Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kteachdc

How can we fit two children into a small room?

kteachdc
10 years ago
We are trying to think out of the "bunk bed" box and figure out a creative way to fit both of my daughters into a 10'X12' room. See attached for location of closet, door, and two windows. Any ideas?

Comments (48)

• dbh
    10 years ago
    If you don't want bunk beds, but they want two separate beds, I'd probably put one bed on that left wall, maybe near the window-- and another to the right of the entrance door wall (if I'm looking at it correctly). These would be twin beds, of course. I'm a big fan of beds on a diagonal, too, so you could see if that works-- putting them on a diagonal at opposite corners. That might take up too much room, though. But I'm probably not see this correctly, because it would appear you have enough room/wall space for twin beds. ??
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    You can use captain's beds with drawers underneath. There's no room for desks for homework. That would have to be done elsewhere. If they are old enough, you could try dorm-style loft beds with desk and storage space underneath.
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    Maybe I'm not seeing this correctly then, because our daughter was in a bedroom about that exact same size, and it has a double bed, a big wooden wardrobe, a tall bookcase (36" wide), a shorter bookcase (also 36" wide), and a chest of drawers-- and there was still room to move around. Oh-- and an entry door, a closet, 2 windows on separate walls, and a french glass door to a balcony. True-- only one bed-- but we sure managed to fit a lot in there. I don't see what the issue is here for your space ??
  • condomary
    10 years ago
    Here is a site with ideas for shared bedrooms. http://www.digsdigs.com/33-wonderful-shared-kids-room-ideas/
    kteachdc thanked condomary
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    Dianahb, I am impressed at all you could fit in your daughter's room. Can you draw the floor plan?
  • Rawketgrl
    10 years ago
    The best part about sharing a room is the bunk beds. Here are a few ideas...
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    Another option:
    kteachdc thanked suzanne_m
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    Correction: Dressers are 39 in. wide in the above floor plan.
  • Rizwan Kazi
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    You could try to incorporate this idea for just two
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    I love the built-in bunk bed photos above. But if you don't want bunk beds, why not put a twin bed lengthwise on the wall to the left, as you walk in, and one lengthwise on the wall to the right, and then a big dresser between those two windows, and maybe a small desk somewhere?

One thing I've seen before, which I thought was really clever-- someone took the closet of their son's room and transformed it into a little office-- desk, lamp, etc. Very conducive to studying (small, cozy, no distractions) Then they had a separate wardrobe for hanging clothes.

Suzanne: I'm not good at drawing- and don't know where people find these online tools for that-- but, basically, the layout is this: As you walk in (same entrance position as above), a double brass bed is to the left, headboard against the wall. The tall 3' wide bookcase is against the wall to the right, books facing bed-- substitute wall where her left window is. Instead of two windows on our wall, like she has, we have one window in the middle. So to the left is the tall bookcase, and to the right is a chest of drawers. Moving on to the next wall, where her closet is, we have another window. Beside that window is a wall, where another shorter 3' wide bookcase is. Beside that bookcase is a french door leading out into a balcony. Turn immediately to the right, and the closet door is up against the wall, meeting the molding of the french door on that wall to the left. To the right of the closet, we have a tall wide wardrobe on a blank wall. To the right of that, and you're back at the entrance door. Believe it or not, there's room to move around and get into the bed from either side. There are no nightstands, though one could fit in easily on one side (not the side where the tall bookcase is, though). The dimensions of the room are the same. I'll try to take a photo.
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    If the dresser in my second floor plan is too much in the way with the bedroom's door but still like the idea of a bedside table, you could do like in my first plan but include a low thick headboard at the end of each bed to act as a bedside table.

dianahb, I am going to re-read your comment above and will draw what you are suggesting.
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    as one who shared a 10x12 room with her little sister for years with a bunkbed, bunks are NOT the best part of sharing a room.

we were much happier with separate beds.

the layout with them on opposing walls seems like it would be ideal.
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    Thanks Diana, I tried to follow your plan but I got a little confused. Somehow if I put the head board on the left wall, I don't know where to put the book case since it seems that there is a window beside it. I will be glad to see a picture if you find one.

This is your idea about kteachdc's floor plan. Let me know if you want me to bring changes to it.
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    Hi suzanne_m. Well, I decided to go up and measure that room. It is actually 12x13. Yikes. I had no idea. Okay-- so I have a few extra feet to work with, but also an extra window/door, so maybe it's a wash. :)

So as you walk in our door, same entrance location as the poster's-- the double bed is to the left. The headboard is against that left wall, and centered on the wall. The bed is about 4.5 feet wide and 6.5 feet long. There's even a bench at the end of the bed. The tall bookcase (3 feet wide; 13" deep) is on the wall that faces the entry door, positioned on the left of that wall. The window (3 feet wide, including the moldings) is in the middle of the wall. The chest of drawers is to the right of that (also 3 feet wide). Turn to the right is the next wall, and there is a window positioned a little to the left of center. That window, too, is 3 feet wide. To the right of that is a shorter bookcase--exact same as the other, just shorter, also 3 feet wide). To the right of that is a french door opening to a balcony (3 feet wide including moldings). Turn to the right and your back at the wall where the entry door is. On that wall is a large mahogany wardrobe that's about 4.5 feet wide, centered on wall. But to the left of that is a built-in closet, right in the corner, meets the molding of the french door on the other wall. Both that closet and the entry door (including moldings) are 3 feet wide.

