Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meldon

Please help with stain for built in cabinets

meldon
10 years ago
Help! we just had our fireplace in our basement stoned and these built-in cabinets built (they are pine). Before the project started I had planned to paint them white. After input from a couple people they convinced me to stain them. We chose Minwax English Chestnut.

We are halfway through the first coat and both my husband and I are really unsure. Just seems dark.. I realize it will look different with another coat and the poly on. We are sort of at a stand still.. do we carry on and complete or start sanding and start over? The walls are grey now but will be painted a cream or taupe.. I was thinking Benjamin Moore 'Wild Mushroom'. Any input on the stain or paint of the cabinets is greatly appreciated.

Comments (9)

• kathleen MK
    10 years ago
    If it seems too dark don't add a second coat even the clear poly will darken it.
    The gloss will bounce some light especially if you keep the walls and floor very light colored. If you decide to go back to the original plan for white or cream paint you might could just use Kilz primer instead trying to sand off the stain. Test several options on scrap materials. Beautiful fireplace outshines the shelves.
    meldon thanked kathleen MK
  • User
    10 years ago
    If paint, do mantle too.
    meldon thanked User
  • meldon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for the reply. We did use the Minwax Conditioner... pre-stain before. Its just the tone of the stain we are unsure about.
  • sluggodog
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I like the tone of wood -- but I'm not a fan of white cabinets anywhere.. so my opinion my not be very helpful. Beautiful and cozy basement… and you say you are painting the walls lighter.. so that will help with it not feeling too dark.
    meldon thanked sluggodog
  • PRO
    Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
    10 years ago
    OK, great that you used a conditioner, and it basically looks good as far as you've gone. If you stop where you are and try to remove what is on it, the color where you have already put stain vs. where it isn't will be different after a new stain is applied. Your best bet is to continue with what you are doing. Now for a finish. If you use a water based finish, it won't add much tone tone to the current color, where as an oil based will add some amber color. Try what you have done on some scrap wood. Make sure the sample is prepared the same way the cabinets have been.
    meldon thanked Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
  • PRO
    APK Designs LLC
    10 years ago
    Hello, when it comes to deciding what color or stain to put on woodwork, a few points need to be taken into consideration. For example, how much natural light am I receiving in this space? What are the colors of the surrounding elements in the area? The pictures help me understand that (1) this is a basement with limited daylight and (2) the palette consists of a variety of beige and brown/grey shades. If you decide to do any shade of a wood stain, the area in the picture will become a monochromatic blend of beige and brown tones without interest. Painting the woodwork white (semi gloss), you will create a focal point by drawing the eye to the fireplace. You can dare a bit more by painting this wall a different color than the rest of the room. For example, it can be a more saturated shade of the same color or one that compliments its surrounding walls, fireplace stone colors or furniture. (p.s. If it is not too late, try to add some more lighting in this area (i.e. recessed down lights in the ceiling close to wall). I hope this helps. Best of luck with your project. The built-ins are a wonderful idea in this space!
    meldon thanked APK Designs LLC
  • meldon
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Al Fortunato, Thank you! Ok I feel better about continuing on. Can I ask a bit more guidance on the next steps? Do we use the fine steel wool between staining coats? I had planned on a second coat but will it darken it that much? And how many coats of the poly? Will will go with an oil based finish. Thank you again.
  • PRO
    Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
    10 years ago
    No need to use steel wool or sandpaper between stain coats or before the first finish coat. In fact, I wouldn't add a second coat of stain. With the sealer and one coat of stain a second isn't going to make much difference. Let the stain dry for a couple of days before putting on the first coat of poly. Since you are using oil based poly, let it dry for a couple of days and then lightly sand. Using fine paper, 180 or 220 grit. Buy good quality sandpaper and don't let it get gummed up, before changing to a fresh piece. Vacuum off, wipe down with a damp cloth, let dry, and add your second coat. You may need a third with pine. If so use the same procedure.
    meldon thanked Al Fortunato Furnituremaker