Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

What's on top of your kitchen counter?

Jeannie Nguyen
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Do you typically like to keep all your appliances out on your counters or do you like a neat surface in your kitchen?

Post photos and let us know what your kitchen countertops look like right now!

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

Comments (101)

• Susan Bishop
    10 years ago
    sam0267 - Alas, Pick 'n Save does not ship anywhere. However, I found a great many sources when I Googled "Counter top flatware caddy". http://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?_adv_prop=image&fr=goodsearch-yhsif&va=countertop+flatware+caddy
  • PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    10 years ago
    We just extended our home, adding a dining kitchen downstairs. Despite moving from a galley kitchen to this larger Ushaped room, I still have the same clutter on my worktops. I store dry goods like flour and sugar in stoneware crocks collected from antique fairs. The toaster, juicer, kettle and microwave are used daily, so no point in storing them in a cupboard. Stonewear jars of utensils sit either side of the cooker, herbs and spices are on shelves close to hand while cooking and jars of pulses and pasta are on open shelves, giving colour to the room. The kitchen is where my husband and I like to cook, so what's the point of hiding everything in drawers and cupboards?
  • locrian
    10 years ago
    Right now, as we're slowly settling in, the percolator, Keurig and coffee tree are on the counter by the breakfast bar.

The OTR microwave is sitting on top of the refrigerator drawers waiting to be hung. The WaterWise distiller is sitting on top of the counter-height refrigerator. Hopefully that will decide to migrate into the Butler's Pantry eventually.

The fluorescent bar lamp over the breakfast bar bit the dust a few days ago. I moved two decorative lamps over to the counters to help shed a little light on the subject.

