Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elisad77

Help curb appeal

I have an hoa so I can't do anything crazy. How can I liven up my front yard?? The tree in the front has grown so it doesn't block as much of the house as it is in this picture. I was trying to get the tree cut down but the arborist convinced me to leave it. I have to leave the stucco color but I'm open to suggestions for the trim, doors, and shutter. I really like to paint white around the windows. I'm just not sure what to do.

Comments (81)

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have 2 roots surfacing now
  • Sharon Sullivan
    10 years ago
    Here is a formula for planting a tree near a building : The height of the tree at maturity divided by 2 equals the distance in Feet from the planting hole to the building
    I hope this helps ppl with placement of their trees on their property
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Too bad the developers didn't use this, the tree was here before us and almost every neighbor on my street has the same tree. Of course mine is growing like a weed compared to theirs. Good to know since I plan on planting in our back yard.
  • Dar Eckert
    10 years ago
    It is not a ginko, they have fan shaped leaves. It looks like it could be some kind of fruit tree like plum.

Keep the tree and plant flowers instead of grass.

DIY Front Yard Makeover · More Info
  • happyasaclam
    10 years ago
    It's not a ginko. I'm tempted to think it may be an ornamental pear. These trees do not produce pears. They were introduced from China. Does it produce lots of white flowers in the spring?
    Business_Name_Placeholder thanked happyasaclam
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes it does have white flowering in the spring. Small white flowers before the leaves grow.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Very small tight white flowers
  • happyasaclam
    10 years ago
    It sounds like some variety of ornamental pear then. They are very popular landscaping trees because they do grow fast. But the variety, site conditions, weather, etc. can all affect their growth habit. The surfacing roots will start to cause problems soon. Again, I advise you cut the tree now before it damages your walkways, driveway and foundation. Remember, at some point landscaping has be renewed just like repainting. There are many plants like purple fountains grass or juniper bushes that will add textural and color interests to your front yard that will not block the front of you house. Do a search here on Houzz for low growing perennials. Make it an adventure!
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for your help.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    From what I've read about the tree it's not very long living
  • happyasaclam
    10 years ago
    That's right, they're not. Commercial landscapers use them because they reach maturity faster than other trees and are showy sooner.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Do you happen to know what I can expect cost wise to have it removed?? Just a quesstimate?
  • printesa
    10 years ago
    We have these trees here, too (East Coast). Here they grow tall, but not very wide. From what I was told, the root is usually double the size of the crown. The pear tree doesn't seem to have a very wide root. Builders, in general, don't think of these things. I have to remove an evergreen, which is next to my driveway so that I avoid future damage. This I learned from my landscaping architect. You could have it removed and whoever removes it can take it and reuse it somewhere else, where it fits. See what would work in your area.
  • happyasaclam
    10 years ago
    You would have to call your aborist to see. We just had three trees a little smaller than yours removed and a bunch of big dead limbs cut out of our oak tree for about $1,300.00, but that is here in Texas where you can hire anybody to do it. We hired a guy that was insured and bonded and had an excellent reputation. I know California is much more heavily regulated than Texas. Just make sure before you hire someone that he is approved by your HOA and is up to date on California requirements. Make sure he has insurance or that he is bonded. Even though he will look at your tree, the access, neighbors fences, etc., before he gives you an estimate, make sure and ask him when he shows up to do the job to tell you if he sees anything that will cause him a problem. It is better to have him walk away from the job than to be right in the middle and come and tell you he has a problem. Our guy cracked our driveway and broke the side mirrors off of his truck on our fence. He did a great job on the trees but we would rather he have told us he couldn't do the job because he couldn't get through our gate! BTW, I emailed my husband (a professional forester) your pics and he said it is a Bradford pear, which is a type of ornamental pear.
    Business_Name_Placeholder thanked happyasaclam
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks. I'll give the arborist a call.
  • Shan
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I live in SoCal (SD). We had a similar tree in our front yard. Chinese Pistachio. I HATED IT! The roots were HUGE surface roots because when they plant these trees, they start out so small, but they do not dig a deep enough hold to plant them down in to train roots grow down so what you end up with is a tree searching for water and HUGE damaging surface roots. These types of trees are way too big for this sqft of yard. Also, your main sewer line is most likely under that driveway. Those roots can already be growing that way and that becomes a HUGE expensive nightmare usually not covered under home owners insurance. This has happened to lots of my neighbors. The roots from my tree, when they removed it, were training my foundations about 50 feet down the side of my house. My home is very similar to yours in that we don't have much front yard, although I do have a bit more than you. I say this from experience.. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease!!" Call the person in charge of your HOA design committee and have them come look at what it’s doing as far as damage to your property. Then follow up via email with pictures and what you discussed. In the end, my HOA paid to take down that tree because it was causing a potential sewer, sprinkler and sidewalk. (it sucks but you have to think Liability if a kid or someone trip over your roots!) I suggest either NO TREE (find out if it's actually "required" to have one) or possibly a Crape Myrtle. It does well in warm and cold weather, comes in a variety of pretty non messy colors, and doesn't have root issues. It's planted all over So Cal. Probably an approved tree in your HOA docs. It is in mine.

