Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sfriann32003

Paint cabinets cream to match trim?

sophie friesen
10 years ago
We would like up update the cabinets by painting them a cream color, to match the trim and doors. We only plan of painting, and not replacing....Perhaps leave the island cabinets the same color it is now. Also looking for Kitchen table ideas.
THANK YOU!!

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I really like your cherry cabinets the way they are. Are they in bad condition? Instead of painting them, I would concentrate on changing your light fixture over your breakfast table and replacing your table and chairs with a round one. Then I'd place the chairs on the
    angle instead of straight with the wall.

You could paint the table below the cream color of your trim and use it with the black chair with a cream cushion.

I would remove all the greenery from the top of your cabinets. It is no longer popular to use faux greenery.
    Wrought Iron Sphere Chandelier · More Info

Ypsilon 42" Round Dining Table · More Info

Augusta Side Chair and Cushion | Crate&Barrel · More Info
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Painting cabinets would be lovely...kitchen table current too similar to cabinets to create any delineation or draw any visual interest. I'd like to see a 6 seater, as it seems you have the room.
  • halfpint2
    10 years ago
    Painting the cabinets cream would look nice. Have you thought about a backsplash? I love your table, but I think it should be turned the other way with two chairs on each side. I would not leave the island cherry, instead, I think it would be pretty to paint it a couple shades darker than the color on the walls.
  • halfpint2
    10 years ago
    PS: I agree with Carolyn, remove everything from on top of the cabinets!
  • sophie friesen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    yes a back splash. If I keep the cabinets cherry, what would you suggest for a back splash? We have sandstone counter tops, and the color can be seen better with this photo
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I would love to see an iridescent glass mosaic for your backsplash, or a 3 x 6 or bigger ceramic subway tile in cream. You could also use a combination of the two. Sicis is a company that makes a lot of pretty glass mosaics. You might find a dealer in your area and look at both their Glimmer Collection and their Cubes. They can lend you some samples to take home to see how they look with your countertops. Discount tile stores like Floor & Decor also have some nice products.
    iridescent crystal glass mosaic series · More Info
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Your cabinets are beautiful. Believe me, in a couple of years, darker cabinets will be back in style and you will be wondering "Why did we paint these?"

I cannot tell you how many discussions i see on "Should I paint my cabinets white?"

I am repeating some of the above, but, what you need to do is:

1) Remove all the stuff from above the cabinets
    2) Add a backsplash (I love the one Caroline posted)
    3) Remove all of the little pictures near the table.
    4) Replace with one large piece of art or mirror.
  • rsm49
    10 years ago
    I like your cabinets! If you want to add some interest and color, consider painting just the island. I like the colors in this photo. Notice the backsplash too. http://houzz.com/photos/956098
  • PRO
    Granite Transformations
    10 years ago
    The cabinetry looks great, but if you're looking for a new look you could reface the wall and base cabinetry with cream doors. The idea of keeping the island cherry is great!

Refacing is quick, affordable and a great way to update your cabinetry without replacing it. You can learn a little more here-
    http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/cabinet-refacing-page/

Hope this helps, good luck with your project!
  • janeinfo
    10 years ago
    I am in the same boat as you. I have lovely maple cabinets....custom- made and the wood is gorgeous, but I want to paint them as well. I've had "white" kitchens and "wood" kitchens. It's amazing how much light seems to flow through the kitchens that were "white" and I think if you do paint yours cream, it will lighten your whole area and highlight the beautiful stone you have on your fireplace. Good luck!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Painting just the island would be a nice compromise, but remember that it need not be painted cream. A pale green could be pretty. The island below is more of a medium green, but it will at least give you the idea.

If you don't have undercabinet lighting, it would help lighten your kitchen.
    Historic Farm House Kitchen · More Info
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Things to do that will cost you nothing (or almost nothing) before you paint kitchen cabinets. These things are making your kitchen dark and/or dated

1) Remove stuff from top of cabinets (very dated and looks cluttered)
    2) Paint table and chairs sandstone color and/or buy different chairs.
    3) Paint the walls in the kitchen a closer color to the countertop
    4) Consider updated light fixtures (not bad, but could be more updated)

Some cost:

Also......add irredescent backsplash.

Then, see if you still want to paint cabinets.
  • PRO
    Walls by Design Inc
    10 years ago
    If you paint the, make sure you get them painted well. I see so many badly painted cabinets, and it would take away from the look and value of the kitchen. Dark cabinets like this need a buff sanding, two prime coats, and two finish coats. I suggest oil, as it is far more cleanable (unfortunately, not so environmental). Be sue to buff sand between coats too. It's a big job, and a little technical. Hiring this out would be a good idea...but I will admit, I am a little bias. Good luck!
    Nick