0

granite versus quartz countertops

cityofhue
what do you recommend for a kitchen counter, granite or quartz?

Signature Home Services
    Depends on color, usage, budget and overall design. Some will say granite, some will say quartz!
    Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
    So many things to consider when making that decision! Aesthetic vs. Function to name a few. I will let the Interior Design Professionals chime in on this one! (FYI, I'm going with "honed marble" for my next Kitchen)!!
  • jillcdaniels
    I just got quartz and love it. Granite was very busy looking to me.
  • Ann
    See what you fall in love with, but please also consided leathered granite if granite is your choice.
    Capitol Group Kitchen and Bath Center
    Good question. The natural veining of granite tops can be truly spectacular! Every piece is unique and if sealed properly will last virtually forever. Note: The darker the granite the harder it is and less porous.
    Quartz counter tops are twice as hard as granite and far more environmentally friendly than granite and nearly non-porous.
    I would use quartz.
    Ruebl Builders LLC
    There is no right or wrong here!!! its a personal decision
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    We went with granite. There are many great looking quartz options. But every piece of granite is kind of like a snowflake. No two slabs are alike. Those variations give each piece a life of its own. That was the big reason we went for granite.
    Gem Marble and Granite Corp
    The good thing about quartz man made - size is always the same within the line you are purchasing from. Color consistency is generally not a worry. Many of the finer grain colors work nicely with modern concepts. The negatives - size is limited, manufacturers of man made quartz use the same machines for creating their slabs so you'll likely not see anything over 120",except for a few noted lines (silestone, pental quartz), with heights maxing out at 56.5 typically.
    The positives of granite - they look real and almost alive in some of their patterns. Certain colors despite today's technology can't be recreated. Sizes can be upwards of 132" in length, 72"+ in height.
    Bottom line is that both materials have purpose with the right arrangement.