Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lolololito

Old stone wall

Lo Milner
10 years ago
I'd like to somehow cover up this wall. It's outdated and takes too much away from the living room. Any ideas of what I can do? Eventually I'm going to have it removed but I need ideas for the meantime

Comments (46)

• User
    10 years ago
    Put bookcases each side of fire, to ceiling . Hang a mirror or art over the fire( not a tv)
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Need to build up mantel and paint espresso / black to draw attention to firebox and away from rest of wall. Done right, the stone fades into backdrop.
  • Sheila Darkin
    10 years ago
    If possible purchase a larger carpet as this one appears too small for the space.
  • PRO
    Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
    10 years ago
    The comments above are good to help distract the eye away from the stone and the "geometric" pattern! But if you want to change the "look" of the wall without removing the stone, you could do a plaster "wash" over the stone? Similar to whitewashing brick. You apply a thin plaster over the masonry. It gives you a "textured" wall without the crazy color/pattern of the existing stone. I will look for some pics to post!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Here is an example of a plaster wash over exterior stone. Also if you go to my houzz profile, under "projects" see my photos of the "French Provence Farmhouse" we did a plaster wash over the stone to give an "old world" look to the home. Have fun!
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    .I love the wall!

I would take the two white sofas and run them perpendicular to the wall, facing each other, turn the rug, paint the walls a soft blue/gray (BM gray cashmere) and find a large oil painting for over the fireplace.
    Gray Cashmere Benjamin Moore · More Info
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    I would encourage you to rethink demolition. With a couple of simple changes, your room could be current and terrific. Here is a view with the following:
    Your slipper chair is all wrong for the room; put it in another room, perhaps a bedroom, or use as a side chair in front hall or dining room. It is very formal, and the striped upholstery makes it more so.
    The hearth resembles cow-spots; it was never well-executed. Bang out only the hearth and replace with a large piece of bluestone.
    Larger, simpler, modern rug in a color that harmonizes with the paint and the stone.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Yes @sstarr, that "hearth" is scary bad!!
  • shelle12345
    10 years ago
    It's not out-dated, it's "mid-century"! That wall is what gives the room character - take it away and you take away the "wow" factor. It could use a little cleaning up - wash it down really good and then dress it up with a big round basket filled with birch logs, (or a mid-century style log holder), and also put some birch logs in the fireplace itself. Maybe a set of fireplace tools - nothing too ornate - and a couple of pots or something. (Just make sure they are big pieces, preferably short and squatty not tall and spindly). I also think if you changed out the area rug for a big flotaki rug, or something with some texture, that would look great. Overall, it's a amazing room, it just needs a little "tweaking"
  • fashionfiesta370
    10 years ago
    I'd say keep it its a beautiful for me but I guess if you have lived with it for a while well you could put brick over it (I know its stupid but it might work)
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    10 years ago
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    Really love that stone wall! Agree with sstarr remove hearth and chair.

Can you post a pic of the rest of the room?

Copper would be a great accent color in this space ...
  • halfpint2
    10 years ago
    I'll probably be struck by lightening for saying this, but I'd primer and paint it some shade of white. Adding to the wall will, in my HO, only make it more pronounced.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    I like indianpatti's idea for the copper lamp... here's a floor lamp picking up the color..
  • Josianne Mendez
    10 years ago
    more white, on the walls, tables, lamps etc
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    I like the wall. This would be a great room for a Mad Men type look. Sstar, love the bluestone ideals the top of the hearth is heinous. A copper lamp would look great.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    "Mad Men" look!! Hahaha perfect to do a retro 60's look? Not sure that's where the customer wants to go though! No harm in "throwing it out there" sometimes they "stick"!!
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    Could go for the large turquoise lamps on the end tables for a 60s look.... good idea KPOA! I would also remove the pumpkin and replace with a turkey, for a more current look ;-)
  • J Petempich
    10 years ago
    I am the only one who thinks this way but I would check pictures of walls of old stone historical lofts where owners are not allowed to change the stone interior wall and try to get some ideas of what would go with this. This does not look much different from their walls. Example wrought iron.
  • jpp221
    10 years ago
    I LOVE that wall. Stop fighting it. Embrace the style. Mad Men, that whole era of optimism.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    @jill, I think looking at loft spaces would be a great source for inspiration! That's where I am seeing plaster and whitewash over old rustic brick masonry walls. It gives a more modern, clean feel.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    @jpp221, I like it too! Just not sure the customer likes it! Maybe let the post chime in with feedback?
  • J Petempich
    10 years ago
    This looks very similar to an old stone foundation and there may be some basement photos too.
  • PRO
    Color Zen
    10 years ago
    I would love to get in there with some paint and "faux" tone-down the color variation until you can demo. So it still appears stone, just more, well... zen :)
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    With this blue chair to replace the slipper chair, the room is more balanced. As an accent color, the hue of this chair is the complementary color to the rust tones in the stone and light.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Retro Cool !!
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    I have to agree, jpp221. But look, KPOA responded to the development of a consistent design concept..
    There have been at least 3 stone fireplace threads today, as well as a couple of brick ones. I even saw advice to brick over the stone.... but wait, everyone is hating their brick, too!