Hope that makes sense. It's packed for sure, but surprisingly easy to move around-- no problems at all. So even though our room turns out to be slightly larger than the poster's-- if I can pack all that in, and it still looks surprisingly good and is very easy to navigate, then 2 twin beds with a dresser and desk(s) should not be a problem. I very much like your layout above.

Also, I LOVE the idea of the lofted beds (shown above) with desk or storage below. Find your space vertically (air space)-- which makes a lot of sense-- and looks fun, too.
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    dianahb, for fun I drew your explanation above. I agree it flows well.
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    Thanks, Suzanne. Our daughter is now 26 and doesn't live at home anymore, but the room must stay the same, of course-- kind of like a shrine. :) We recently had that room painted, and I re-arranged some things, and actually moved that taller bookcase in there from another room-- just recently. Honestly-- it surprises me how good it all looks. There's so much in there, but it seems to work. I personally like a more minimalist look/space, but I think kids like to be surrounded by their things-- it must feel safe somehow-- like a cocoon. Anyway-- like I said-- the only thing you couldn't add would be a nightstand on the side of the bed where the bookcase is, but you could add one on the other side, near the entry door. And it's not like you have to walk in or around the room sideways, either. :) It's amazing. So-- from my perspective-- the poster's options seem limitless. :)
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I wouldn't use bunk beds, but I would use loft beds instead. Each one could define the space of each of the girls. I don't care for the execution here, but this photo gives the general idea:
    While You Were Out: Kris McDonald Style · More Info
  • Carla NN
    10 years ago
    The worst thing about bunk beds is making them!
  • Sigrid
    10 years ago
    I don't know how old your kids are, but kids need to be old enough to get off the loft or top bunk when they are sick. It's so much easier to get sick into a bucket if the bucket on the ground, not far from your head. One memorable vacation, my brothers got sick in the vacation house bunk bed and the one on the top was too young to wake up, climb down and get sick in the toilet. The mess, the uproar, the misery.

Bunk beds or loft beds are fine for vacation houses, because you're not there all that often, but in February flu season? Not so much. I'd get a beds that are a little higher and have built-in drawers. Add pillows against the wall so they work as sofas/chairs, too.
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    Yes; Sigrid makes a good point. I've seen people do that in dorm rooms-- where the bed works sort of like a daybed, too.
  • kteachdc
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you ALL so much for your comments and help! As a visual person, I love all of the photos and floor plans. We really liked the idea of bunkbeds at first, but then I realized what a pain it would be to make them. Not to mention my girls are 2 and 5, and although both are potty trained, they still have the occasional nighttime accident....which would be a super pain to change as well in the dark. Not to mention that we have lower ceilings, so I feel as though my older daughter will grow out of the bunk bed even quicker as she gets older. That's really why I was trying to find a twin bed solution. I also (sorry!), forgot to mention that the window on the left hand side of my floor plan has a bench seat in front of it, that's flush with the wall. Not a huge deal, but if I can avoid blocking it, that would be better.

We had also thought of trying to do a corner, L-shape with the two beds, with a table in the corner, but any measurements that I've tried just haven't quite fit. Thank you again for all of your ideas! You are wonderful!!
  • Debp
    10 years ago
    Have the ends form an L shape in the corner.
  • kteachdc
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, Debp...this is what I'd like to, but when I measured, they just didn't quite fit in either of my corners. =( My hubby suggested that they overlap (so the left headboard would be pushed agains the wall, and the right bed would be pushed against the headboard of the first bed), but I think this will look bad...and even if we switch it so their feet would meet instead of heads, I see problems!!
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    Twin beds are around 39"x75" (a little over 3' wide by a little over 6' long), so I don't understand why-- based on your diagram above-- that you can't put one twin bed, either orientation, along the left wall (from the entry door), and the other along the wall to the right of the entry door. And then work in everything else after that. The beds are the most important, after all. That seems like a really simple solution. It's not inspired or anything, but it certainly works. In fact, the bed to the right of the entry door could possible go in diagonally in the corner there. Both those suggestions for the beds still leave room for a dresser and/or desk? And use the wall space, too, for shelving.

