lorraineblasetti

Night lights or No night lights ?

LB Interiors
Can you sleep with a night light in your bedroom?
I have them in all my rooms. My guests always seem to remove them in the guest bedroom.
Night Lights · More Info
1. No
2. Yes

LB Interiors
    Jennifer and happyasaclam : )
  • bluenan
    I have one in my bathroom and mudroom powder room off the hallway from the garage, but I need a very dark room for optimal sleep.
    LB Interiors thanked bluenan

Great Night light for kids room

I have 2 daughters and i was decorating their rooms. I searched for night lights but couldnt find anything unique untill i saw on amazon something named: Wall Sticker Lamp. It is wall sticker with a real lamp. What i liked about it is that they have many great designs. So i ordered 2 of them and i am so happy with it. But my daughters got in love with it :). check this out: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_baby-products?_encoding=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=WALL%20STICKER%20LAMP&node=165796011 Also, I searched and found their website: www.wallstickerlamp.com Good luck

Need more light in dark living room at night.

Floor plugs installed by an electrician.

Night Lights. Yay or Nay?

The adults in the family do not use night lights, per se. My children have used them some(the boys have started using one recently, the girls complain their room isn't dark enough). We do have steps lights(if Daughter 2 doesn't turn them off). When I was still living at home, my Mom kept a night light in the hallway. The bulb was out and she was trying to navigate past the basement steps in the dark. She miscalculated and fell down the steps. They are carpeted and she didn't break anything, but when we remodeled our present house, I had step lights installed for that reason.

No Lamps on Night Stand: What else?

I totally agree with jlpiersk. I would hang some large pieces of artwork or mirrors over each chest and then stage the surfaces with either trays or enclosed boxes (great for holding tv remotes) and definitely something fresh like flowers or some succulent arrangements.
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    I can't handle light in my sleeping habitat. I live in an urban neighborhood that has a tremendous amount of street/front porch lights that pour into our bedroom. I've had to start wearing a sleep mask because the lights keep me from sleeping. I would normally add black out blinds but it is a rental and I don't feel like adding anything the the windows.
    Night-light in a guest bedroom is rarely required. If you are worried about them finding their way to the washroom, then a hallway light is about all they will need. Better yet, a light in the B.room will be more than enough.
    Normal ambient house lighting is often enough for people to navigate the hallways of a foreign home.
    LB Interiors thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • ruthmand
    No need for night lights in our house. There are already enough lights on to drive me crazy. Light on the clock, cable box, the modem, the computer, printer & fax, the toothbrush charger, the toaster, the oven, the surge protector.......
    LB Interiors thanked ruthmand
  • edithsmom
    We only use a night light in our hall bathroom when we have guests. Have you ever wandered into your kitchen in the dark of night? Amazing little green and red lights glowing everywhere!
    LB Interiors thanked edithsmom
    RNR Realty International
    A pitch-black master bed-bath can be slightly terrifying, but so are unsightly nightlights, so I keep this lovely hand-made stained glass one in the bathroom with the door cracked. No annoying lights to keep you awake but a warm glow for late-night trips to the loo.
    LB Interiors thanked RNR Realty International
  • decoratinglady5
    I have one in our bathroom,and hallway.
    LB Interiors thanked decoratinglady5
    Lightcrafters, Inc.
    Our line of handcrafted night lights are purposefully dimmer than many. I too would not sleep with one in my bedroom but like having one in the guest bath and kitchen when we have overnight guests. I especially like to travel with one so I don't have to turn on some awful hotel bathroom light. Night lights make awesome house warming gifts and baby gifts too. Especially beautifully handcrafted night lights! Christmas is just around the corner.
    LB Interiors thanked Lightcrafters, Inc.
    LB Interiors thanked Superfine Handicrafts
    LB Interiors
    Thanks everyone, I'm a bit surprised, I have to say. I don't want to trip and break anything, even in my own home. : ) If I stub my toe, I won't be able to wear heels.
  • unwantedadvice
    LB, I had a night light in my bedroom for years and years. Should have had one as a child but that's a different story. In my current home, the en suite is attached and open to master bedroom so I keep one on in there. Not so "in your face" so to speak.

Well, we needed a new outlet, guts and all, by my sink. Direct shot from bed to that outlet. In my hubby's infinite wisdom( I know he was being nice and thinking about me and my night light addiction) decided to get one that had a built-in light. Was not cheap. Unfortunately light source was very small, of course, and rectangular in shape. Shoots out light like a beacon! My solution, so far, and not pretty, are two plastic QT gas station semi-opaque cups, one inside the other to place in front of light to block it out and diffuse it somewhat.
    LB Interiors thanked unwantedadvice
  • rinq
    I only have a nightlight with a motion sensor in my upstairs hallway, so I know where I'm going on midnight water deposits. My bedroom and bathroom both have a streetlight right next to them, which can be handy, but not for sleeping. Two of the three bedroom windows have blackout blinds behind the cotton curtains, because I do like a little sunshine waking me up in the morning.
    LB Interiors thanked rinq
  • unwantedadvice
    Of course en suite is attached or it wouldn't be an en suite!! I need to go to sleep.
    LB Interiors thanked unwantedadvice
  • KD
    Nope, can't have much light in the room at all for sleeping, it keeps me awake. My mom can sleep with a TV on (on mute) and I do not understand how at all.

