0

Shades or Blinds? Which should I pick, and where should I get them?

Liz
In the beach house we are building (already way over budget, sigh), we will need privacy from the neighbors. The lots are small, and the houses close to each other. Should I go with blinds, or shades in the bedrooms? What are the relative merits of each? There are a lot of windows so we will need for whatever we use to be room darkening as well, so folks can sleep. The house is a part time rental so I can't control how people use it - things sometimes get broken. Therefore, I can't afford top if the line, but whatever we get has to be sturdy. Any thoughts and advice appreciated!

REDesign Interiors
    Here is the scoop, blinds allow you to be able to see out while maintaining a bit of privacy. They are flexible and adjustable as to the angle of light you want coming into the room. Shades are either up or down there is no in between. Shades can have UV protection coatings and room darkening properties so that is helpful. Shades would probably cost less.
    Liz thanked REDesign Interiors
  • Vicky Laflamme
    try the Sillouette style blinds, we haev them - very nice, enough privacy closed, open has the sheer fabric OR fully lift to open to the top - shop around for pricing but we love ours !!
    Liz thanked Vicky Laflamme
  • houssaon
    I have had shades on most of my windows for years and really enjoy how I can control the light. You do have more control with blinds though, but there is more work keeping them clean.
  • Vicky Laflamme
    check out Hunter Douglas on this site under blinds...some nice examples
  • Liz
    @bobblet - I love those! The light control of blinds without too much of the cleaning mess. I like shades since they are a clean look, but these seem to be the best of both worlds. It looks like these are a Hunter Douglas product?
  • Vicky Laflamme
    Yes Hunter Douglas but shop around, alot of other brands, we got ours at Blinds to Go, very nice quality and cheaper - watch for sales too :)
  • Liz
    on further consideration, how much light do they actually block? My master bedroom faces east with big windows... not great if you want to sleep in.
  • Andrea
    There's a nice roman shade at JC Penney that has two layers. The back is sheer and the front is decorative fabric of choice. The two work independent of each other allowing you to have privacy with the sheer and light control with the other.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    Lowes carries nice pleated shades. Measure inside of your window. Lowes will cut to fit for free. They are in stock. And not too pricey. Then you can buy inexpensive panels to hang on each side, to finish look. Another inexpensive way, in a beach house is bamboo shades. Lowes, Home Depot both sell measure outside of window. The length doesn't matter. They roll up. Come in color. White or dark brown is nice.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    The Lowes shades also come in black out. If you want to block sun, completely.