The mortar/whitewash over stone is an exterior treatment likely done to attempt to keep the damp out.
  • Lo Milner
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions!! Here's a pic of the whole room. The tv is not going there. I'm testing the cable so ignite that and pretend you see a fire place. The retro idea isn't bad!
  • Lo Milner
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    And this one faces the entry door.
  • Lo Milner
    Original Author
    10 years ago
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    10 years ago
    I think you could also add two large vertical colorful paintings on each side of the fireplace and that would help break-up the single plain of stone.
  • Laurie
    10 years ago
    I grew up in a contemporary home and my folks (dad architect, mom designer) built seating benches on either side of fireplace with 1 solid red seat cushion knife seamed and red and pink and orange throw pillows against the stone. Their stone wall was a bit more subdued in color but it was definitely a statement. Their hearth was also simple stone slab. No mantle. The rest of their room was white sofas parsons tables and the white 60's flocati(sp?) rugs. It was a very cool room and great gathering place for entertaining! Your room reminds me of that one.
  • Laurie
    10 years ago
    Oh and by no means am I suggesting anyone pair red pink and orange pillows against that wall! LOL. But you seem to have some lovely neutrals in the space already you could use. And the seating units themselves were simple carpentry boxes painted same color as rest of your walls.

One more thing if you decide to embrace the wall, I can totally see a black or grey stained wall shelf unit a la mad men on your plain wall...the long rectangular look is so retro cool now.
  • Beth T
    10 years ago
    If that is REAL stone, I wouldn't touch it!! it's beautiful!! Just make a few other minor changes as suggested ^ and embrace the stone.
  • User
    10 years ago
    See the image # 30 - 31 in the link below, it shows a stone fireplace which was professionally cleaned and then etched to lighten the stone. You might be able to do that on yours. There's also a lot of other ideas in the link regarding off center fireplaces.

http://www.bhg.com/decorating/fireplace/styles/before-and-after-fireplaces/#page=1
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    @smileyface2013, great idea! Rather than total whitewash, let some stone come thru!
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    Lolololito, I am so glad you are considering a retro look keeping your stone wall. Why have bland drywall like everyone else? With just a few pieces this room can be a show stopper. Think what fun themed parties you could have. I think a shag rug could be fun and love the blue chair with ottoman.
  • J Petempich
    10 years ago
    This room screams Loft. Most of the furniture and the things on the wall do not look very good in here right now. There are many photos on this houzz site that would look great and suggestion ideas too. This could look like a loft in New York City with the right decorating. Even an industrial min. would look good here. The stone wall looks like it could be in an old factory. As you can see I like the wall and don't want you to cover it (wish it was mine.) I think there is even some products that go on and lighten it and can be removed if you ever want it back. I hope you check it all out.
  • PRO
    Article
    10 years ago
    Have you ever thought about drywalling over top of it and starting fresh that way? Maybe that way you could avoid the costs of tearing it down.
  • kt20
    10 years ago
    you have a big stone wall demanding attention and the rest of the room is a bit meek - so it wins! Remove the dark brown/black elements (they are not helping). You can tone the wall down with wash, but it's your choice. As it is, on a color wheel, white nearby will make it pop; if you use blend colours for accents to take it though (think bronze/copper/autumn leaves) you will unify the space; or go blues (opposites of the strongest tone) for accents to balance. See the size of the stones? That's your cue for art on the other walls. Try to think at least four stones - preferably 6 to 10. If it's smaller than that, it will lose. Definitely replace the hearth if you can. A stone/wood mantel - chunky - to balance might help and break the wall in a good way. Much larger rug with single colour but texture (maybe even shaggy??) would build up a "good" warm/flintstone feel. Needs an oversize coffee table (the current one looks stiff and plain scared ). Rough hewn/recycled/ oversized chest/stone/ copper trim somewhere would all work - something with a bit of patina and edge, but bigger.
  • joypratt
    10 years ago
    The wall is so unique I think it would be a shame to remove it! What you need is some red! Red pillows. Art with splashes of red and crimson. Contemporary art. Maybe if you covered a good portion of the wall with interesting art pieces you would appreciate it more....
  • Lorrie
    10 years ago
    I love the stone wall and wood floors. I would lighten up the curtains and add some mirrors and shiny glass/ceramics to brighten and dress things up. I also agree that a larger rug might better suit the space.
  • simonmaiden
    10 years ago
    If you want to change it up without a lot of demo, I would build floor to ceiling shelving on each side of the fireplace painted a soft light gray. Add a wood mantel. Replace the hearth with a low black granite hearth so that you will not have a problem with the floor. If you still decide that the stone is not your style, you can always cover with black granite. Swap out the rug for one that is a little larger and with more texture. Replace the slipper chair with a nice ottoman that can be moved around for extra seating.
  • User
    10 years ago
    "I LOVE THAT WALL" No leave that wall alone it's beautiful. I would add more warm colors through the room. like throw pillows, also a vibrant big rug that's full of color.
  • Beverly Harrah
    10 years ago
    That wall is outstanding ..real authentic stone looks expensive. If the furnishings were more rustic like Restoration Hardware, you would have an designer room.