Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sondeka

Love this pony wall but designers say it has to go. How can I keep it

sondeka
10 years ago
This wall has the only electrical outlets on this end of the room. The room is 18 x 35. Going to have concrete overlay floors. How can I keep it without dating the room?

Comments (29)

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I agree with the designers : ) I think this wall very much limits you for many options for furniture. I think it also closes in on the open feeling of open floor plans. Just looking at it, makes me feel like it's in the way. The hallways are so narrow feeling. Seems uncomfortable. I'm sorry!

You can keep it, it's your call, but seems difficult to decorate or make all the areas feel comfortable. The only suggestion I can up with is .... remove the walls and have 10"-12" posts or columns at the outer edge to hide the electrical. Open the space, it will feel bigger.
  • sondeka
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have a beautiful dining room table I was hoping it would frame.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    Put the outlets in the floor.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    Sondeka, it won't frame your table as much as will trap it and the chairs; think you should discuss these issues with your designer, who I am betting has a room plan.
  • Jill Coert
    10 years ago
    I think the dark wood trim is really dating the whole thing, as well as the dark wood doors. If you painted your trim and doors a neutral white it would really update the whole look. I think you could actually "dress" this area to look pretty nice with the pony wall. Is that your front door? I think it is nice to have a separation between the front door and the rest of the room, which your pony wall provides. If it was my room, I would create a transluscent room divider to go between the pony wall and the ceiling on the hallway side, to block the view of the closet doors. Something like the pictures, but just from the pony wall to the ceiling.
  • Sue Geddes
    10 years ago
    Something you could consider if you want to keep it.
  • regina5697
    10 years ago
    I'm not a designer, just an enthusiast. I have to agree that the walls are limiting. Consider the floor outlet idea and an area rug under your table to help you visually define the space. I understand your plight, but....;-)
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Dress it up with bookcases.

Sonoma Residence · More Info
  • alfredshearing
    10 years ago
    Make a list of good reasons to keep it. Compare this to the list of possibilities if it disappears. Let us know the outcome
  • alfredshearing
    10 years ago
    Frame your table with a floor design not this wall
  • Daria
    10 years ago
    change the wood so that its flat and square and flush all the way around like the sonoma residence above.
  • Angel 18432
    10 years ago
    Take down that wall - you will be much happier with the open space.
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    If dining room, what do you need the outlets for anyway? Vacuum cords are long :)
  • realtorrose
    10 years ago
    Why don't you try painting the shelf area white. That could make a nice difference. If you like the walls...keep them. You are the one that's living there. Try painting before you remove them.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    I hate wasted space, so i like dytecture idea about converting the pony wall to a bookcase
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    dclostboy gives a good point
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    I think it's just too tall. Salvage the tops, cut and lower the wall by 12" or so and put the tops back on.
  • sondeka
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    After.............love it!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    ????
  • sondeka
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Took down the pony wall....stained concrete floors!! Love it!!
  • sondeka
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes. it is!!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Can you show us the same viewpoint from the hall as the dilemma photo. I'm lost here : ) It looks so so different. Great job!!!
  • PRO
    Winterhouse Kitchens, Bath & Custom Woodwork
    10 years ago
    I think the picture was taken with the wall of doors behind it, where the pony wall was, and the dining table was to be put. Maybe?
  • User
    10 years ago
    Please do post more pictures of the room from different angles! Love the floor!
  • Rusty Empire
    8 years ago

2013 post

• PRO
    Murphy's Design
    8 years ago

If you are creating a banquette then I would consider cutting down the height of the wall and creating an open shelf with 12-16" in height and capped with white paint. The dark wood is further stealing out any light so painting of the doors as well in this situation makes a lot of sense. I love the trend of black or dark painted doors but in this space it is just too small unless you are going to use a lot of white through out the space-either way I would paint this particular item white and open it up.

• Angel 18432
    8 years ago

Murphy - the "after" picture is posted - job done - no more advice needed.

Lovely job, hard to believe it's the same room.