Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kamcsmp

Can you tell me the color and type of wood on the floor?

kamcsmp
10 years ago
We are completely remodeling our shore home and want to go a little darker on the floor. I like the color, grain and width of the flooring.
Oceanfront Craftsman - Custom Home · More Info

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Oak & Broad
    10 years ago
    Take a look at Black Walnut if you have time. Here is Walnut floor we made for another Houzz user. joel@oakandbroad.com
    kamcsmp thanked Oak & Broad
  • kamcsmp
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Very helpful inputs. We were thinking Bamboo since we have pets. Any thoughts?
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    10 years ago
    While bamboo is very hard and durable it can not be refinished. There are also chemical concerns for a lot of homeowners. Do a Google search on bamboo floor problems. If you want a very hard and durable floor go with a dark stained hickory or maple. joel@oakandbroad.com
  • kamcsmp
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks, i will look into the concerns mentioned. I was not aware that Bamboo cannot be refinished. I was told it could be as long as it wasnt engineered.
  • PRO
    Kenorah Design + Build Ltd.
    10 years ago
    Hi kamcscmp, please see our response from Matt at Monarch Floors who is our primary trade for flooring on all our renovation and custom homes in the Lower Mainland in BC, Canada:
    Both engineered hardwood and bamboo can be good options. Please disregard the previous comments made by Joel as Bamboo if bought from the proper mills is both a safe and environmentally friendly option for your home. Teragren makes a fantastic product and is readily available all across North America (I am not sure where you live). Bamboo can be re-finished and the process is a bit different from your standard maple or oak. You will get a very different look from a Bamboo than you will from the regular domestic species (Oak, Maple, Hickory, Walnut or Birch). Some of the strand woven bamboo’s are a really nice look and the Synergy Java and Chestnut might be in the tones you are looking for (part of the Teragren line). If you want to stay with one of the domestic species they can all be stained to different colours. The exception being Walnut which already is a medium tone product and can only go darker. Let me know if I can help further – matt@monarchfloors.ca
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    10 years ago
    Find one installer that will guarantee a refinished bamboo floor that they did not provide or install originally. Kenorah most people end up having to replace bamboo flooring once it is damaged or worn, as a pro I assume you know that. On Houzz different Pros often have different opinions but we dont usually tell people to disregard others posts. Please go see the thread titled "wood flooring in the kitchen" to see how different ideas are shared. Thank you.
  • mike_cindy
    7 years ago

Thank you to Kenorah Designs - the actual pro on this project - for responding with the flooring information.