My preference for a light in the bedroom for avoiding tripping would be one like they had in a hotel I stayed in recently - there was a motion-sensitive light UNDER the nightstand somehow, so it came on and just illuminated the floor and enough of the room that you wouldn't trip on anything, without really significantly increasing the light level at bed height for anyone else sleeping. It was triggered when you swung your legs out of bed to the ground. I want something like that because somehow I can never find my slippers by the side of the bed at night if the dog wakes me up with an Urgent Potty Need. (Luckily the dog is good, so this is infrequent, but because the dog is good, if it happens it's an Emergency and not a good time to be having to pause to look for footwear. :P )

For guests I would provide one in an easy to find place, but not actually plug it in.
    LB Interiors thanked KD
  • Revivalgirl Heavanbound
    no light at night gives best quality of sleep. I use interior sensor night lights. they are only turn on when there is movement just outside my bedroom.
    LB Interiors thanked Revivalgirl Heavanbound
  • K. C.
    not. maybe because my tv is on and light enough.
    LB Interiors thanked K. C.
  • Mark
    A nightlight in the our bathroom is on and brings in just enough light in our bedroom for me to sleep comfortably.
    LB Interiors thanked Mark
  • charleee
    My digital alarm clock is like a beacon in the night - I don't need a night light!
    LB Interiors thanked charleee
  • rredpenn
    I'm with ruthmand...there are too many things in a house these days with annoying bright LED lights. I've actually got dark tape on some of the most offensive lights. Otherwise, I can't sleep!
    LB Interiors thanked rredpenn
  • indianpatti
    I'm with rinqreation ... we have motion detector, LED nightlights ... no need to blindly look for switches & stub your toe in the process.
    LB Interiors thanked indianpatti
  • needshave
    We have numerous occupancy sensors in the hallways, kitchen, bathrooms, garage, etc. They work great and guests really appreciate the thoughtfulness when they're in a strange environment. I like them because I'm naturally lazy.
    My wife suffers from tinnitus, the constant humming sound heard in a quiet environment. The only way she can really relax is if there are other sounds that disguise the humming sound. So we typically sleep with either the radio on, she is not a music fan, or the TV. I have no problem with the glow of the TV or the radio or the sound. ( I can also sleep in the movie theater! Which I'm reminded of frequently) We have nieces( in they're late 20's) that visit and always leave the little night lights on.
    LB Interiors thanked needshave
    LB Interiors
    'unwantedadvice', That's too bad. We all have thought an idea was genius and turns out not so much : ) Could you put an open book standing in place of the cups. Just a thought. Then when you close the book in the morning, it can lay down as an intentional accessory : )
    LB Interiors
    PirateFoxy, I would like to get those night light sensors too. Didn't know there were any like that. Do you remember the hotel they were in?
    LB Interiors
    I have some sensored night lights, I guess I need to change out the older ones, especially the one in the guest bedroom that guests have been removing. Duh? Never thought of just getting the sensored ones. LOL
  • unwantedadvice
    @LB, thanks for the suggestion but the cups only come out when I am going to sleep and are put away in a.m. I have thought of putting tape over it or painting with nail polish. Won't actually do either of those though.

When we remodeled the bathroom, we put in plenty of storage so the only thing on that nice piece of granite is an ORB tissue holder and a clock. Hand soaps by each sink as well. So when I clean, I only have four items to remove and wipe off.
    LB Interiors thanked unwantedadvice
    LB Interiors
    'needshave', guess we can get used to anything when there is a different necessity. Happy to hear that the radio helps your wife with her condition.
    LB Interiors
    'indianpatti', I totally forgot that I had some old night lights. Changing them out asap. Thanks.
  • unwantedadvice
    @LB, here is a pic. Forgot I had one that I posted on another thread awhile ago.
    LB Interiors thanked unwantedadvice
  • KD
    @LB Interiors - I can't remember. I was on a trip with my mom and she's usually good at those details, so I'll ask her. :) (I remember noticing because of how handy it was for her without disturbing me - she has some mobility issues so can't risk tripping in the dark, but in other hotel rooms if she turns on a normal light or the TV for light it wakes me up. So as far as I was concerned it was the Best Idea EVER.)
    LB Interiors thanked KD
  • unwantedadvice
    One thing we do on trips is take a nightlight with us to put in the bathroom of motels we stay at.
    LB Interiors thanked unwantedadvice
    LB Interiors
    Thanks Pirate. Best ever is right!
    Unwantedadvice, I'm surely going to remember to take a night light on trips. I hate leaving the bright bathroom light on and leaving the door cracked. Thanks
    LB Interiors
    Also, thanks to some that I think have mentioned that they take night lights with them when they travel. I think it was mentioned prior too. I had forgotten. Thanks.
  • KD
    I need to put a nightlight in my travel bag, too. Even worse than leaving the bathroom light on with the door cracked is when the bathroom light being on means that an incredibly noisy exhaust fan is ALSO on so you can either have light and an awful racket, or quiet and darkness.

Hilariously, in the house I'm working on now, we're going to try to put in floor/stair level motion sensitive lighting that will work well even for the dog. (He's old, I worry! I don't want him tripping and falling down the stairs because his eyesight isn't as good as it used to be!) I'm sure the dog will be deeply impressed with me making him walk past the sensors repeatedly to test if they're set to the right sensitivity.
    LB Interiors thanked KD
    LB Interiors
    Must think of the needs for our animals : )
  • KD
    @LB Interiors - As far as I'm concerned he's part of the family, so why shouldn't things be nice for him too? Though I'm having a bit of a dilemma re: dog beds because the best place for it is in the living room RIGHT by the front door (like, you'll see it when you come in) so I'm trying to find something that looks a little more like furniture that isn't stupidly expensive. (I mean, I could probably find somewhere else to squish it out of the way, but then he wouldn't use it because he likes to keep tabs on his 'people' - so this location puts him where he can see what's going on without being actually in the flow of traffic.)
    LB Interiors thanked KD
  • unwantedadvice
    @PirateFoxy, post a pic so we can see the dog bed you already have.
    LB Interiors thanked unwantedadvice
  • crystynarenee
    I have to, my cats' tails depend on it.
    LB Interiors thanked crystynarenee
  • chookchook2
    I have light on as I'm Arachnophobic and heard they're active at night. Hubby uses a blindfold, or in the winter a beanie hat pulled over his eyes!
    LB Interiors thanked chookchook2
  • chookchook2
    Can get pet beds made that are a side table on top. That English designer in the '80s Fowler(?) did a dog bed in a little medieval style tent, very cute.
    LB Interiors thanked chookchook2
    LB Interiors
    'Pirate' Can you make a decorative item for him to act as an accessory to a room?
  • MKF
    And my kids never liked them either!
    LB Interiors thanked MKF
  • chookchook2
    Pirate needs a parrot.
    LB Interiors thanked chookchook2
  • KD
    I should probably start a new discussion for the dog bed dilemma, I imagine. But right now he just has a $20 thing from CostCo that's falling apart so he's due for a new one anyway, and it doesn't seem worth taking pictures. :) I shall gather up some photos and start a new discussion. I don't really have photos of the room yet (moving in a week or so) but I can do a bit of a floor plan and include some inspiration photos of what we're going for in the room. (Pirate is the dude grinning in my little avatar picture here. Rescued lab mix, came with the name. :) )
    LB Interiors thanked KD
  • KD
    I should probably start a new discussion for the dog bed dilemma, I imagine. But right now he just has a $20 thing from CostCo that's falling apart so he's due for a new one anyway, and it doesn't seem worth taking pictures. :) I shall gather up some photos and start a new discussion. I don't really have photos of the room yet (moving in a week or so) but I can do a bit of a floor plan and include some inspiration photos of what we're going for in the room. In the meantime, I shall just share a bigger picture of the puppy in question, who is named Pirate. :) (Pirate and my parents' dog Foxy, chilling on a beach on Lake Erie a couple summers ago.)
    LB Interiors thanked KD
    LB Interiors
    Yes, start a new dilemma and post the link to the new one on this one, so we can follow you : )
  • KD
    @LB Interiors - okay, everyone, help me hunt for a dog bed! :) https://www.houzz.com/discussions/stylish-comfy-bed-for-large-dog-dsvw-vd~742347 (I hope that link works.)
    LB Interiors thanked KD
    Paris Flea
    The deaf use an alarm clock that is a light that wakes them.
    LB Interiors thanked Paris Flea
    Erika Bierman Photography
    Well, my parents moved into their new home and middle of the night when they woke up and of course being completely unfamiliar where switches are they end up walking into couple of the walls- well we get a good laugh about it now. Next day I did end up buying few of them so they can see better at night time.
    LB Interiors thanked Erika Bierman Photography
  • novicenoodler
    No, no lights at all for me, or my children. We all sleep better in the dark.
    LB Interiors thanked novicenoodler
  • lidi1011
    I don't think put a night light in bedroom is a good idea. But it's perfect to put them in the bathroom, hallway and the kitchen. When you get up at night, you don't have to try hard to find the swtich or wake up your family. Here are the night lights with motion sensor that I'm using, hope it would be helpful.