Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitehill

kitehill
12 years ago
Could you tell me what flooring was used here...name, company, colour...thanks!
Master Hall · More Info

Comments (9)

• taracoughlin
    12 years ago
    I love your work. You are really good!
  • taracoughlin
    12 years ago
    Could you give me the info on how you did the base board with the walk way trim
  • PRO
    dSPACE Studio Ltd, AIA
    11 years ago
    Tara - The floors are rift & quarter sawn white oak with a custom blend dark stain. Regarding your baseboards question - the baseboards are a custom design made from poplar wood that we had milled based on our architectural drawings. Custom milled baseboards are suprisingly reasonable in price and give a unique quality to the home. Thanks for asking and good luck with your projects - dSPACE
  • debbie1559
    11 years ago
    Could you tell me what was the blend of stain to achieve this color? We are having our white oak floors refinished and stained. Thank you!
  • PRO
    dSPACE Studio Ltd, AIA
    11 years ago
    Debbie, Thank you for your question. We had two coats of an custom stain blend that is 50% ebony with 50% chocolate applied onto a rift and quarter sawn white oak floor. The final finish is a polyurethane coat for a long lasting and durable floor. Good luck with your project.

dSPACE Studio's portfolio of work can been seen at www.dspacestudio.com
  • christine1ca
    11 years ago
    dSPACE--thank you! Gorgeous--am sending this pic to my refinisher with your info above.

One question--I have read elsewhere on houzz that water-based poly will give a plastic-y look to the wood? I am 36 weeks pregnant and they are doing the floors next week. Last thing before we move in, so for both time and the absence of fumes, the water-based seems like a better idea, but I don't want to sacrifice years of looking good to be able to move in sooner. Is the above oil or water-based?
  • PRO
    dSPACE Studio Ltd, AIA
    11 years ago
    The floor above has an oil based polyurethane applied to it. We like the oil based polyurethane on dark hardwood flooring applications because the amber tone in the oil adds depth to the flooring finish, and it is a very durable long lasting product. However, it takes longer to install than water based, and you would need to give the fumes more time to dissipate after installation. There are mixed opinions out there on the durability and longevity of water-based poly finishes. Water-based is typically better in an installation with a lighter stain where you don't want any of the amber tone from the oil based poly to influence the color of the hardwood floors, or where you need a finish with low fumes/quicker installation time. But keep in mind, the water based polyurethane may need to be re-applied more often then oil based. In both cases its important to have a quality installer who can tell you which brands he recommends, and the benefits of each. Thank you for your question and good luck with your project!
  • christine1ca
    11 years ago
    thank you so much! i will look at swatches of both tomorrow and go from there.