Sorry if I'm being dense, but I feel like I'm missing something. True, I'm not the best at math, but this would seem to work??
  • nighthack95
    10 years ago
    My grandsons have the L shape and it creates lots of floor space. Also have you considered removing the closet door and replacing with a curtain or a "barn" sliding door? Then you don't lose floor space to the swing of the door.
  • PRO
    Rustica Hardware
    10 years ago
    You might want to consider Bypass Barn Door Hardware if you don't have enough room along the wall for a regular barn door. See: http://rusticahardware.com/category/barn-door-hardware/bypass-hardware-doors/#browsingArea
  • PRO
    In Style Modern
    10 years ago
    I like suzzane_m's and dianahb's suggestion, that's probably the best route to go
  • kteachdc
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I was using an 80" bed frame sample from a bed I was considering purchasing online...but that also included a headboard and bed frame. I just assumed that 80" was typical if I wanted a head/foot board. So my measurements will not accommodate 80" beds easily. Maybe I need to research other sizes, or forgo the headboard idea.

Also, my closet door swings inward, so that's not a problem for my space, really. And like I said before, I have a window seat in front of the left hand (smaller) window, so I'd really like to find a way to keep that clear, if possible.

These are all fantastic ideas, everyone! Thank you!
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    kteachdc: Our daughter's double bed is 6-1/2 feet long (79 inches) and 4-1/2 wide (54" wide), and that includes everything. So what you're talking about is more like a double bed, (or possibly an extra-long twin?). So, yes-- you would have trouble fitting in what are essentially two double beds.
    If you haven't bought it yet, I would research regular twin beds, and then you're not going to have a problem. Depending on the beds, you could also find, separately, really unique headboards to put on the wall-- that work like a piece of wall art, too (ie, colorful wicker headboard, for instance). Anyway-- here's a chart of standard bed sizes; it might help: http://www.csgnetwork.com/bedsizes.html
    kteachdc thanked dbh
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    I used that web site to base the drawing of your layout. I made a mistake, I was readind the fourth row of the table instead of the third row. So, will re-draw the layout later using a 75" long bed instead of 80". That offers more possibilities :)
  • kathy
    10 years ago
    a standard single mattress is 39" x 75", but with a headboard and maybe footboard, you'll easily add 4" to the length and at least 2 - 4" to the width. If you plan on the bed total being 42 x 80, you should be close enough for this level of planning.

And as mentioned above a standard double is 54" x 75" - and a queen is bigger still.

One of our rooms had a bookcase headboard - so makes the total bed longer - maybe 10"-12" longer - but it was good for books, a lamp etc. But if you get bunkbeds, then you have the option at sometime in the future to put the beds up ( at 2 and 5 yrs old, I also would suggest you wait for the girls to grow up a little before putting someone in a top bunk).

I also shared a room with my sister in a room woth bunkbeds - in winter they were bunkbeds but in summer they were down as 2 separate beds. This was when air conditioning was a luxury so even those few feet made a difference in temperature in a room.
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    kteachdc, is having a desk important to you?
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    kteachdc, This is another one. I tried not to block the left window. I wrote the space you have to walk around so you can decide if you are ok with this space.
  • PRO
    Linda
    10 years ago
    How about an L shaped corner setup where you have an upper bed and then the foot end of the lower bed fits underneath the upper. That way you could keep the top bed somewhat lower than a classic bunk bed

One of my childhood friends shared a room with her sister. They had a raised single bed probably 42-48" tall. Then the other bed rolled out from underneath like a trundle except that it was a regular height. When I stayed over, they had a rollaway bed and there was still tons of room in there...I remember being jealous of having so much space in their room, even if it was shared.
    kteachdc thanked Linda
  • kteachdc
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Suzanne_m, I really like that last plan you drew out....I'm gonna show it to the hubby tonight and maybe move the twin bed that's already in there currently to try out the positioning. Thank you! And, no desk is necessary for now....they are 2 and 4 years old. I was more concerned about having at least one dresser as the closet is VERY small (not a walk in, like it looks like in my floorplan!).
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    You are welcome. I hope your husband will like it too.
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    i've seen beds like Linda describes, where one bed is up about 3.5-4'. i think that could work, and you'd be able to put a short dresser under the foot of the upper bed for extra storage.
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    Let us know how this work out. You could also add a 12" deep bookcase by the left window.
  • ayla_frvryoung
    9 years ago
    I have a problem with our room, my sister and I have the same room but we dont share bed we have our own beds. My problem is, her bed has a header but my bed doesnt haave a header.And It doesnt look good.I mean its not good to look at. please help me guys!!! how can i fix it??
  • dbh
    9 years ago
    Do you mean a headboard? If you have the wall space behind the bed, you could always put something up there that looks like an attached headboard. Check out these wicker headboards on Etsy. I've attached screenshots, but if you simply Google wicker headboards-- one could look really nice on the wall, behind your bed (if that's what you mean by 'header').
  • tnischik
    9 years ago

What did you end up doing? I have a similar situation, but our girl's room is 9 x 12.5. I'd love to know how you resolved it?

• rrous30
    9 years ago

We did bunk beds for our two girls. Later when one went off to college, I bought the younger one a trundle bed so when sis came back for the summer or having friends over. It allowed more space for a dresser or book shelf.

• ajay shah
    7 years ago
    nice
  • Moto Pasi
    2 years ago

I Think you'll need a bunk bed. Canopy beds may also be good because each person will enclose themselves to give a sense of privacy in the same room.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations