Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cgoodie

Added niches, now I don't know what to do with them!

Cathy Goodman
10 years ago
See before and after...quite proud of results. But be careful what you ask for....I insisted that my husband add these niches on each side. Now I can't find just the right stuff to put in them... Also plan to replace too traditional ceiling fan. Suggestions for niches?

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Kelli Kaufer Designs
    10 years ago
    They need to be big enough items as to create a picture box with in the niche. Nice photos decoenthusiaste!
    Cathy Goodman thanked Kelli Kaufer Designs
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Thanks, Kelli! Hope they're helpful! Nice challenge to have!
    Cathy Goodman thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Cathy Goodman
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow! There are some great things in those photos...and the scale is very near mine. Thanks, Decoenthusiaste! And, while we're at it ladies, would you put mantle over fireplace or just go with large piece of art or mirror?
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    I'd go with large piece of art...mantel will break up visual impact
    Cathy Goodman thanked dclostboy
  • Cathy Goodman
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That's my feeling as well. Have been searching for something for months. If I love it, I get sticker shock... or my husband thinks it's too girly. People are very proud of their abstract art.
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    I'm a huge fan of auctions for art...find something you love, something that works, and something that's a mini investment to boot. Just means you have to be patient about finishing.
    Cathy Goodman thanked dclostboy
  • Cathy Goodman
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    dclostboy - Auctions would be fun! However, living in rural east Texas, they are a bit hard to find. But, I do agree that I need to look at the art as an investment. If in nothing else, my total ejoyment of my space. Thanks!
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    Great makeover. Is that white Christmas tree to the far right?
  • Cathy Goodman
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes! And I love it...here's a better shot. The reno was barely finished at this point (last Christmas) but tree is up! ;o)
  • PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    10 years ago
    While I am always happy to help a client find something that "works", I always start a project looking over their "stuff". Objects that mean something to you and fit a design aesthetic are preferred over newly bought items.

Do you have favourite items from your early days together, from travels, inehrited treasures? Do you store away candlesticks and items for table service that could be featured? What did you have in mind when installing these very nice niches?

You can go formal and balanced, eclectic and varied, unify with a particular material (glass, metal) or blend shapes.
  • Cathy Goodman
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh, Garden Oaks, I am so divested of memorabilia....any "memories" I have are limited to family pictures and my mother's china (Wedgewood Kutani Crane). This has come about because of two international moves in the last three years and my dislike of knicknacks and clutter. So, I am open to anything. My original vision was tall vases and interesting sculpture.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Interesting sculpture of metal or glass.
  • KD
    10 years ago
    @Beth Thompson Even if you don't have items, you can still use your past experiences to give you ideas on what sort of items to look for. Since you mention two international moves, maybe you could find some things that would remind you of those? (Assuming they're good memories, anyway. :) ) Or try to go and do things that are experiences and an opportunity to pick up a piece - if you travel anywhere, try to fit in a visit to a shop that might sell local artwork, for example.

I think even if you've found pieces you can do this, unless you're in love with the stuff you've already found. Short term you might get some things that just look better than empty niches, and plan to replace them with more meaningful items or items you really really love as you come across things.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I agree that the niches could benefit from a unifying theme. They would be perfect for some kind of collection.
  • PRO
    NOAHS AR'CH'
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Hi Cathy,
    I love the elegant, minimalist approach you've taken. Hence, please avoid placing huge artifacts, heavy contrasts, etc on those niches. you'll spoil the whole look. Those niches should be filled in with anything that doesn't look too "filled", heavy or "stand-outs". Rather, fill it with subtle yet elegant pieces. It could be metallic objects, some metal-based candles, a group of polished stones, geometric (sphere) or organic forms, plain glass or crystal objects, books, etc - but all in neutrals with only very little tinges of colour here & there. But any metallic finish would be okay. If you want to fill the wall above the fire place go for a black & white painting or a washed down water-colour painting. Please refer the pics for reference.
    And I would definitely say "NO mantle, please!"
  • PRO
    NOAHS AR'CH'
    9 years ago
    Pic-1 Example of simple objects-1, pic-2 - minimalist approach (notice the neutral shades, centre piece in geometric forms, etc), pic-3- niche filled with books, candle stands, etc; pic-4 washed-down water colour painting
  • User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Year old thread.

Maybe the original poster will return and show us her updated niches!