BTW - Not all my neighbors have a tree in their front yard, so make sure it’s actually required for you to have one. To be honest, trees are great, if you have room. Your front footage is just too narrow to support a tree anyway. I say jazz up the curb appeal up with better pavers/stonework directing focus to front door, a new front door or just paint it contrasting (approved) color, change the top panel of garage door to include windows, and plant some colorful plants (not bushes) around front that won’t cause water rot to that wood railing...

That's my 2 cents worth...Good luck. If you want, I can show you a before and after of my front yard. It’s a huge difference. All work approved through our super anal and strict HOA team.
  • happyasaclam
    10 years ago
    It is very expensive to try to move a tree and have it planted somewhere else unless it is quite small. Even then the mortality rate can be high. If someone wants to buy it from you and pay to have it moved, I'd say go for it as long as he can do it without damaging your property! You would have to deal with the hole that is left, though.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hoa doesn't require a tree but you need to get permission before planting one, go figure lol. They do require the stump to removed. Too many people were cutting them down leaving a stump.
  • happyasaclam
    10 years ago
    Oh! Take Shan's advice!! We don't have HOA's in our town. Subdivisions just grow up willy nilly......
  • PRO
    Robert
    10 years ago
    First and foremost,try and emphasis your front door by moving the tree,maybe you can plant it in the back garden.Moving the tree is going to open up space to help you grow a few flowering plants or put some pots to add color to your outdoors.Removing the present hedge is also a good idea,instead you could plant some flowering bushes.This will give you both privacy as well as flowering plants.The best will be to make the front door your main focus so that it gives a symmetry to the house and makes it looks good.
  • Shan
    10 years ago
    Here are some of our Before and after pics: before pic was taken 5 years earlier than landscape was done, but you get the point. Tree was way bigger and roots were bad by time we tore stuff up..

After 3 years ago: is has been way easier yard to maintain, much more useful, all underground drip water system and low drought plantings..LOW MAINTENANCE..

Since then, we actually replaced the front basic metal door with a solid wood mahogany door, Tuscan Style with black flat iron accessories. We also had a side gate made to match.
    Business_Name_Placeholder thanked Shan
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for your tips and advice. I doubt they would pay for the tree to be removed because those trees are just about in front of every house. Most are not as big as mine but a few are much bigger with the same front yard setup. Doesn't hurt to try.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Arborist is coming out Tomorrow :) my front porch railing and balusters are going to be repaired. So I'm keeping the stucco color and trim and would love a pop of color at the door but the cream pop outs and reddish brown shutters, dark trim, dark railing is throwing me off and I cant visualize paint colors together. It is the hardest thing for me to do. So keeping the stucco and trim what do you think would work for shutters, door, railing, balusters?? The stucco is sienna sand frazee and trim is balsam bark frazee
  • PRO
    Kathy Henry Exterior Design
    10 years ago
    Shan, LOVE it. Love the olive tree and it looks like DG? Elisa, you're in So Cal, the trend is toward sustainable plantings like Shans'. (Drought tolerant, permeable paving etc.) It's not a ginko tree, but I can't tell what it is...Anyway, I would brighten up that front door with a color and I would remove the tree because it's too big and poorly placed right in the center. Builders will do that! I would tear out the grass and the little planter altogether and have nothing but plantings, much like Shan's photo.
  • happyasaclam
    10 years ago
    How about an azure or burnt orange (tawny orange) for the front door? Since it is not centered in the middle of your home I'm not sure white would be right.
  • happyasaclam
    10 years ago
    I also think you should stick to colors that are two or three shades lighter then the stucco for the trim and two or three shades darker for the shutters. Do not use the color for the front door on the shutters or trim. The shutters need to stay darker than the stucco. I think the railing should be the same color as the shutters.
  • happyasaclam
    10 years ago
    I still think anything you can do to break up the boxy look of the house with the landscaping would be the best way to go. In front of the railing put plants that have the same overall look as a ferns. Nothing that will grow taller than the railing and nothing that needs to be trimmed. With the tree gone you will be able to grown more sun loving plants. How about some pot plants on the walks where there will be enough room? A dwarf tree grown in a container would be very nice in the proper spot.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks! I've already have pulled a total of 4 ficus trees two in the narrow walkway that grew taller than the second floor and 2 between the my house and my height in the back. The roots were cracking my concrete and lifting the pavers.
  • happyasaclam
    10 years ago
    I'm so glad you removed the ficus trees before they caused more damage! I was wondering if a dwarf citrus tree grown in a large container would survive your winters?
  • printesa
    10 years ago
    Here is an idea with large containers. You could use them between your neighbor (event along the driveway). The pots don't need to be this large.
    AMS Landscape Design Studios, Inc. · More Info
  • happyasaclam
    10 years ago
    Gorgeous, printesa! If that hedge to the right of your walk on the picture can be removed, pots with free form trees would look so much more natural than that rectangular groomed hedge. They would still provide a screen you and your neighbor. The hedge is so high, it is blocking light on that side of your home. Hopefully it is on your property and not your neighbor's so you can do what you wish to do (with your HOA's approval, of course) with your landscaping. We can't see the driveway side so maybe you would have room for something like this on that side.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry my last post was a mess distracted. The two ficus trees were in the backyard between my house and the neighbors. They were growing into both houses.
    Great idea about the potted trees!
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I email my hoa. Here is her response

Hi Elisabeth,

Thank you for updating us on your tree situation. This tree is homeowner responsibility and if you do decide to remove the tree, it must be replaced with an approved tree. I've attached the list of approved trees. If you don't choose one of the approved trees, you must than fill out the ARC Application for approval.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Any tree removed from the property will be the owner’s responsibility to replace. An architectural request is required to remove and replace a tree. Tristania or Bottle Tree types are pre-approved and do not require ARC submittal

So I emailed back saying I'd rather not have one because the of the small space. She replied to email her a pic and the board would discuss it. My neighbor is on the board.
  • happyasaclam
    10 years ago
    Oh Gee Whiz! E-mail her photos of the damage the ficus tree roots have caused along with photos of the Bradford pear's roots that are growing above ground and firmly tell her you do not want the Bradford pear to damage your foundation, driveway and walks. I hope you get along with your neighbor that is on the board....... Both of the trees she mentioned grow fast and big! Are there any people in your neighborhood that cut their tree and did not replace it with something else?
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I pulled out the ficus trees without permission. I figured it was ok because 2 were towards the back walkway and the other 2 were in my backyard. Get along great with my neighbor! I googled the 2 she "pre approved" and noticed they grow just as fast and large, lol. Got to love hoa's Yes, a lot of my neighbors have pulled them out and didn't replace them.
  • Dar Eckert
    10 years ago
    Sorry, Shan, I like the before photo better than after. I prefer trees.
  • happyasaclam
    10 years ago
    Hum... I don't know whether to tell you to talk to your neighbor and try to sway her to your side or to talk to the neighbors that removed their trees and didn't replace them to see how they got away with it or to get the HOA to approve removing the tree and then just don't replace it! What A Pain! Think on it awhile before you decide how to proceed. Crazy!!
  • printesa
    10 years ago
    Given the small space you have in front, you are better off with something that doesn't grow very tall,,,maybe a small olive tree or a potted tree? Most tree need a big space to develop.
  • fos5
    10 years ago
    IFirst I would remove the railing and spindles, it serves no purpose and fights with the exterior of your home. Plant a colorful flower garden in front of that walk way to the front door from garage. Paint your front door in a light and bright color (if aloud) to draw attention to your entrance rather than your garage. Is the tree a flowering dog wood, if so what color, as the color could be used again on your front door and in flowering plants along the walk way.
  • happyasaclam
    10 years ago
    BTW, we won't mention the ficus trees. Ssshhhhh.
  • happyasaclam
    10 years ago
    The tree is a Bradford Pear. It is non-native to the US. It is an import from China.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'd rather not have one because the small space. If I had a huge yard would be a total different story.
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    I have found that in my area we have a list of invasive species and there is a county requirement to actually remove those invasive plants/trees from the owners property (at the owners expense). However, a vast majority of the HOA boards have no idea about the list or the trees on the list!

I bet you have a similar list in CA of invasive tree species and it is possible that your board isn't familiar with your invasive species list either. Use the information on the list and the photos you have of the root damage to bolster your argument to not replace the tree. Sometimes the boards just need a rational argument to approve the requested change. Good luck :)
  • Shan
    10 years ago
    Dan. I appreciate your choice because I like trees as well! That said, we still have the same #of trees as we did before, which is just the one. And the before pic was taken when that tree was much smaller back in 2003. It was substantially larger by the time we had to take it down.

With our new landscape, what we don't have to deal with is large, invasive tree roots sucking the life out of all the other plants and damaging our property. We have planted more water conserving succulents and potted plants on underground lines and drips. It fit our busy lifestyle, which calls for low maintenance. As a bonus, our water bill has dropped by 50% as well.

If we had more space, we would have more trees. But tress need proper space to grow. Sadly with these small front footage SoCal tract homes, trees such as the one we had have, and in the case of elisad77, they have no place being in a small front yard like these. We do have 3 fruit tress in the back and 3 - 8x10 iron arbors down the side of our house that have trumpet vines that are in full bloom most of the year, if that counts. Our backyard sits on top of a HUGE hill, which we have nothing but trees and shrub down below.. You sorta gotta do what's best for your location. Make the best of it. That's what we feel we did with our makeover.
  • happyasaclam
    10 years ago
    Given enough time almost any plant will outgrow its space. Landscaping is not a do it one time and never have to do it again. When plants outgrow their space, take them out and start over, but that shouldn't mean that you can't change it up a bit. Painting is not a paint it once and never have to paint it again. Why not change up colors and styles. How did we get so short sighted? Having to jump through hoops to do these necessary things takes a lot of the pleasure out of home ownership.
  • happyasaclam
    10 years ago
    You go Shan and Denita! Voices of reason!
  • Shan
    10 years ago
    See Dan, we do have trees...We sit on the deck off our master and look at all these beautiful trees..Granted, its not quite as lush as Northern Cal, but it will have to do..
  • happyasaclam
    10 years ago
    Gorgeous, Shan!
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Shan, my backyard is very similar to yours! Today on my run, I was checking out the houses. I kept stopping to snap pictures. There were many houses that no longer had trees. Also a few that just butchered them recently which is a big no no. I was thinking in regards to the front porch railing. Maybe I could remove the center column?
  • Shan
    10 years ago
    Personally, I would remove it...IF it's not a structural post. You should get pros advice on it. They may say you need to beef up each end column to support the roof-line. Again, I would get someone out to give you an free estimate on taking it down. Lots of contractors would take a look at it for you and offer some solutions. Without that center post, you'd have a better and less obstructed view. :)
Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures