Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rschliem

Vinyl Plank or Vinyl Sheet Flooring?

rschliem
10 years ago
As we have kids and a highly active environment, with high traffic, we feel Vinyl is best for our needs, low maintenance desires, and budget. Have you ever bought or used this type of flooring before? What kind or how thick should I be considering? I have seen some nice ones in wood and stone styles, with the open living room to kitchen to hallway, what kind of pattern suits this space. (Kitchen and Dining will be repainted (Perhaps the cabinets too)

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Milestone Design Ltd
    10 years ago
    In my experience, vinyl plank or tile is more durable long term, more visually pleasing than than sheet vinyl. Thickness to look for is minimum 2.5mm, 3mm if you can get it. My advice on colour would be to choose something that blends with your worktop colour, bringing your horizontal surfaces together and creating the colour platform on which to build your other furniture.
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    i like planks. i think they're easier to install, and there's not the wait for the glue to dry before you can step on it.

i used to sell vinyl plank that was 8mm thick, so i would say get the thickest you can afford.
  • solincia
    10 years ago
    I have sheet linoleum in the kitchen--not by choice--and it's the easiest thing to clean. No seams, no little cracks for dirt to hide. I know it's not the most popular thing anymore, but it works well (and more of a natural product than vinyl).
  • PRO
    DirectBuy of Fort Worth
    10 years ago
    I have luxury vinyl plank and LOVE it. It is in my home and in my showroom and I have no issues with it at all. Mannington is one of my favs because of all the styles they offer.
  • Meghan
    10 years ago
    When we added on a mudroom and garage we were going to go with vinyl in the mudroom but laminate ended up costing the same price so we went with the laminate. I'd check all of your options before limiting yourself to just one material :)
  • Darrel Austin
    10 years ago
    I'd never go with sheet vinyl anymore. It's typically thin, and has a tacky reputation. I'd consider sheet linoleum, however. That's an all natural product and tends to come in (for whatever reason) a more palatable range of colors for me. For install ease and looks, however, I think the plank vinyl isn't too shabby. I'd go with that over the sheet anyday.
  • PRO
    Michelle Scott for Ethan Allen - Laguna Niguel, CA
    9 years ago
    I have seen some amazing vinyl plank flooring - and for an active household - I think it's a great option for the more casual spaces. I like it better than many laminates even.
  • PRO
    Kosta's Inc.
    9 years ago
    Is the vinyl plank flooring better than laminate flooring? We are looking to put in the look of hardwood for our rental home. Thanks!
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    9 years ago
    There are terrific vinyl products that mimic limestone and wood. Go to a quality flooring store and you'll be amazed!
  • John Battey
    last year

Meghan, as I'm sure you know by now, vinyl plank flooring is waterproof, while laminate plank flooring is only water resistant, and then only if the moisture is removed fairly quickly. Whoever sold you laminate for a mud room set you up to be a repeat customer.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area