?
    Navajo White
    Netsuke
    Muslin
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    I like the netsuke the best.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Definitely wouldn't do a fern wallpaper though :)
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    This one?
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    I think I like the York better, but the same colors work with it.
  • pmags
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, that is the one. Too much for a small bathroom? Be honest.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Not at all, as long as the sink, the mirror frame and the finish of the faucet and toilet flush are the only things in a dark finish, like antique brass or oil rubbed bronze. What color is vanity and counter? Medium color stain would be ok for vanity or a painted ivory.
Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting