0

POLL: Toilet Paper - Over or Under

Emily H
October 29, 2013
Let's settle this one once and for all. Does the end of the paper belong underneath or over the top?

VOTE and tell us how it works in your house in the comments. (Photos encouraged!)

• Suzanne Melton

elipres: They are turning old Victorian public toilets that haven't been used in decades into pubs and coffee shops!

• Judy

elipres: In some public toilets they have that horrid fold up shiny tissue paper kind (one sheet at a time)

• elipres

Suzanne, it is an interesting architectural turn of events.

So, first to the support group, then to the pub! There must be a block where there are two spaces available.

Judy, I remember those!!!!!!!!! horrifying! That will follow me around all day

lol@havingfun

• havingfun

ok, i will take up the cause for the single sheet. we used to get the big fancy poof stuff. it went up and up in price and either made little rollies all over the place or made you itch. Finally i said wow, if you add it up, the $1 store, even though you use a roll a day? is cheaper. that was presingleply days. then i was told by the cleaner at work that the single ply lasted so much longer. So, i said we will try, and she is right. you can tell just by picking up the pkg. dbles actually are like puffing air in. so even though you seem to use more with single? a roll lasts 3 or more days. and in the end is not more uncomfortable. i know, just boggles the mind. lol

• elipres

huh, came back here to take a look and see we are no longer "on a roll" lol

• havingfun

rollin, rollin, rollin, get those elis rollin!

Which side? wwwhhhiiicchh ssssiiiddeee?

lol

• elipres

Havingfun, lol. think we have gone under...... or is it simply over????

• havingfun

it'll be back. i am sure!

• debe1138

Under only. I am getting older and it takes more energy to reach around and up than it does to reach lower and a little further back toward the wall.

• havingfun

gotta love it, a 3 year old thread still getting fresh views! brew haha!

• Sandie C
    Over and Over and Over again!!
    Ekhologix Contracting
    And please don't let the cat in there!

• elipres

Or my new puppy, I swear he has at least one cat chromosome

• havingfun

hey we have over 20,000! who was going to bring what to the Party?

• Judy

I'm coming, if someone sends me a ticket :-) Will even make an appropriately shaped cake :-)

• Anne Bozza
    Over. Unless it's in a dispenser then it flows better when under. Just my observation.
  • rodenbeckmike

Over, unless you have a cat.

• D. L.

Over was all my grandmother and I could reach when it was mounted across the small room. It made the part you reach for at least a half inch closer to our fingers and enabled us not getting up. It is no longer that far away, but it is still over.

But I do understand that cats probably are why we have the debate.

And I also understand why people don't leave it out. My spare rolls are in a drawer, but people who visit would get confused and rummage through everything if there was no toilet paper out.

• D. L.

Hysterical that the original patent shows it over.

• Lyn

I do things the way I want to. I prefer under and because I am the housekeeper the paper goes 'my way' tee hee hee

• stalo

seriously ?! people actually research how toilet paper is hung? Let s not forget what it is used for.:)

• Judy

Welcome to our group of researchers. Glad you've decided to join :-)

• Lyn

Its Lyn v---again............ interesting but fun note---my husband and I have spent a long week end away in a lovely resort----hmmmmm the toilet paper roll was placed in the over the top position---it drove me NUTS as each time I pulled at the roll the paper tore of at 1 or 2 squares---------I turned it to 'my' prefered way of under--guess what hahahahaha the paper rolled freely-------so this proved a point to me and I and very happy tee hee hee------who gets excited about loo paper?

• havingfun

i don't know but i know i was really looking forward to the laugh when i found someone had posted again!

• elipres

lynv it is such a relief when people see the light! Under, duh!!! Of course! Freedom, rolling, all those things you said. No doubt.

• havingfun

trying to think of a new improved way.

• Judy

Well, lynvanv, I am definitely an over person, yet never had the problem of the paper tearing - I get to decide how many sheets I want to use

• minjeeah
    Always!!! Over!!
  • elipres

maybe pre folded little squares neatly stacked on a tiny side table lol

UpCountry Inc

Didn't have time to sc(roll) through but......patent 1891. Case closed........

• zazfuzzroc

Really glad I was born after 1891...lol

• elipres

UpCountry but he did it like that for the patent, he had not had a chance to "practice" and discover that under was best LOL

• Judy

elipres Oh, no, I wouldn't want my host/hostess to decide how many sheets I should use at a time. I wouldn't want to have to "stack" :-)

LOL This is definitely a first world problem. Some people still use newspaper, I'm sure :-)

I visited my home country of Hungary while it was still behind the Iron Curtain. A friend warned me to take my own TP as what they had there was shocking. I stayed with a cousin and she was very insulted. She didn't think there was anything wrong with the shiny, folded sheets of paper they used. :-)

• elipres

judy omg those shiny sheets! I remember from childhood, and there I go dating myself

• havingfun

get them all upset again but not answer problem lol!.

• Steven Daily

I think that the toilet paper should always be over not under because it looks neater and for the ease of use.

• darkmargaret
    Under. That way you get what you want easily, not half the roll! It stops of its own accord, instead of continuing to roll. Do people REALLY fold the over ends over like the hotels? I mean, what an affectation. Who has that much time? And who uses toilet paper with a design. Think if the ink!!!
  • havingfun

well yes, I really do fold it over every time! well to be more honest my personal maid does it. like magic every time i use the restroom.

you did note noone has used that thread since last fall. me thinks me foxy nose might smell a bit of a troll coming round, no? lol

GN Builders L.L.C

Over or under it makes no difference but this does :-)

• Judy

Been a while since I've visited here, so now will comment on several posts. Never understood why people worry about what pets and toddlers will do with TP. Don't people have doors on their bathrooms? Why are pets/kids in there with no supervision?

(unless you have one of those cats that uses the loo, then flushes it) Cat using the toilet

I've had/have both and never had a TP mishap.

As for males not replacing TP etc. I found out (too late, I may add) that it is a matter of training. :-) My ex was a pig in the bathroom (will spare you the details) as is my son. My son tells me that daddy now SITS on the toilet, instead of standing in front of it and (not) aiming. The new wife ordered him to do that.

As for the Japanese bidet toilets... I have one of those, but I still use TP. (not as much) AFIC it is for rinsing only, not cleaning. I couldn't imagine not using any paper at all, just as I, too, wonder how people would dry themselves after washing. My toilet seat supposedly dries you, but I still need a towel (kept just for that purpose, and just for MY use) to properly dry myself.

• Sandie C
    Over and over and over again!!!!
  • havingfun

and then we go under and under again!

The Hot Tub People

Over !! my wife may disagree

• havingfun

well thy kit or pup shall not

but you might then think you were too free

• elipres

ok so I‘m thinking maybe the roll should be on one’s lap... in a little basket... to be unrolled any which way..... ( gonna go duck now to avoid the tomatoes)

• havingfun

ahhh, the never ending argument

where we always vent.

• elipres

It gives my spirit a sense of continuity....