Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sondramartina

How to modify this art without destoying it ?

sondramartina
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I am thinking of adding some colour to this black & white art on my wall. I bought it on sale for 25 $ and I had it for some time,size is good but I feel like I need some colour on that wall. .I am not an artist and my idea was not to re-create same scene but to somehow add colours even if it just become an abstract painting . I have enough acrylic paints and brushes .Am I going to destroy it? Is there any beginners technique for this ?
Thanks

Comments (25)

• Debp
    10 years ago
    Is it on canvas? Could you post a close up of it so we can see if there are any areas that could be highlighted?
    sondramartina thanked Debp
  • cmcole01
    10 years ago
    i love the artwork as is. i would not recommend you try to add color to the print (but i am not crafty). I'd suggest replacing it (and relocating it somewhere else) or leave as is and add color elsewhere in the room maybe with pillows, rug. have you thought about changing wall color? then you could leave the artwork.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Changing the color would be permanent.... How upset would you be if you ruined it or got sick of the color? I would add colors to the overall room without touching the picture. I would love to see pops of red- throw, pillows. Maybe you could add other artwork that has more color. Not sure what your other walls have on them.
    sondramartina thanked User
  • PRO
    AliciaTappDesigns Images on Tiles
    10 years ago
    If it's on canvas.. get some acrylic or watercolor paint ... water the colors down so they are transparent and very thin ( Do not add white) .. dip a small rag or sponge into the color and just spread on the pic in small areas and wipe away.. After each layer dries go over it again .. keep layering this way so some ares are translucent and some areas there is a build up of color.. and good luck : )
    sondramartina thanked AliciaTappDesigns Images on Tiles
  • sondramartina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I think it is on fiberboard not canvas.
    I would not be be upset if I ruin it but then I would have to look for something else for that wall and that would not be easy to find.
  • janeinfo
    10 years ago
    I've never done anything like you are asking, BUT I have seen one done and the results were ehh......Maybe it was just the artist. Have you thought of investing in a heavy black frame and adding more colors in your pillows on your sofa?
  • PRO
    AliciaTappDesigns Images on Tiles
    10 years ago
    Change the color of the frame to yellow and add some of the pillow colors from janeinfo
    sondramartina thanked AliciaTappDesigns Images on Tiles
  • sondramartina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Close up shot
  • juliewatsonklassen
    10 years ago
    What about just adding color to one item only - eg. the bike or a boat - say red - and then add some cushions - pick a fabric that also has a hint of red in it.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    If you feel confident, why not paint the second bicycle blue, lamp post green, trash bin another color - use vibrant tones so the items you highlight will pop.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Except for your rug, your room is very monochromatic with similar tones of gray, so there is very little contrast, which is part of what you may be craving.

Adding color to an existing photograph or piece of art is very tricky. If you really want to do this, I would suggest finding a photograph of around 8 1/2" x 11", photocopying it and practicing on it. That way, you'll have a better idea if you like the outcome. Make a few copies and practice with different types of color: paint, markers pastels and colored pencils.

However, I actually think you would be better off re-framing that photo in black with a white matte, finding two tall, narrow prints to hang on either side of the photo with some warm color, paint that wall a warm accent color like a brick red, then pulling that color with some burnt orange, pale grassy green and burnt golds into accent cushions, throw, and accessories. I also think your plant is too small for the space and gets lost. You need something of a larger scale.

I've overlayed some of these types of things onto your own photo to show you how it would look without painting the wall, and added a color pallette to show you the types of colours that could really warm up the whole room.

I hope this helps! Good luck!
    sondramartina thanked User
  • sondramartina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It seem that I would probably just ruin this art on the wall :( but I think I will try anyways once I make back up plan.
    Few more photos,open for suggestions. Thank you all.
  • sondramartina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    These photos are current room,second one is (bad) panorama .
  • PRO
    Perth Interiors
    10 years ago
    How about replacing the current frame with a solid wide, red frame, Ikea may have some (about 3" wide). You could also replace the blue cushions with some red and black ones
  • Mark
    10 years ago
    Maybe you could work with colored transparent sheets. Instead of paints, you could lay transparent sheets over top of the image where you want color. You will still be able to see the print through the sheets so it would color the picture in the areas you want and you could experiment with it for along time trying different colors until your happy. This way it won't ruin the print. http://www.amazon.com/Impact-Images-Colored-Transparent-Sheets/dp/B003XX99V2
  • PRO
    The Couture Haus Interior Design
    10 years ago
    You could try color blocking your picture- is an easy way to pull in some extra color and emphasize a simple black and white photo. You could also add some colorful pillows to add interest and warmth to the room.
  • Amy Cali
    10 years ago
    Just buy a natural colored thick wood frame and paint it a bright color of your choice. It will have a great impact and your pic will not get ruined.
  • sondramartina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So I scrapped the idea of painting over black and white art but I found these for that wall. I did not purchased them yet. Would they be too much ? Please share your opinions. Thanks
  • PRO
    Twinkle and Whistle
    10 years ago
    Hi "sondramartina"!

Great little find! They won't be too much at all, but you want to make sure they are the right size for your wall. I'm not too sure of how small/large they are, but here are some questions you want to ask yourself:
    - if you lined up the 4 of them, will they fit comfortably between the two wall lights? Or are they going to look as if they're squeezed in between them?
    - if you put them in a squarish kind of arrangement (two by two), is the composition going to look smaller than the current artwork?

Again, I'm not sure of the size, but if you could source two extras, you might be better putting them in a 3 by 2 arrangement (2 rows of 3 prints). It should fit well in your space and give a proper focus point to your room.

The suggestion of changing your cushions in order to add colours and patterns is also a good one. Use colours that are featured on the prints and don't overdo it (mix colourful cushions with some more neutral ones, patterned cushions with plain ones, etc) The success of a design is in maintaining a balance.

I hope this helps.

And don't forget to show us the end result!

Kind regards,

Nelly Reffet of Twinkle and Whistle.
    sondramartina thanked Twinkle and Whistle
  • Patunya
    10 years ago
    here's a good example of what you can do to make the painting more alive. Good luck :)
    sondramartina thanked Patunya
  • rheasawhney1
    10 years ago
    If you really wanted to add colour hen you should first look for inspirations. They can look really trendy but you should not over do it. Match the colours with the interior designing with the room. I think you should use so,etching like acrylic paint to add some touches on the small details with a thin brush. The pictures below are are how your painting could look. It is very retro and smart in some paintings. On your painting, look for some areas which do not have little drawings on, a clear space. You should balance the amount of colour used and when you out some colour in one place then add some in another further away from the area. Oil pastels could be used as well or chalk but you have tone really careful with that as it can cause a mess. I hope I helped.
    sondramartina thanked rheasawhney1
  • dkvhaus
    10 years ago
    Mark's idea (above)

Colored Cellophane Overlay.
    Look for rolls of colored cellophane. A thin overlay on top of the print will tint it whichever color you choose. You can always change it to suit your mood.
    sondramartina thanked dkvhaus
  • sondramartina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The latest layout is this one ,thank you all. I might try to experiment with colored cellophane :)
  • sondramartina
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    And little red pillow