Trying to keep everything organised while living in the middle of a destruction zone LoL Drywall dust, insulation fluff, and critter fuzz is not the most appetizing seasoning HaHa.
  • gayle4479
    10 years ago
    Coffee Maker, toaster, fruit bowl, painting, and a rooster
  • Kay Kitchens-Poindexter
    10 years ago
    I like a clean counter with electronic things out of sight. What I do have is the antique bowls, 1930s mixer, butter churn, and old canisters. You get the idea. Is it creepy to like doing things the old way just for the enjoyment of it?
  • ddelongc
    10 years ago
    It's your home. You can do whatever you want. :-)
  • ddelongc
    10 years ago
    Gayle, I also like roosters. Here is my rooster wine rack. (It also holds my daughter's water bottle!) :-)
  • rubyloves2shop
    10 years ago
    Sure I like it clean and minimal stuff if I am taking a pic but in real life we need that stuff so hey a little bit of stuff is only natural if you are enjoying life instead of constantly cleaning!!
  • bms0422
    10 years ago
    decorative liquid hand and dishwasher soap dispenser by sinks, toaster and coffee pot on either side of the stove, small planter on main counter along with fresh fruit bowl ( a living plant in every room is a must for me) and one small decorative item that ties in with the accent color in my kitchen. Sounds like a lot, but I have a good bit of counter space and these items keep it from looking overly bare. Oops. Forgot my stainless steel and glass salt and pepper mills.
  • Luciana
    10 years ago
    Typically, not much - sugar canister, paper towel holders, cooking wine, toaster and coffee makers. If there's a last minute impromptu party though.....
  • meora
    10 years ago
    I have a cutting board, toaster, paper towel holder and my George Foreman grill!
  • Sondra Pilatti
    10 years ago
    love that plate holder, Any ideas on purchasing one?
  • Tricia Robinson
    10 years ago
    We have our house for sale so not much is out in the open and even less when it is shown. Today, for a showing, the only things I'll leave out are my rooster, a bowl of 'real' fruit, standing paper towel holder, knife block, matching hen, electric can opener and the coffee maker. Oh, and a whimsical hen cookie jar. With this list, just imagine what I put out of sight. We have lots of counter space but I want to show off the granite counters, not the clutter.
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    where's Margo?? she would love the roosters!!
  • cinnamon13
    10 years ago
    I have my mixer in a bottom cabinet sitting on a swing/spring loaded shelf. Easy to install and so much easier on my back. No heavy lifting! The shelf swings out to be level with the counter top The negative is that it does take up the whole narrow cabinet, but I am able to store the beaters and shield under the shelf. . I would not change it...love, love the convenience!
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    I have lots of "loved" items on my counters, I like to see a kitchen that's clean and lived in. I'm also lucky enough to have a ton of counter space and storage for appliances, except the breakfast corner of coffee machine, electric kettle, toaster and large antique cake box, two levels!!! That is my bread box.
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    ooohh cake!!! :)
  • CR JE
    10 years ago
    I have my knife block on the prep counter. I have an open style kitchen/dining with shelving so everything I need is within reach or a few steps away. I have only bare essentials by preference so my shelves aren't cluttered. I have a row of glass vases with catkin branches that divide the area between my sink and eating bar if that counts as kitchen counter space. My utensils sit in glass vases on a shelf that rests on the stove back. As for everyday life, I have a counter that changes from clean to cluttered and back to clean several times an hour. I use it as my Command Central for projects, paperwork and unloading groceries throughout my waking hours.
  • sam0267
    10 years ago
    Susan bishop thanks for your help
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    Command Central. I love it!! crystynarenee!! I confess to the knife block and my ceramic bowl full of hotpads and several jars full of utensils (not like I don't have a drawer full too!!!)
    but my command central? my spot on the sofa!!! :)
  • lc29
    10 years ago
    One end of my kitchen counter ends up being my office. I need to find another place for it, but it's so convenient! What do people do with ripening fruit? Today I have 3 avocados, 3 small limes and 2 bananas ripening on my countertop, I always seem to have food on the counter waiting to be prepared, if I put it in the pantry I forget to use it!
  • CR JE
    10 years ago
    Mousemaker, I like your command central, more comfy! If I used a couch I'd be nappin' on the job :) Oh wait, I do that in my recliners.
  • Lisa Shaw
    10 years ago
    Not much. Galley kitchen, so I have spices, container with spatulas, etc.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    I try to keep as much clutter stashed away ... the state of the kitchen in this picture is pretty accurate but it is not quite so clean and neat (but I don't usually have much more out)...
  • kroze
    10 years ago
    lc29, In the corner of my kitchen cabinet I have a large basket of artificial fruit. I always put my ripening real fruit into the same basket. It looks great and serves a good purpose.
  • kroze
    10 years ago
    lc29, here is a pic of my "mixed" fruit basket. The onions and apple are the real fruit in this pic but I normally have avocados and other fruit there also.
  • J.B.
    10 years ago
    jefting ...I'm also a marble counter owner and keep it at a clean sweep! It was not my choice; I moved into it. Marble can become your nemesis if you prefer 'spotless' and it was pricey to have it restored back to the shine. It has to be treated carefully (no harsh chemicals, ie: vinegar or lemon cleaners) and I have become an avid butcher-block cutting-board prep artist! I like my counters clutter free. I don't get why a toaster can't be unplugged and stored in a cupboard right below after use. All appliances are within reach below the spot I use them...and it's good exercise to bend at the knees! Knives in a holder, a few in season colors of flowers, fruit or veggies are my decor, and of course paper towels for quick wipe ups. With an open concept main floor (condo loft) I prefer seeing less mess which helps me relax.
  • kroze
    10 years ago
    Superb job J.B. !!
  • ddelongc
    10 years ago
    ic29, at the end of the week I make a smoothy with most of the leftover I have. Just add a cup of orange juice, some water and a little ice and voilà you have a nice breakfeast drink for the weekend.
  • J.B.
    10 years ago
    Thanks, kroze! BTW, I thought your colourful basket WAS all the real deal! Looks yummy!
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    oh oh :) spices? I have two drawers full and a cupboard above, plus my stash :)
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Gee whiz, mousy, don't tell everyone about your stash !!! ;D
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    well, you would have to know where to find it :)
  • rosecafe
    10 years ago
    Kroze, that Chinese made Pineapple needs to be eaten...or thrown out. lol It reminded me of the pineapple we popped into the 'food hammock' on board in Honolulu, sailed it around Oahu and Molo kaii for two weeks, brought it back to our hotel, and finally tossed it in the bin three weeks after we bought it. A well traveled pineapple. Like yours. : )
  • pattikee
    10 years ago
    Shown: Poinsettia, reindeer cookie jar, lazy Susan with evoo, salt, pepper, tomatoes and garlic, cutting board and toaster. Not shown: keys, phones and chargers, Christmas catalogs, pile of bills, dirty dinner dishes :)
  • PRO
    Arielle and Archer
    10 years ago
    pattikee, I absolutely love the reindeer cookie jar! I want one...My counters are usually pretty spare with just the coffee maker, a bowl of fruit and a 125 year old flow blue salt crock. That said, I have roommates who insist on putting their phone, GPS, assorted chargers, keys, mail, bills etc. etc. on the counter. What's a girl to do???
  • jacquipru
    10 years ago
    What is a Keurig?
  • PRO
    Arielle and Archer
    10 years ago
    One of the single serving coffee makers.
  • kroze
    10 years ago
    Pattikee, that is a gorgeous range!
  • cinnamon13
    10 years ago
    I have two of these Keurigs and could not live without them! I set up a "coffee or tea station" for any Holiday gatherings or just anytime I have overnight visitors. They can make their own coffee or tea one cup at a time!
  • kroze
    10 years ago
    You are definitely the hostess with the mostess! : )
  • cinnamon13
    10 years ago
    As you can see above, I set up a moving cart and place the coffee or tea station somewhere other than in the middle of the kitchen, leaving me room to do whatever tasks I need to be doing. My guests have plenty of choices as to different flavors on the rotational single coffee/tea holder. I have more pictures on my website: www.meandmycaptain.com ....if you would like to see them.
  • kroze
    10 years ago
    I went to your website but quickly exited!!! It was too tempting.... and I am dieting! : /

