Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vkilpatrick

Drapery help with very tricky window!

vkilpatrick
10 years ago
Hi everyone!
Just moved in a month ago. We have this lovely, but tricky window and window seat in our master. I can make drapes so I am planning a ceiling mounted ibeam track with a one way draw to the left. I think I'll make lined drapes with a simple wave header similar to the ones I made for our powder room (second picture). It's miles of fabric and many hours of my time so I really am looking for some confirmation that this will look right.
Should the drapes cover the entire wall on the left or should I leave a space?
Any other suggestions?
Ever so grateful for your time!
Thank you,
Vicki
Kingston, Ontario

Comments (80)

• vkilpatrick
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you! Really just a quick outline would be lovely, please don't spend too much time.
    Thanks so much, have a beautiful Christmas.
    Vicki
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Lovely----translucent coating. Now, there is a solution!
  • Katherine
    10 years ago
    Here's hoping that solution doesn't last too long for you!
    I'm likewise entombed, having snapped the chain on my garage door opener!
    Regards, and Merry Christmas!
  • PRO
    JH Interiors
    10 years ago
    Stay safe everyone!
  • vacox
    10 years ago
    Wow! Very interesting discussion, I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide to do and pictures!!
  • vkilpatrick
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Vacox!
  • PRO
    JH Interiors
    10 years ago
    These are arched valances over arched windows (pic taken at resort in Jamaica last month). You could add stationary side panels and then mount a blackout blind (Hunter Douglas Duette Architella-best choice) under the valance. I usually velcro valances to boards. Use a heavy lining for the valance, and add piping along the bottom for weight and finished appearance. The valances pictured aren't really long enough, make yours long enough to hide the trim at top of window. Short point should be 10 - 12 inches. You may need to tack the sides to the wall or a velcro strip to keep it all nice and flat. Merry Christmas!
  • vkilpatrick
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Very interesting JH Interiors... Thank you. I think I could pull that together!
    Vicki
  • vkilpatrick
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It's hard to find something that not only doesn't cover up the arch, but actually accentuates it.
  • karelina
    10 years ago
    If no one can see in your window, I'd go with the view and the interesting shape of the window and forget the curtains. The window seat would be charming and inviting with lots of pillows in bright colors and patterns in something that will coordinate with the rest of the decor.
  • PRO
    JMittman Designs
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Yes, JH--those valances are waaaaaay too short for those windows.
  • PRO
    JH Interiors
    10 years ago
    I know...wondering how I could be the designer for Iberostar hotels! Lol!
  • tiffany66
    10 years ago
    MY SUGGESTION IS
    Ignore the arch on your side since you have so little wall space above and on the sides of it. Just put a ceiling mount valance and scallop the bottom as you like, perhaps at the window separations. Install 3 shades under the valance for the windows which will be hidden by the valance when up. Add a window seat and pillows. On the right side wall put some nice pictures, a small round table and a side chair. Might even hang a little chandelier over the table.

[houzz=
    The Rivendell Manor · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Laguna Niguel, CA · More Info
    ]

Instead of a box window cushion I made a puffy one. I was in a hurry one day and took a box quilted down mattress topper folded it in half length wise and just wrapped it with Chenille quilt and set it on the seat. It looks like a cloud and only took minutes to do.

WINDOW SEATS
    [houzz=
    Private Residence · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Lady's Dressing Room · More Info
    ]
  • tiffany66
    10 years ago
    Unfortunately you just do not have enough wall space above your arch to use a valance above the window to emphasize the curve and be in proportion to the window. Here are several suggestions you might try.

Suggestion 1
    Make a roman shade that has an arched top fitted into the moulding and only folds up to the upper windows.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/williamwestorg/8255293940/

[houzz=
    kitchens · More Info
    ]

Suggestion 2
    You could use an arched rod for either a valance or drape. Sewing for this type of rod could be challenging.

http://blog.cpdcdecor.com/2011/01/14/specialty-window-series--arches-eyebrows--ovals--oh-my.aspx

Suggestion 3
    Use window film in either stained glass look or beveled glass look on the top window and use blinds or drapes on the lower window. You could even mount a decorative moulding between the windows and mount a blind underneath it. Then when it is up it is hidden from view.

http://www.decorativefilm.com/category/9-cut-glass.aspx

Suggestion 4
    Take a length of fabric and long as the measurement from the ceiling to the cushion. Bunch or pleat them at the top and hang stationary drapes on each inside corner wrapping the corner. Then add two more to either side of the front of the window seat from the ceiling. They should then be narrow enough to not disturb the view but give you plenty of color.

[houzz=
    LIving Room Window Seat · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    Julie Smart Koob, REALTOR
    10 years ago
    Had a heck of a time with my bay window. We ended up doing pleated shades for privacy and to keep the sun from fading the furniture, with a simple valance above. The valance was mounted to strips of wood and all we had to do was install them with L-brackets. Accessorize with a window cushion in coordinating fabric!
  • Katherine
    10 years ago
    Tiffany66 comment is a good idea. Pretty.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    I love how the window moulding stands out against the beautiful wall color.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    yup.
  • Vicky Laflamme
    10 years ago
    lots of ideas already...I personally love the 'sillouette' type of blinds...elegant, soft, not obtrusive, offers privacy and opening as needed. Check Hunter Douglas...not sure if you have a Blinds to Go near you or Covers. Have bought myself and these are the best prices, Home Depot sometimes has on sale. Check it out...you'll love them.
  • PRO
    Masterworks Window Fashions & Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    @bobblet - Hunter Douglas Silhouettes are only made with a straight headrail; they cannot conform to the shaped top of this window. So if the goal is to cover the entire window, as I understand the client's objectives, Silhouettes would work for a layer on the lower window, but are only a partial solution.
  • PRO
    Daybreak Workroom LLC
    10 years ago
    Where will a drapery panel fall relative to the floor register? No one seems to have asked that question and it's important when a full length panel is being discussed. If the register is too close to the "window seat" a panel may well direct all/much of the heat to the seating area... well away from the actual area you wish to heat and are hoping the drapery panel will conserve!
  • User
    10 years ago
    A few different things gleaned that might work.... one is a set of custom wooden blinds.... the others are stained glass arches. Depending on the glass used, would cut down the light yet add a definite accent to the room. A custom glass shop would be able to do them... yes I know they're not drapes for the upper...
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Wood shutters as shown in the first photo from okdokegal would work nicely, but are at the higher end of choices from a budget perspective, since they are priced like custom cabinetry for your windows. They are the only window treatment that I know of which adds appraised value to your home, since they are considered a permanent installation.

The stained glass choice gives you privacy, but not a lot of light control. For a Victorian inspired interior, they are lovely. For a modern or contemporary interior, they can be fabricated with simpler beveled glass in white or smoky glass - frosted or clear for less pattern and less color. There are also window decal choices which can be put on glass for a frosted look if the budget is tighter.

At the same time, if you choose a valance with a top curved like the window and a hem curved to retain the shape against the glass, there will be some of the glass covered up already, and you may be able to use a rectangular shade or Roman shade beneath.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Goodness yes, Daybreak is so right, that a heat source under the window seat makes a world of difference in the window treatment. Being from Austin, TX, where we have no such heating sources, I did not even notice it, and am extremely grateful to Daybreak for pointing it out!

I hate draperies that don't go to the floor, but it does seem that that is what is needed in order not to create a fire hazard for this room. Let's hear from you northerners who are used to dealing with this situation, please!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Plantation shutters would, as pointed out above, be a wonderful solution to your problem. They could be open in the daytime, or tilted to control sun exposure, or totally closed at night. Wood is a good insulating material. They are not really that expensive, perhaps $28 sq. ft., plus an upcharge for the arched top. That should give you an idea, at least, of what they would cost. You would not really have to have them with an arched top because when they are open, your window's arched top would show and when they are closed, it wouldn't matter too much.
  • PRO
    Daybreak Workroom LLC
    10 years ago
    I like the idea of treating the windows and creating more of a "nook", than having one drapery panel that would cover the wall and the opening in one pass. Some of the ideas are really interesting. I know very little about shutters, but like that idea. Is it possible to get the basic frame of a shutter and substitute a thermally lined panel of fabric for the slats (something that could be changed out seasonally, perhaps)? When closed, this would block light infiltration, add a measure of insulation, and would provide a lovely fabric screen that could perhaps be coordinated with a cushion and the other soft furnishings in the room.

