0

best basement flooring-laminate or vinyl

anateli
Help!
Can't decide between laminate or vinyl flooring for basement.
We want the wood look, but pros and cons aren't clear.
Any suggestions?
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    If they are both floating floors, you will be choosing between cost and feel. You will need a vapour barrier and a form of underlay. It is the underlay that will offer the "solid" feel that many people are looking for.

For basements, I always suggest using cork underlay (6mm = 1/4 inch) to offer up the type of warmth, sound deadening and "solid floor" that everyone wants but doesn't know how to achieve.

The install = vapour barrier = 6mil poly sheeting ($0.10/sf) + cork underlay ($0.63/sf) + floating flooring. This is the cheapest way to go to get the warmest, quietest option. The foam underlayments are squishy are poor insulators and cause most floors to bounce and click.

Of course, I would have to recommend a cork floating floor a basement...simply because it is the warmest, quietest option = $2.29/sf for a floating floor.
    anateli thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • VerNida Owens
    If there is a possibility of water damage; I would chose the new vinyl wood look slabs... I understand that the laminate will still warp and cannot be sanded down.
    anateli thanked VerNida Owens