I can't fathom doing that much detailed food preparation. I suppose it is an art form for you. Congratulations on a great website.
  • cinnamon13
    10 years ago
    thanks! but if you go to "Confessions - over the hedge" you can see comments on everyday life and most comments are not about food. Please look at the Pool Boy post1 :)
  • Teresa S-j
    10 years ago
    I have 40 inches of counter space--and no pantry. I am drooling over all the clean counters. I have 12 inches to the right or my stove with all of my spices, oils, cooking wine and vinegars arranged in rows by height and usage. My most valued appliance is my Vitamix because it can be used like many different ones. It is squeezed to the right of my sink just before the cabinet, otherwise it would not fit at all. To its right and under the cabinet is an ice bucket which contains spatulas, blender sticks, etc -- anything to big to stick in a drawer. Lining the back wall behind that are bins for rice, tea, and pasta. I have one more skinny place which has the rice maker in back and coffee maker in front. I am left with two sq ft of clean counter, which is my food prep area.
  • kroze
    10 years ago
    cinnamon13, I read it and you are a gifted writer. It was hilarious!

I used to have a pool and pool service but I don't think I ever laid eyes on the man. But then, I never got into the pool either..... : )
  • cinnamon13
    10 years ago
    thank you....please feel free to drop by every now and then....:)
  • jacquipru
    10 years ago
    Thanks Leslie - we don't have those here. But we have nespresso and other knock offs.
  • rollergranny
    10 years ago
    my mother's house had a very small kitchen. She had only about 12" of counterspace depth because her countertop was always crowded with items including a big dish drainer that was never put away so in my small kitchen I have minimal clutter to maximize the work area that is available. I don't purchase a lot of kitchen gadgets or extra pots so there isn't a storage issue.
  • Mo Sims1940s
    8 years ago
    ☺️