I struggle with floor registers in my shop, 4 are located under windows, and are about 2" from the wall. Placing registers under the windows makes sense because that minimizes the cold infiltration, but it makes treating the windows tricky. Heat could easily find its way behind a deployed treatment, and inside mount treatments are out because the windows are tilt wash units. I've encountered the register scenario several times in other homes, too. There was an insightful comment above that brought up the point that any window treatment requires some sort of compromise; that is so true.
  • Katherine
    10 years ago
    Smart comment by Daybreak.
    @daybreak, Any chance you could look at my window in design dilemma? Thanks.
  • PRO
    Daybreak Workroom LLC
    10 years ago
    How do I find it? still fumbling around here!
  • Belle La Vue
    10 years ago
    vkkipatrick... I like your idea as proposed. Drapes all the way to the left so when they are open the whole stackback of drape will cover that wall. I think it will look nice. During the day you can open the drapes and have the beautiful window exposed. Totally get why you want to close drapes at night. I have a neighbor who likes to keep the lights on outside all night but I like dark...so I close the drapes and everyone is happy. Besides a window that is beautiful during the day is just a black hole at night and not pretty to stare into so it is great to have drapes to close.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    How about the heat from the registers?
  • vkilpatrick
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow, thanks everyone for the great comments. I shall need to sit down with a piece of paper and make some drawings!
    -I know that the view is beautiful and should not be covered, but the reality is that it is our bedroom. The street light next door is bright and I'm a terrible sleeper. Although there is no house in front of us, there is a street and a sidewalk, we do need a bit of privacy! I'm currently home with our children, but I'm an RN and there is the future possibility of night shifts (shudders).
  • vkilpatrick
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm not concerned about the heat source from a safety standpoint. It's a natural gas, forced air system so not a fire hazard that an electric baseboard heater or radiator would be. I am somewhat concerned about trapping the heat behind the drape though-especially since our bedroom is over the garage and is cooler than the rest of the house already. I just finished the drapes in our ensuite and I foolishly mounted the ceiling track too close to the wall. Rather than remove, repair, and replace, I just popped out the gaps between the waves on the header rather than have them pushed towards the wall. It was really a happy accident, as now my drapes look twice the fullness! Also, the are things that can be attached to vents to direct the warm air away from an obstruction or vents with fans inside them to increase air flow, so this is a possibility as well.
  • vkilpatrick
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I appreciate the simplicity and contemporary appearance of shutters and romans, but I feel like this grey, north-facing bedroom is really crying for some warmth and romance. I'm not sure if those of you in the south have the same issues with north facing rooms, but up here in Canada, they tend to be grey no matter what colour they are painted! Especially in the winter when it is grey and white everywhere outside as well.
    I literally have miles of double wide fabric that I got for a song so I would like to use up as much as I could. I don't think it would be appropriate for the window seat as my cat would shred it. (It's kind of the cat's spot, don't tell my husband).
    ;-)
  • vkilpatrick
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Brilliant comments everyone-I'm so grateful!
    Thank you!
    Vicki
  • vkilpatrick
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I will eventually add some fabric to the window seat, I just mean that the drapery fabric would be too fine for my feline. Would for sure need a proper upholstery fabric. Very much like the idea of carrying through with the coral colour onto the window seat as well. The idea of rolling up a duvet for the window seat is brilliant! I have a super fluffy wool duvet that I tried but it's too short (queen size) It will have to be a king size--but it looked like a cloud, just like you said! Thanks!
  • Belle La Vue
    10 years ago
    vkilpatrick... I live in the Northeast US and winters are cold and gray here as well. Even with the heat on inside you can still feel chilly and there is just something about cozy drapes that really helps to warm up a room.
  • tiffany66
    10 years ago
    vkilpatrick...Thanks for the compliment. The cloud-like look is inviting to my guests and certainly makes the room cozy in the winter.

For the seat cushion you might have better luck with a down mattress topper, or a synthetic down mattress topper they have a lot more body than just a down comforter. I just used a twin chenille spread and wrapped it like a present and fastened the edges. Since you have a cat it will be easy to remove for laundering and replaces quickly. Since it is fluffy there is no need for an exact fit.

You might need a fabric that is washable. Perhaps a matelasse coverlet (a drape, bedsheet, or plush velvety bath towel) for the seat cover. They are large and fairly inexpensive, adds color, texture and pattern. Whatever is left over from the matlesse coverlet can be used for pillows for the bed and window seat. Should stand up well to your cat's use and easy to keep clean.
  • PRO
    All About Windows Inc
    10 years ago
    Considered plantation shutters ?
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
  • gpelli
    10 years ago
    First ideas are usually the best...on tests and in window treatments. Floor to ceiling drapes that draw to the left over the wall when open. Candlelight and a wall of warm, soft drapes would give you privacy and ambiance at night, too. Your initial idea was the best! Good luck.
  • vkilpatrick
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks, gpelli!
    I think my first instinct was right as well. Can't wait get sewing. Hubs has time off over March break, I hope to be well and truly holed up in my sewing room for the entire week.
    With a few breaks to play!
  • tiffany66
    9 years ago
    Vkilpatrick, so what did you end up doing for drapery in the Master Bedroom?
  • Katy Gehlhausen
    8 years ago

What did you end up doing? I have a window- very similar (but through in an arch at the top too) that I am having trouble with. Would love to see your outcome.

• PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    8 years ago

Hey there.

I have a blog posts that may offer a little inspiration.

http://timothyriversinteriors.com/2015/04/28/the-secret-to-creating-a-killer-master-bedroom/

Happy Designing!

• Belle La Vue
    8 years ago

@Timothy Rivers Interiors. Thank you for your blog post. Very informative. I noticed that about 80% of the bedrooms posted on Houzz are upholstered beds versus wood or metal. Do you think the upholstered bed makes for the best bedroom as well?

• PRO
    8 years ago

@Timothy Rivers Interiors - very succinct and sensible blog post. Thank you for sharing. I look forward to reading some more of your blog. @Bonnie - upholstered beds are more comfortable for those who read in bed, and adaptable to many styles. They can help the bedroom look more custom and unique than most wood beds. The challenge with any headboard, as opposed to a complete bed frame, is attaching it to the metal bedframe in such a way that it won't rock and over time strip the screws. Sometimes upholstered headboards are attached to the wall instead of to the bed frame because of this. At other times, a wrap around frame which is also upholstered, with the metal bedframe below the mattress and box spring or foundation, provides additional stability for the headboard.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Did not mean to sidetrack the discussion as a whole, but just to respond to Bonnie's question, even though it was directed to Timothy Rivers.